Archived Topic

Niumatalolo being "strongly considered" for BYU HC job

by Fido · 12/8/2015

Advertisement
G
Gunk
I like Ken, but not his tripple option.



If BYU becomes tripple option team, I'm done. So boring. I'd take Anae over the triple option.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
It would take 3 years of recruiting before BYU could run the option successfully. And the fan base and the administration would HATE it. Not exactly the recipe for success for any coach. If Ken N loves the option that much he will just stay at Navy. He should know it would never fly at QBU!
C
Cougarfan87
I think we are kidding ourselves if we still think BYU is QB U. There was a time when BYU arguably had the best QBs around, as demonstrated by all the NCAA passing records that were being broken, and was rightly considered QB U (as was Miami). It hasn't been that way for a long time. I'm not saying we should close up shop and go to the triple option. But, seriously, we haven't had a QB stick in the NFL since Steve Young. We should probably recognize that the rest of college football has caught up with BYU on the forward pass.



Not that any of this matters. I think it will be Anae/Sitake or Sitake/Anae in some form or fashion...meaning one will be the HC and the other will be the Assistant Head Coach...well assuming the other would take the respective coordinator job.
B
BlueK
a1247 wrote:
It would take 3 years of recruiting before BYU could run the option successfully. And the fan base and the administration would HATE it. Not exactly the recipe for success for any coach. If Ken N loves the option that much he will just stay at Navy. He should know it would never fly at QBU!


I don't think he would run triple option, but I could see him try to go with a form of the spread option which is what they ran at UH when he played there. I'm not a fan of that either. With Tanner Mangum and the players we have have in the system the only offenses that would make sense are what we're doing now or more of an NFL type offense. We can get big linemen who can pass block. We have some good RBs in the pipeline, we've been getting better receivers and we have the QB for doing either of those two options well.
C
Cougarfan87
BlueK wrote:
It would take 3 years of recruiting before BYU could run the option successfully. And the fan base and the administration would HATE it. Not exactly the recipe for success for any coach. If Ken N loves the option that much he will just stay at Navy. He should know it would never fly at QBU!


I don't think he would run triple option, but I could see him try to go with a form of the spread option which is what they ran at UH when he played there. I'm not a fan of that either. With Tanner Mangum and the players we have have in the system the only offenses that would make sense are what we're doing now or more of an NFL type offense. We can get big linemen who can pass block. We have some good RBs in the pipeline, we've been getting better receivers and we have the QB for doing either of those two options well.


Overall, I think the Pro Style offense fits the types of recruits BYU gets better than any other. We don't have a deep enough QB pool to risk injury to QBs on a spread option type offense. We really need the starter to be healthy...Mangum being the pleasantly surprising exception.
Advertisement
B
BlueK
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I think we are kidding ourselves if we still think BYU is QB U. There was a time when BYU arguably had the best QBs around, as demonstrated by all the NCAA passing records that were being broken, and was rightly considered QB U (as was Miami). It hasn't been that way for a long time. I'm not saying we should close up shop and go to the triple option. But, seriously, we haven't had a QB stick in the NFL since Steve Young. We should probably recognize that the rest of college football has caught up with BYU on the forward pass.



Not that any of this matters. I think it will be Anae/Sitake or Sitake/Anae in some form or fashion...meaning one will be the HC and the other will be the Assistant Head Coach...well assuming the other would take the respective coordinator job.


I don't care about whether anyone calls us QBU or not. The fact is we currently have that type of QB on our team and it would be dumb not to take advantage of his arm for the next couple of years. And yes, as you say, protecting the QB has to be a high priority.
A
ABYUFAN
BlueK wrote:
I think we are kidding ourselves if we still think BYU is QB U. There was a time when BYU arguably had the best QBs around, as demonstrated by all the NCAA passing records that were being broken, and was rightly considered QB U (as was Miami). It hasn't been that way for a long time. I'm not saying we should close up shop and go to the triple option. But, seriously, we haven't had a QB stick in the NFL since Steve Young. We should probably recognize that the rest of college football has caught up with BYU on the forward pass.



Not that any of this matters. I think it will be Anae/Sitake or Sitake/Anae in some form or fashion...meaning one will be the HC and the other will be the Assistant Head Coach...well assuming the other would take the respective coordinator job.


I don't care about whether anyone calls us QBU or not. The fact is we currently have that type of QB on our team and it would be dumb not to take advantage of his arm for the next couple of years. And yes, as you say, protecting the QB has to be a high priority.

Agreed. He's "Freshman of the year" You don't get a brand new Jeep Rubicon and then only drive it on the roads, take that thing out and use it for what it's made for!
S
Schmoe
ABYUFAN wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I think we are kidding ourselves if we still think BYU is QB U. There was a time when BYU arguably had the best QBs around, as demonstrated by all the NCAA passing records that were being broken, and was rightly considered QB U (as was Miami). It hasn't been that way for a long time. I'm not saying we should close up shop and go to the triple option. But, seriously, we haven't had a QB stick in the NFL since Steve Young. We should probably recognize that the rest of college football has caught up with BYU on the forward pass.



