Archived Topic

Petersen to UW!

by NDCougar · 12/6/2013

Advertisement
N
NDCougar
craigoscarson wrote:
CP is a good choice at UW... and CP made a good choice to go... the real question is what is UW's viability as a perennial top 25 team when you consider he's basically 3rd place behind Phil Knight and the Ducks and Stanford nearly every year...



I have no doubt that CP is a better HC than Sark... but Nike = Oregon and Stanford = Stanford that's quite the uphill climb.



Best of luck to him and it no doubt is a better job, but it's no easy task that he's taking on.


I would not be shocked if David Shaw left Stanford in the near future for the NFL. Prior to Harbaugh Stanford was irrelevant for years......if they lose Shaw things could change.
F
frdbtr
Washington is a sleeping giant. Sark got them on the right track. Chris Peterson will have them as a NC contender in the next few years.
N
NDCougar
BoiseBYU wrote:
I thought he stayed in Boise St. because of family reasons:



http://bleacherreport.com/articles/890247-boise-state-football-why-chris-petersen-is-staying-put-in-idaho



See also:



https://twitter.com/murphsturph/status/142794925740797954



He has turned down many many coaching jobs over the years. It would be interesting to compile a list and see why he chose Washington over all the others.



Stanford

Arizona

UCLA

USC



Which others can we add?


He's a big time family guy. His son just graduated from high school, so no more kids in school to uproot. He seemed somewhat detached, as I noted with not even calling the plays on offense. I think he's ready for a new challenge. I am somewhat surprised it is WA.


Why are you surprised it is UW? Not disagreeing, I don't know if that is a surprise or not. It seems like a good fit, bigger conference without the media attention etc of an LA.
S
SpiffCoug
I find this humorous because on Tuesday Gunther and his co-host were saying that Utah is a better job than UW.
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
It's as if 28,000 Boise State fans cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced, not by being cut off, but just by the fact that 28K in a stadium build for 37k doesn't produce a lot of sound.

I thought you were about to go all Ben Kenobi on us!
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
I find this humorous because on Tuesday Gunther and his co-host were saying that Utah is a better job than UW.


You are surprised that a couple ute hacks think the ute job is better than UW? That is why I don't listen to local sports radio. They are a bunch of ute lovers who claim to be unbiased.
B
BoiseBYU
NDCougar wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:
I thought he stayed in Boise St. because of family reasons:



http://bleacherreport.com/articles/890247-boise-state-football-why-chris-petersen-is-staying-put-in-idaho



See also:



https://twitter.com/murphsturph/status/142794925740797954



He has turned down many many coaching jobs over the years. It would be interesting to compile a list and see why he chose Washington over all the others.



Stanford

Arizona

UCLA

USC



Which others can we add?


He's a big time family guy. His son just graduated from high school, so no more kids in school to uproot. He seemed somewhat detached, as I noted with not even calling the plays on offense. I think he's ready for a new challenge. I am somewhat surprised it is WA.


Why are you surprised it is UW? Not disagreeing, I don't know if that is a surprise or not. It seems like a good fit, bigger conference without the media attention etc of an LA.


Petersen's roots are in California and he recruited So. Cal. heavily at BSU. He'd grab some of those recruit who now are heading to Oregon me-would-have-thought....Just speculating. His offense works best with very fast WR and RB and WA has not historically been able to recruit like that...So. Cal does....Oh well
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
It's as if 28,000 Boise State fans cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced, not by being cut off, but just by the fact that 28K in a stadium build for 37k doesn't produce a lot of sound.

I thought you were about to go all Ben Kenobi on us!

I use the force for inspiration.
J
jonnylingo
NDCougar wrote:
CP is a good choice at UW... and CP made a good choice to go... the real question is what is UW's viability as a perennial top 25 team when you consider he's basically 3rd place behind Phil Knight and the Ducks and Stanford nearly every year...



I have no doubt that CP is a better HC than Sark... but Nike = Oregon and Stanford = Stanford that's quite the uphill climb.



Best of luck to him and it no doubt is a better job, but it's no easy task that he's taking on.


I would not be shocked if David Shaw left Stanford in the near future for the NFL. Prior to Harbaugh Stanford was irrelevant for years......if they lose Shaw things could change.


I am still not sold on Shaw. I would wait a few more years before investing in him. I wonder if he is still riding Harbaugh's coattails.
C
Cougarbib
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I am curious what the Washington fans think of this. If it were me, I would be like :munch: when Sark left, but now :D to have Peterson.


I am a Washington fan. And I think it is a great move for both UW and CP - already said that above. Time will tell whether he is a good coach or an incredible coach.



