Archived Topic

Houston DC Gibbs > Anae

by Brayden Green · 10/19/2013

Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
Byu was a bigger more physical team than Houston. For Byu to try and establish the run in the 3rd( slow down the game, cut down on TO's, control T.O.P etc.) It didn't shock me at all.

The Byu staff wasn't in houstons locker room to know what they were going to do. My guess is that Byu didn't want the type of game in the first half to happen again in the 2nd half.

The game plan looked to be to establish the run and control the clock better. That plan didn't work. Jamal was hurt, Houston blitzed almost every down and our O-Line looked worn down. Further adjustments were made that got us the win.



To me the drop off in the second half was less about play calls and more about 1. UH blitzing/defensive adjustments 2. OL looked tired 3. Jamal being out. Play calls would be 4th on my list.
B
blue42
stgeorgefan wrote:
So if we are saying that Anae didn't make the adjustments, then who/what do you credit for the last drive? Considering that the last drive looked nothing like the 3rd quarter play calls, I'm curious to see if you want to put it all on the players and not on the play calls.



Once again the general rule of thumb for fans:



wins=There are no wins even if BYU has more points at the end of the game. Or, BYU was suppose to win, but the coaching sucks because they should have won by more.

loses=coaches


Fixed it for you.
J
jonnylingo
For the record, Anae's plays calling has looked pretty darn good the last few games.
B
Brayden Green
jonnylingo wrote:
For the record, Anae's plays calling has looked pretty darn good the last few games.


It's look good at times, he is mixing it up more, passing on first and second down, etc. So I will give him that.



He still isn't adjusting to what the defense is doing, and taking what is given to him. Slow developing plays against an all out blitz isn't the answer. If Taysom didn't allude the blitz, and got hit every time they were in the backfield the sack count would have gotten into the high teens, if not twenties. That is not adjusting your offense. Not properly.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
BlueIsBetter wrote:





False. The reverse of your argument is true.



If Robert Anae > Houston DC Gibbs because of statistics, than Houston OC > Bronco because of statistics.



But when you factor in talent level

- on offense, we have a ton compared to their defense.

- our defensive secondary is literally down to walk ons with Bills out.



Then that shows you that less was done with more iwth our offense AND more was done with less in our defensive secondary (not the other way around, as you implied.)



Thanks for playing, though. :D


No, thank YOU for playing!



For the record I am very happy with the win last Saturday, and I hope that Houston does in fact earn a few people lunch on craigoscarson.



But I just watched the game for the fourth time, and I gotta say that the one unit that performed worse than I expected was the defensive front and linebackers. They did good, but not as good as I've come to expect; so many missed tackles! I think if they had done what they've done in the past, BYU wins handily.



Using pure talent that was available on the field that afternoon, offense did as good as expected, Anae did better than expected, and special teams did about what I expected (though I didn't know about that freshman top-ten returner they've got).



And I suppose you probably know better than everybody else, but the Houston sites I've visited before and after the game sport lots of articulate posters who sound like they are pretty up-to-date with their team, and they would take strong objection to your "they don't have talented players" argument. They think their recruiting is getting better and better.



But they might have red goggles on; they were pretty cocky.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Ygridiron4ever wrote:





False. The reverse of your argument is true.



If Robert Anae > Houston DC Gibbs because of statistics, than Houston OC > Bronco because of statistics.



But when you factor in talent level

- on offense, we have a ton compared to their defense.

- our defensive secondary is literally down to walk ons with Bills out.



Then that shows you that less was done with more iwth our offense AND more was done with less in our defensive secondary (not the other way around, as you implied.)



Thanks for playing, though. :D


No, thank YOU for playing!



For the record I am very happy with the win last Saturday, and I hope that Houston does in fact earn a few people lunch on craigoscarson.



But I just watched the game for the fourth time, and I gotta say that the one unit that performed worse than I expected was the defensive front and linebackers. They did good, but not as good as I've come to expect; so many missed tackles! I think if they had done what they've done in the past, BYU wins handily.



Using pure talent that was available on the field that afternoon, offense did as good as expected, Anae did better than expected, and special teams did about what I expected (though I didn't know about that freshman top-ten returner they've got).



And I suppose you probably know better than everybody else, but the Houston sites I've visited before and after the game sport lots of articulate posters who sound like they are pretty up-to-date with their team, and they would take strong objection to your "they don't have talented players" argument. They think their recruiting is getting better and better.



But they might have red goggles on; they were pretty cocky.


