Archived Topic

Niumatalolo being "strongly considered" for BYU HC job

by Fido · 12/8/2015

Advertisement
F
Fido
http://footballscoop.com/news/update-at-byu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



BYU’s administration is strongly considering Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo to replace outgoing head coach Bronco Mendenhall, sources within the coaching profession told FootballScoop this week.



The attraction between BYU and Niumatalolo is both mutual and obvious. Niumatalolo is Mormon, making him one of the few qualified candidates able to fulfill the requirement BYU places on its head football coach. Niumatalolo’s testimony was one of six featured in the documentary “Meet the Mormons,” a 2014 film produced by the LDS church. Moreover, Niumatalolo is an important figure in the Pacific Islander football community, a key recruiting base for BYU.



Beyond that, Niumatalolo’s oldest son Va’a is a sophomore linebacker at BYU, and his youngest son Ali’i committed to Boise State in October.



...



Given the importance of Saturday’s Army-Navy game, it is hard to think that Niumatalolo would give the opportunity substantial thought until after taking care of business.



...



In some coaching searches, five days can feel like an eternity. If a match between BYU and Niumatalolo were to fall through, we’re told Cougars offensive coordinator Robert Anae is viewed by BYU’s administration as a legitimate candidate and additional external candidates would be considered we’re told.
A
ABYUFAN
I'm most excited about Niumatalolo and Anderson.



I hate to see Bronco go, but this search has been fun for me to think about the posibilities.
I
Isola
My only issue with Niumatalolo is having to spell his last name. Good thing it is in the title of the thread.



He understands coaching when football is not #1. He has Poly connections, which is so critical especially if Anae follows Bronco.



I'm also not worried about the triple option. I doubt he can't run a different offence with a different situation.
S
Schmoe
The longer it takes to announce a replacement, the more I think it's going to be Ken N, because I don't think they'd announce him (or perhaps even get a formal interview at BYU) until after Army v Navy.
S
snoscythe
Yet another article raking in the links for reporting nothing new atrributed to nameless sources that, if you think about it for half a moment, know nothing more than any of us do.



"sources within the coaching profession" means they called some coach with some previous history at BYU, and said, "who are they looking at?" This guy, who has no inside knowledge into TH or the administration said, "Gee, I bet their top choice is Ken out there at Navy, but he's still in regular season, so I doubt they'd announce that hire any time soon. Other than him, I bet Bob Anae gets a chance to interview." Slap the anonymous credibility of "sources within the coaching profession" and you've got a click-generating article based on what anyone who's paid attention to the program over the past season would guess.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
I'm sure he was likely one of the first 3 called about interest in the job. I guess that's strongly considered.



If it gets to Friday, and no one is announced, I think the likelihood of it being Ken N goes way up.
S
SpiffCoug
Fido wrote:

Given the importance of Saturday’s Army-Navy game, it is hard to think that Niumatalolo would give the opportunity substantial thought until after taking care of business.

Let's be honest, preparing for Army requires very minimal amounts of time. They're a bad team.



You think BYU has problems playing the Utes?



Those are nothing compared to Army playing the Midshipmen.
I
imuakahuku
Isola wrote:
My only issue with Niumatalolo is having to spell his last name. Good thing it is in the title of the thread.



He understands coaching when football is not #1. He has Poly connections, which is so critical especially if Anae follows Bronco.



I'm also not worried about the triple option. I doubt he can't run a different offence with a different situation.


I very much doubt he would try to implement the triple option. He was a pass first kind of guy in H.S. and led his team to a prep bowl title with his arm. All three service academies use the triple option because they cannot get the elite level players and require a much greater team effort to be successful. I would expect him to go Lavell style pass offense if he were hired. But it would also be the OC that would install the offense. In his interview with the OC he would have determined if he wants that O but it would be up to the OC to put it in.
S
scott715
He would not try to add the triple option. We don't have the athletes for it and our O is already sound and set in the current system.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Via Sikahema said that Niumatalolo would implement the triple option if he were hired at BYU.
Q
Qman
hawkwing wrote:
Via Sikahema said that Niumatalolo would implement the triple option if he were hired at BYU.




On twitter?
M
mtnradio
hawkwing wrote:
Via Sikahema said that Niumatalolo would implement the triple option if he were hired at BYU.


Surely, you jest.
A
a1247
hawkwing wrote:
Via Sikahema said that Niumatalolo would implement the triple option if he were hired at BYU.

I have no interest in watching BYU run the triple option! I want Ken just not his offense.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
I've always loved watching triple option offenses, both to see them gash defenses, and to see the pitch man get nailed. But I am not sure how well it would work at BYU. Hoge would love it. Mangum, not so much. BYU could recruit players to run it well...a big bruising full back type has been pretty easy to come by at the Y. But it would probably drive away a lot of offensive talent. But, maybe without joining the Big XII we will need a system that doesn't need top shelf talent. In a world where defenses are built to stop spread offenses, and independent BYU plays new teams all the time, perhaps pounding the rock could be a competitive advantage. What a waste of Mangum that would be, though.
C
Cougs_Rule
Please. The triple option at BYU? Give me a break. Next.
D
Ddawg
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Please. The triple option at BYU? Give me a break. Next.


No kidding. Triple option at "Quarterback U"??? That is blasphemous. Heresy. Unthinkable.
S
stuckinbig10country
He said it on the radio today. But it's what he's run for 20 years. And yes, BYU could recruit to it. But why do that when you can recruit QBs like Beck, Hall, Hill and Mangum.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:
He said it on the radio today. But it's what he's run for 20 years. And yes, BYU could recruit to it. But why do that when you can recruit QBs like Beck, Hall, Hill and Mangum.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

don't forget heaps and Nelson!



Actually, Nelson would have done pretty well as an option qb.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.