C
craigoscarsonI would rather be completely wrong and be reminded about it for eternity if Houston doesn't lose another game all year... because it's good for BYU and that would make me very happy that we beat a 12-1 Houston team. What's good for BYU and BYU recruiting is infinitely more important to me than being right.
However, I didn't see a lot of talent on that team and I truly believe that had Taysom not thrown that pick 6, we might have deflated them and kept our foot on their throats all game, instead we breathed life in them and they maintained it the entire game..... It certainly didn't help that Craig Bills didn't play, nor did it help that JW got hurt. I don't care if Houston was 5-0 or 1-4; I just don't see a great team. I'm happy BYU won, but I think the rest of the season will expose Houston as a pretty average team. Not great, not terrible...
Here's the difference between Houston and Texas
Houston- great coaching, undersized talent
Texas - amazing talent, terrible coaching
at the end of the year we will find that neither are top 25 teams... the difference is we smoked Texas and eked past Houston...
I am very happy BYU won, but I wonder what the tone of this forum would be if 1. We had built a 20-30 point lead and then let Houston almost win (or rather I think the way in which we won is exciting enough to forget we could have easily lost) 2. Or had BYU lost by 1-2 points
In spite of Taysoms numbers, we still could have lost that game... I think the tone here would have been very very different... and it would have only taken 1 dropped pass, 1 fumble, etc. The W is the most important thing, but this is a sports forum where we talk about the past, present, and future. I think what we'll find in the future is that BYU did just enough to beat an average team, but that it was still a monumental game for our players confidence.
What I'm baffled about is that somehow people are seeing this as criticism...like somehow if you believe that Houston is middle of the road, that you're somehow not as much of a BYU fan as the guy that thinks that this game deserves to go down in history with the Miami, Oklahoma, Cotton Bowl, Miracle Bowl types of games... to me it's more like the shootouts we had against Hawaii back in the day.
However, I didn't see a lot of talent on that team and I truly believe that had Taysom not thrown that pick 6, we might have deflated them and kept our foot on their throats all game, instead we breathed life in them and they maintained it the entire game..... It certainly didn't help that Craig Bills didn't play, nor did it help that JW got hurt. I don't care if Houston was 5-0 or 1-4; I just don't see a great team. I'm happy BYU won, but I think the rest of the season will expose Houston as a pretty average team. Not great, not terrible...
Here's the difference between Houston and Texas
Houston- great coaching, undersized talent
Texas - amazing talent, terrible coaching
at the end of the year we will find that neither are top 25 teams... the difference is we smoked Texas and eked past Houston...
I am very happy BYU won, but I wonder what the tone of this forum would be if 1. We had built a 20-30 point lead and then let Houston almost win (or rather I think the way in which we won is exciting enough to forget we could have easily lost) 2. Or had BYU lost by 1-2 points
In spite of Taysoms numbers, we still could have lost that game... I think the tone here would have been very very different... and it would have only taken 1 dropped pass, 1 fumble, etc. The W is the most important thing, but this is a sports forum where we talk about the past, present, and future. I think what we'll find in the future is that BYU did just enough to beat an average team, but that it was still a monumental game for our players confidence.
What I'm baffled about is that somehow people are seeing this as criticism...like somehow if you believe that Houston is middle of the road, that you're somehow not as much of a BYU fan as the guy that thinks that this game deserves to go down in history with the Miami, Oklahoma, Cotton Bowl, Miracle Bowl types of games... to me it's more like the shootouts we had against Hawaii back in the day.