Most UW fans, but not me, were already getting weary of Sark. Fans are fans. They think they had the talent to finish this seadon the same way it started - ranked early.



They will not be content with 4 losses next year either. They will not expect a NC next year. They will not expect to be undefeated. They will be disappointed but get over it if they do not get a BCS Bowl.



They will expect 10+ wins. USC does not come to UW next year. Not sure if UW plays them at all. UW will expect to win next time they play USC. UW did not hire CP as a consolation prize. They expect him to be better next year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Chris Peterson will be the best head coach they have had since the Don james years. UW just pulled a huge Coup to get him.
C
Cougarbib
NDCougar wrote:
2012



Cursory look indicates that Michigan State - loss, BYU - win by 1 point 7-6 after Hill missed open receiver on 2-point conversion, and SDSU - loss were the toughest regular season oppinents.



BYU did go 8-5 with bowl win over SDSU iirc. Can't remember if SDSU and MSU had 8. Pribably did.



Regular season. BSU lost 2 of 3 to decent oppinents before nipping WASHINGTON by 2 in LV Bowl. Not sure if UW had 8 wins.



11-2 is a down year for BSU. Down mainly because they actually olayed 4 decent enough teams. No killers on the schedule.



Go look at the up years. Undefeated years. 1-loss years. Schedule plays a part.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


We get it, you don't buy into CP. I look at results and he has produced, tough to do much better with what he has.....he cannot recruit with the big boys yet consistently beats them. You make excuses for every validation for BSU. He is a winner, the record shows it. Schedule always plays a part, that is an obvious statement, but so does being a good coach. Make as many excuses or justifications as you like, CP is a solid coach. All the programs that have been interested in him must be missing something?



In 2010 BSU lost a game to Nevada (with Kapernick in OT), they should have won and gave it away. If they won they would have played for the NC.....let me repeat that he was one game from the NC AT BSU (not a BCS school)!



Feel free to believe what you will, we won't agree and but he is a great coach. We will see if it continues.


Elite coach. Genius. But gave away a shot st NC to Nevada?



Don't get me wrong. He is clearly s good coach. I will wait until he shows he can rise up to contend tegularly contend for PAC Championships before I jump to him being tje Next Urban Meyer or even Don James. I think he id a great hire and deserves the opportunity.



Even if he becomes s petrenisl 3rd place PAC 12 North - still a pretty good coach.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
Chris Peterson will be the best head coach they have had since the Don james years. UW just pulled a huge Coup to get him.


He might be better than Don James. I am patient. I will wait and see. Very good hire. He should at least be as good as Sark from day 1 or UW fans will be disappointed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
Chris Peterson will be the best head coach they have had since the Don james years. UW just pulled a huge Coup to get him.


He might be better than Don James. I am patient. I will wait and see. Very good hire. He should at least be as good as Sark from day 1 or UW fans will be disappointed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well, since Don James won a NC at UW, he would have to win one to get to his level. Don James is to the Huskies what Lavell is to BYU.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Chris Peterson will be the best head coach they have had since the Don james years. UW just pulled a huge Coup to get him.


He might be better than Don James. I am patient. I will wait and see. Very good hire. He should at least be as good as Sark from day 1 or UW fans will be disappointed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well, since Don James won a NC at UW, he would have to win one to get to his level. Don James is to the Huskies what Lavell is to BYU.


And by any objective measure Bronco is right there with Edwards, but way too many fans thought Edwards had plateaued and that BYU needed someone who could take BYU to the next level. Fans will be fans.



I will not be even slightly shocked if CP rises up and wins a NC at UW. I will be evrn less shocked if he does not.



Great opportunity for CP and UW was smart to give him a shot.



I hope THIS for CP. I hope UW does not schedule him right into the Abyss. UW has wised up a bit, but not totally. Go look at their OOC schedule in the dark years preceding Sark. Look at it even now. Stupid, really. A team that is playing Oregon and Stanford every year, and USC, UCLA, and ASU on a rotating cycle, with AZ and OSU mixed in and Utah and WSU dangerous and CAL or Colorado the only breathers, does not need to schedule tough teams OOC.



In the dark years, OOC had teams like Nebraska, LSU, ND, etc., and no breathers. That would kill any coach.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
2012



Cursory look indicates that Michigan State - loss, BYU - win by 1 point 7-6 after Hill missed open receiver on 2-point conversion, and SDSU - loss were the toughest regular season oppinents.



BYU did go 8-5 with bowl win over SDSU iirc. Can't remember if SDSU and MSU had 8. Pribably did.