For all the "Houston is good and our team played well" posters out there, not one person has seriously taken me up on my "Houston will lose at least 3 more games this season" wager. Says a lot... Does anyone really believe Houston is a good team? If so why haven't they stepped up to the plate. For Heavens sake, it's just lunch....
C
Cougarbib
I watched my DVR missing start and end. Here are some things I noticed that have not been discussed.



First - so many mistakes were made in so many places it is impossible to remember them without taking notes



The defense started to unravel early 2nd Qtr. One thing I have not seen mentioned was the significant number of DEFENSIVE penalties that greatly extended several Houston drives. Late hits and unsportsmanlike, etc. Even KVN jumped off sides.



Missed tackles have been mentioned.



Our punting was mediocre early, but was good late.



Houston, punted extremely well and they had great returners when BYU punted.



BYU offense kept slugging away and overcoming the horrible field position and their own mistakes.



Anae did go more conservative right after announcer dais wow, Hill is lucky not to have gotten his 3td interception. Later he did get picked again.



The best measure of how badly JDub was missed was when Hine or Algie ran into Hill on 4th and 1 in field goal range - killed a great drive.



Snaps low and on the ground.



Sloppy execution.



We will see more of that vs our 3 tough remaining opponents and especially when players are jet-lagged while trying to GFGH.



But yes - Texas would beat Houston if they played Saturday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stgeorgefan
Cougarbib wrote:
I watched my DVR missing start and end. Here are some things I noticed that have not been discussed.



First - so many mistakes were made in so many places it is impossible to remember them without taking notes



The defense started to unravel early 2nd Qtr. One thing I have not seen mentioned was the significant number of DEFENSIVE penalties that greatly extended several Houston drives. Late hits and unsportsmanlike, etc. Even KVN jumped off sides.



Missed tackles have been mentioned.



Our punting was mediocre early, but was good late.



Houston, punted extremely well and they had great returners when BYU punted.



BYU offense kept slugging away and overcoming the horrible field position and their own mistakes.



Anae did go more conservative right after announcer dais wow, Hill is lucky not to have gotten his 3td interception. Later he did get picked again.



The best measure of how badly JDub was missed was when Hine or Algie ran into Hill on 4th and 1 in field goal range - killed a great drive.



Snaps low and on the ground.



Sloppy execution.



We will see more of that vs our 3 tough remaining opponents and especially when players are jet-lagged while trying to GFGH.



But yes - Texas would beat Houston if they played Saturday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


All of your breakdown and not once did you mention play calling on offense. 8)



As far as Houston and it's recruiting. Didn't they have a 5 star WR(transfer from ND) Also wasn't their QB a big recruit as well? It looked like Houston had talented skill players but they were mixed in with mediocre players.
S
stgeorgefan
Checked it out.

WR that took the kick to the house Ayers=3 star,4.44 40

QB O'korn was 3 star, 38th overall.

Their Kicker who i was really impressed with was the #1 coming out of HS.

The 5 star WR i mentioned before Greenbury, was the 7th best WR in his class at 5 stars.

Most of their D-line is 3 star guys.



Overall they have mostly two star guys sprinkled with 3 star guys. Not as bad as I thought at all especially their 2012-2014 classes.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
stgeorgefan wrote:
Checked it out.

WR that took the kick to the house Ayers=3 star,4.44 40

QB O'korn was 3 star, 38th overall.

Their Kicker who i was really impressed with was the #1 coming out of HS.

The 5 star WR i mentioned before Greenbury, was the 7th best WR in his class at 5 stars.

Most of their D-line is 3 star guys.



Overall they have mostly two star guys sprinkled with 3 star guys. Not as bad as I thought at all especially their 2012-2014 classes.



I think I heard the announcer say that one of the defenders was the leading tackler in high school in the entire state of Texas. That's pretty impressive. Friday night lights, anyone.
Advertisement
G
golong
In watching the game again on BYUTV last night, I changed my mind. Houston was pretty darn good, a very fast team, an impressive freshman QB, some great receivers. Their Dline just owned our Oline, they blew by our offensive linemen like they were statues in a was museum. Granted, we have some young Olinemen, but this is the 8th game now, you'd think they could learn how to pass block by now. If Hill had even decent pass protection, he'd be averaging 400 yards per game and be leading the country in passing...and maybe rushing too.



I too thought Houston would be a poor team because they haven't played anybody, but I never saw any of their games, maybe those teams they played are pretty good teams, just not good enough to win against good team yet, it's hard to say. But anybody he says Houston is a lousy team doesn't know football, or talent, or speed, or good coaching.