Not that any of this matters. I think it will be Anae/Sitake or Sitake/Anae in some form or fashion...meaning one will be the HC and the other will be the Assistant Head Coach...well assuming the other would take the respective coordinator job.


I don't care about whether anyone calls us QBU or not. The fact is we currently have that type of QB on our team and it would be dumb not to take advantage of his arm for the next couple of years. And yes, as you say, protecting the QB has to be a high priority.

Agreed. He's "Freshman of the year" You don't get a brand new Jeep Rubicon and then only drive it on the roads, take that thing out and use it for what it's made for!


I think, in the case of Mangum and the triple option, the opposite analogy is probably more appropriate: you don't buy a brand new Ferrari and then take it off-roading, you use it for what it's made for.
A
ABYUFAN
Schmoe wrote:
BlueK wrote:
I think we are kidding ourselves if we still think BYU is QB U. There was a time when BYU arguably had the best QBs around, as demonstrated by all the NCAA passing records that were being broken, and was rightly considered QB U (as was Miami). It hasn't been that way for a long time. I'm not saying we should close up shop and go to the triple option. But, seriously, we haven't had a QB stick in the NFL since Steve Young. We should probably recognize that the rest of college football has caught up with BYU on the forward pass.



Not that any of this matters. I think it will be Anae/Sitake or Sitake/Anae in some form or fashion...meaning one will be the HC and the other will be the Assistant Head Coach...well assuming the other would take the respective coordinator job.


I don't care about whether anyone calls us QBU or not. The fact is we currently have that type of QB on our team and it would be dumb not to take advantage of his arm for the next couple of years. And yes, as you say, protecting the QB has to be a high priority.

Agreed. He's "Freshman of the year" You don't get a brand new Jeep Rubicon and then only drive it on the roads, take that thing out and use it for what it's made for!


I think, in the case of Mangum and the triple option, the opposite analogy is probably more appropriate: you don't buy a brand new Ferrari and then take it off-roading, you use it for what it's made for.

I thought of that one first, but then I realized that Mangum isn't fast or quick like a Ferrari, and a good Option QB would be. Taysom Hill was quick, strong and powerful like a Challenger Hellcat, so Mangum is specialized but more opposite than fast, more “open air’ and “the sky is the limit” and that's where I landed on Rubicon. Either way, we know what his skill set is, and that he may be the best in his class in the nation at that skill set, so why waste it on something that he's not suited for?
B
BlueK
I will say there is one thing that seems to be true of service academy coaches. Sometimes they leave for other jobs, but I actually can't think of a single example in the last 30 or so years where the coach left and didn't try to install the option at the new school. Paul Johnson at GT is one example, Ken Hatfield from Air Force at various other places after that always ran option.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
While Max Hall didn't stick in the NFL, I'd say that had more to do with his size than arm, but I am no expert.



Since Hall, we haven't had a passing QB. Heaps was supposed to be the next great, but he was so scared he couldn't make a completion. Nelson was a run first. Hill was a run first. So there has been a departure from the passing game as of late. Stewart was a passing QB and it was like a breathe of fresh air last season. Same goes with Mangum. Fact is BYU fans like/expect a strong passing game. It' fun. And, we've got a QB that not only made it through the entire season but put up 3000 yards and he still hasn't been home from his mission for year yet.



Now, BYU nation could get used to run-first, triple option football but it will take winning. Say we get Ken and he comes in and starts running the option and low and behold we go 11 - 1 next season. Well, he'd have some converts. Thing is I don't think he could win that many games. Plus, it'd be an absolute waste of a very special QB and receiving corps.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BlueK
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I think we are kidding ourselves if we still think BYU is QB U. There was a time when BYU arguably had the best QBs around, as demonstrated by all the NCAA passing records that were being broken, and was rightly considered QB U (as was Miami). It hasn't been that way for a long time. I'm not saying we should close up shop and go to the triple option. But, seriously, we haven't had a QB stick in the NFL since Steve Young. We should probably recognize that the rest of college football has caught up with BYU on the forward pass.



Not that any of this matters. I think it will be Anae/Sitake or Sitake/Anae in some form or fashion...meaning one will be the HC and the other will be the Assistant Head Coach...well assuming the other would take the respective coordinator job.


I don't care about whether anyone calls us QBU or not. The fact is we currently have that type of QB on our team and it would be dumb not to take advantage of his arm for the next couple of years. And yes, as you say, protecting the QB has to be a high priority.

Agreed. He's "Freshman of the year" You don't get a brand new Jeep Rubicon and then only drive it on the roads, take that thing out and use it for what it's made for!