Regular season. BSU lost 2 of 3 to decent oppinents before nipping WASHINGTON by 2 in LV Bowl. Not sure if UW had 8 wins.



11-2 is a down year for BSU. Down mainly because they actually olayed 4 decent enough teams. No killers on the schedule.



Go look at the up years. Undefeated years. 1-loss years. Schedule plays a part.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


We get it, you don't buy into CP. I look at results and he has produced, tough to do much better with what he has.....he cannot recruit with the big boys yet consistently beats them. You make excuses for every validation for BSU. He is a winner, the record shows it. Schedule always plays a part, that is an obvious statement, but so does being a good coach. Make as many excuses or justifications as you like, CP is a solid coach. All the programs that have been interested in him must be missing something?



In 2010 BSU lost a game to Nevada (with Kapernick in OT), they should have won and gave it away. If they won they would have played for the NC.....let me repeat that he was one game from the NC AT BSU (not a BCS school)!



Feel free to believe what you will, we won't agree and but he is a great coach. We will see if it continues.


Elite coach. Genius. But gave away a shot st NC to Nevada?



Don't get me wrong. He is clearly s good coach. I will wait until he shows he can rise up to contend tegularly contend for PAC Championships before I jump to him being tje Next Urban Meyer or even Don James. I think he id a great hire and deserves the opportunity.



Even if he becomes s petrenisl 3rd place PAC 12 North - still a pretty good coach.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Yes, look it up. Only loss that year, they were #3 in the BCS standings at the time. He was on OT from having BSU in an NC.



http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Boise_State_Broncos_football_team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Look under schedule.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
ND. I was not disputing that. Just making a wise crack that the guy being touted by you as being the greatest coach ever, in the words used in the very same post,



GAVE THE GAME AWAY TO NEVADA. Elite coaches do not GIVE GAMES AWAY, especially to inferior teams.



The scheduling is smart. Lightening in a bottle in a season opener or early game vs a highly ranked opponent. Think Miami @BYU Detmer. Eat cake other than unranked OSU in Boise. Oops lose to Nevada - first real test in a long time.



At least they did beat the Utes in Their bowl game



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
NDCougar
Ridiculous post, Nick Saban just gave the game to Auburn......he must not be elite. If you want ignore facts, statistic, opinions of other programs do what you want. If you cannot see top coaches when they sit right in front of you not sure what to say.....and yes elite coaches do lose to inferior opponents or we would never have upsets (Carrol has been upset, so has Saban, so has Meyer, so had Belichik, so has Lavell......).



He has dominated teams in the same conference, he will recruit better and have more talent. It is truly amazing that he had BSU contending to play in NC......if you cannot see that is amazing I don't know what to say. He played with the top teams in the country and beat them, did not take solice in playing it close)



Please tell me is record vs ranked teams and compare that to other top coaches, I would love to see it.....can't wait see how you justify this (which you will). On a percentage basis he competes with anyone with inferior talent, recruiting, resources etc. Must be luck? Must be from Hawkins 8 years ago, silly!
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
Chris Peterson will be the best head coach they have had since the Don james years. UW just pulled a huge Coup to get him.


He might be better than Don James. I am patient. I will wait and see. Very good hire. He should at least be as good as Sark from day 1 or UW fans will be disappointed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well, since Don James won a NC at UW, he would have to win one to get to his level. Don James is to the Huskies what Lavell is to BYU.


And by any objective measure Bronco is right there with Edwards, but way too many fans thought Edwards had plateaued and that BYU needed someone who could take BYU to the next level. Fans will be fans.



I will not be even slightly shocked if CP rises up and wins a NC at UW. I will be evrn less shocked if he does not.



Great opportunity for CP and UW was smart to give him a shot.



I hope THIS for CP. I hope UW does not schedule him right into the Abyss. UW has wised up a bit, but not totally. Go look at their OOC schedule in the dark years preceding Sark. Look at it even now. Stupid, really. A team that is playing Oregon and Stanford every year, and USC, UCLA, and ASU on a rotating cycle, with AZ and OSU mixed in and Utah and WSU dangerous and CAL or Colorado the only breathers, does not need to schedule tough teams OOC.



In the dark years, OOC had teams like Nebraska, LSU, ND, etc., and no breathers. That would kill any coach.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Objective measure: National Championship: LaVell 1 - Bronco 0
C
Cougarbib
Bronco needs to schedule 1 of those for himself. You saw the list Spiff made of # of 8 win opponents. There was 1984 right at the bottom. But, yes, Lavell has one. Bowl record - Bronco owns LaVell. Both great coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 3 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.