If the Oline comes to play against BSU, BYU wins in a cakewalk, but it will probably be another close one.
C
craigoscarson
I too thought Houston would be a poor team because they haven't played anybody, but I never saw any of their games, maybe those teams they played are pretty good teams, just not good enough to win against good team yet, it's hard to say. But anybody he says Houston is a lousy team doesn't know football, or talent, or speed, or good coaching.


Must be true... I don't know football, or talent, or speed, or good coaching... ;)



I do know how to form an argument and a sentence. I also know, that no one said Houston is "lousy." However some of us believe that Houston is average at best.



Average does not mean lousy. Average means we beat a team we were supposed to beat and some of us talking heads believe we should have done it by more than 1 point.



Houstons remaining schedule will tell us what we need to know... if they're average or worse, I expect that they'll lose at least 3 more games. If not, then maybe I don't know a thing about talent... (I'll bet my former collegiate employers would be surprised to know that considering they hired me to spot and recruit talent for them. Granted it was hoops so maybe there are two different kinds of talent and speed ;) )
J
Jarhead
craigoscarson wrote:

For all the "Houston is good and our team played well" posters out there, not one person has seriously taken me up on my "Houston will lose at least 3 more games this season" wager. Says a lot... Does anyone really believe Houston is a good team? If so why haven't they stepped up to the plate. For Heavens sake, it's just lunch....


A lot of this depends on the definition of a good team. Would a young 8-4 Houston team with close losses to two teams currently ranked in the twenty five and two other solid teams be a bad team?



I don't think they finish any worse than 8-4, but I can see 8-4 as a real possibility. On the other hand, I think they have a decent chance to be able to be able to win against any of their remaining opponents, which is why I wouldn't be shocked to see them in the running for their conference championship either.



As you've said it's hard to know since they had such a soft opening schedule, and I doubt any of us watched any of their games before last Saturday.
C
Cougarbib
craigoscarson wrote:
I too thought Houston would be a poor team because they haven't played anybody, but I never saw any of their games, maybe those teams they played are pretty good teams, just not good enough to win against good team yet, it's hard to say. But anybody he says Houston is a lousy team doesn't know football, or talent, or speed, or good coaching.


Must be true... I don't know football, or talent, or speed, or good coaching... ;)



I do know how to form an argument and a sentence. I also know, that no one said Houston is "lousy." However some of us believe that Houston is average at best.



Average does not mean lousy. Average means we beat a team we were supposed to beat and some of us talking heads believe we should have done it by more than 1 point.



Houstons remaining schedule will tell us what we need to know... if they're average or worse, I expect that they'll lose at least 3 more games. If not, then maybe I don't know a thing about talent... (I'll bet my former collegiate employers would be surprised to know that considering they hired me to spot and recruit talent for them. Granted it was hoops so maybe there are two different kinds of talent and speed ;) )


Craig



Actually the person who keeps posting as though you and he are 100% in agreement, Blue, said that any 2nd or 3rd string player for BYU would START for Houston. ANY. you need to be careful associating too closely with Mr. Hyperbole.



The same Blue keeps making the assinine post that because any 2nd or 3rd stringer would start for Houston, Anae, even though he scored 47 totally earned points, was outcoached by the guy he scored upon. He seems to think you agree with that and since you still have not called him out on that assumption, others think you agree.



Just in case you do, whether Houston wins all of their remaining games or loses all of them avoids the more obvious way to actually assess the level of assininity of that assertion that it was Anae who got outcoached.

The better way Craig:



Which remaining Houston opponent do you think will have its OFFENSE ring up 47 totally earned points and 700 yards on Houston. Those that think Anae was outcoached due to Hoyston having such lousy players that ANY BYU 2nd or 3rd STRINGER would start for Houston, would expect several more teams to do that to the Houston DC - actually they need to do more than that ti show Anae did not accomplish much.



Louisville might. I doubt anyone else will come close. If Anae is matched or outdone by Louisville - he still did fine. If any and all 4-2 type teams they play exceed what Anae did then maybe Anae was outcoached.



Be careful who you align with. Yoy are usually quite a bit more credible.



I do not hear much argument with your assertion that Houston is probably an 8-4 team or worse.



The argument is this:



They are not lousy

Not every 2nd or 3rd string BYU player would start for Houston

If a BYU coach got outcoached, it was not Anae.