I think, in the case of Mangum and the triple option, the opposite analogy is probably more appropriate: you don't buy a brand new Ferrari and then take it off-roading, you use it for what it's made for.

I thought of that one first, but then I realized that Mangum isn't fast or quick like a Ferrari, and a good Option QB would be. Taysom Hill was quick, strong and powerful like a Challenger Hellcat, so Mangum is specialized but more opposite than fast, more “open air’ and “the sky is the limit” and that's where I landed on Rubicon. Either way, we know what his skill set is, and that he may be the best in his class in the nation at that skill set, so why waste it on something that he's not suited for?


This was Crowton's huge failing on the field. There seems to be something kind of addicting about option football for some coaches. Crowton got hooked in 2001 and then couldn't beak the habit even when he didn't have a single QB on the roster for the next 3 years who could run it. But he tried anyway and QBs couldn't stay healthy and couldn't run the option plays worth a spit whenever he called them. It drove me insane.
U
urroner
Schmoe wrote:
I think, in the case of Mangum and the triple option, the opposite analogy is probably more appropriate: you don't buy a brand new Ferrari and then take it off-roading, you use it for what it's made for.


Hawkwing buys brand new Ferrari. :crazy:



Lady Hawkwing is highly displeased. Will he ever grow up? :angry:



Hawkwing returns Ferrari and buys minivan. :~(



Schmoe is car salesman and makes lot of money. :whistle:
S
Schmoe
ABYUFAN wrote:

I thought of that one first, but then I realized that Mangum isn't fast or quick like a Ferrari, and a good Option QB would be. Taysom Hill was quick, strong and powerful like a Challenger Hellcat, so Mangum is specialized but more opposite than fast, more “open air’ and “the sky is the limit” and that's where I landed on Rubicon. Either way, we know what his skill set is, and that he may be the best in his class in the nation at that skill set, so why waste it on something that he's not suited for?


Ah, I see what you're saying. I was just thinking that a guy like Mangum, who hurts himself when sliding to avoid contact, would probably hurt himself as much as a Ferrari in Moab.
A
a1247
If KM came in and installed the TripleO Tanner would have no choice but to transfer. The second he announced he was leaving the fans would turn on coach KN. If he really truly wants to run the TripleO I just don't see why Holmoe would hire him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
a1247 wrote:
If KM came in and installed the TripleO Tanner would have no choice but to transfer. The second he announced he was leaving the fans would turn on coach KN. If he really truly wants to run the TripleO I just don't see why Holmoe would hire him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

But don't we have another true freshman on our roster who would be perfect fort the option (Beau Hodge?) I'm not saying that I want that to happen, I'm just saying that there are some things in place if it did happen.



Also Mangum could probably declare for the draft this year and be taken in a later round by a team willign to develop him (Green Bay).
B
BlueK
a1247 wrote:
If KM came in and installed the TripleO Tanner would have no choice but to transfer. The second he announced he was leaving the fans would turn on coach KN. If he really truly wants to run the TripleO I just don't see why Holmoe would hire him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


All true. And this is why I'm glad we have Holmoe here.
B
BlueK
ABYUFAN wrote:
If KM came in and installed the TripleO Tanner would have no choice but to transfer. The second he announced he was leaving the fans would turn on coach KN. If he really truly wants to run the TripleO I just don't see why Holmoe would hire him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

But don't we have another true freshman on our roster who would be perfect fort the option (Beau Hodge?) I'm not saying that I want that to happen, I'm just saying that there are some things in place if it did happen.


That would be bad, IMO. Nothing against Hoge, but it would be a HUGE waste to do that to talent like Mangum.
A
ABYUFAN
BlueK wrote:
a1247 wrote:
If KM came in and installed the TripleO Tanner would have no choice but to transfer. The second he announced he was leaving the fans would turn on coach KN. If he really truly wants to run the TripleO I just don't see why Holmoe would hire him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

But don't we have another true freshman on our roster who would be perfect fort the option (Beau Hodge?) I'm not saying that I want that to happen, I'm just saying that there are some things in place if it did happen.


That would be bad, IMO. Nothing against Hoge, but it would be a HUGE waste to do that to talent like Mangum.

Agreed
F
Fido
ABYUFAN wrote:
If KM came in and installed the TripleO Tanner would have no choice but to transfer. The second he announced he was leaving the fans would turn on coach KN. If he really truly wants to run the TripleO I just don't see why Holmoe would hire him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

But don't we have another true freshman on our roster who would be perfect fort the option (Beau Hodge?) I'm not saying that I want that to happen, I'm just saying that there are some things in place if it did happen.



Also Mangum could probably declare for the draft this year and be taken in a later round by a team willign to develop him (Green Bay).


If you dump (essentially) Mangum to do an option with Hoge, BYU would have a hard time ever landing another passing QB or quality WR/TE.
Page 2 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.