I doubt that Houston is going to score 46, 39, or even 37 points vs Louisville.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Cougarbib wrote:
I too thought Houston would be a poor team because they haven't played anybody, but I never saw any of their games, maybe those teams they played are pretty good teams, just not good enough to win against good team yet, it's hard to say. But anybody he says Houston is a lousy team doesn't know football, or talent, or speed, or good coaching.


Must be true... I don't know football, or talent, or speed, or good coaching... ;)



I do know how to form an argument and a sentence. I also know, that no one said Houston is "lousy." However some of us believe that Houston is average at best.



Average does not mean lousy. Average means we beat a team we were supposed to beat and some of us talking heads believe we should have done it by more than 1 point.



Houstons remaining schedule will tell us what we need to know... if they're average or worse, I expect that they'll lose at least 3 more games. If not, then maybe I don't know a thing about talent... (I'll bet my former collegiate employers would be surprised to know that considering they hired me to spot and recruit talent for them. Granted it was hoops so maybe there are two different kinds of talent and speed ;) )


Craig



Actually the person who keeps posting as though you and he are 100% in agreement, Blue, said that any 2nd or 3rd string player for BYU would START for Houston. ANY. you need to be careful associating too closely with Mr. Hyperbole.



The same Blue keeps making the assinine post that because any 2nd or 3rd stringer would start for Houston, Anae, even though he scored 47 totally earned points, was outcoached by the guy he scored upon. He seems to think you agree with that and since you still have not called him out on that assumption, others think you agree.



Just in case you do, whether Houston wins all of their remaining games or loses all of them avoids the more obvious way to actually assess the level of assininity of that assertion that it was Anae who got outcoached.

The better way Craig:



Which remaining Houston opponent do you think will have its OFFENSE ring up 47 totally earned points and 700 yards on Houston. Those that think Anae was outcoached due to Hoyston having such lousy players that ANY BYU 2nd or 3rd STRINGER would start for Houston, would expect several more teams to do that to the Houston DC - actually they need to do more than that ti show Anae did not accomplish much.



Louisville might. I doubt anyone else will come close. If Anae is matched or outdone by Louisville - he still did fine. If any and all 4-2 type teams they play exceed what Anae did then maybe Anae was outcoached.



Be careful who you align with. Yoy are usually quite a bit more credible.



I do not hear much argument with your assertion that Houston is probably an 8-4 team or worse.



The argument is this:



They are not lousy

Not every 2nd or 3rd string BYU player would start for Houston

If a BYU coach got outcoached, it was not Anae.



I doubt that Houston is going to score 46, 39, or even 37 points vs Louisville.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


1. It's a sports forum, doesn't affect a thing regardless of who I align with. In this case, I agree with blueisbetter that Houston is not a top 25 team and might not be a top 50 team. I think people are realizing that as they rewatch the game and tape. Houston played up to us, we played down to them and we would have ended the game in the 1st quarter if it were not for silly turnovers and special teams play. If people think that by agreeing in part with someone, that it means I agree with them as a whole then they've got issues. I don't for one second think blueisbetter thinks I agree with him 100%. I know him to be pragmatic and thoughtful and I think more than anything we have an opinion of who Houston is that isn't terribly far apart, but we're hardly 100% in agreement, nor do we need to be. I think it's others that are drawing that incorrect conclusion, not him,



2. The amount of points scored might change against other teams, style of play, number of snaps, do they huddle etc. Total points doesn't tell the entire story. It's possible to only score 21 points and for an offensive coordinator to have done his job well if there weren't turnovers, it kept the opposing defense on the field and wore them out, you dominated field position etc. 21 would have been enough against Utah and Virginia... I will judge Houston going forward based on what I see from them in totality. Not just points, not just yards, but how they look against quality teams since they will now play some quality teams. If they beat some of those teams or if they manage to lose by razor slim margins, like against us, then I might admit that Houston is better than I give them credit for. If they don't, then I will believe that BYU underperformed against Houston. At the end of the day it's a 1 point win, don't let the totals fool you. I'll take it though.... light years better than a 1 point loss.



3. I do agree that BYU has more size and talent and again the only way we'll really know is to see what Houston does going forward. They can strengthen or weaken my argument.... I guess we'll see. Like I said, I would rather be wrong and have Houston win everything else, because it looks good for BYU. I just don't see it.



4. I'm learning to be a lot more tolerant of people on these forums. As long as they can make a good argument and don't waffle back and forth, I'm willing to hear them out. Usually the best indicator if their opinion is right or wrong.... is time. People spent a lot of time (years) discussing Heaps vs Nelson. I stayed out of that one (rarely ever posted about the qb debacle back then, it just gave me headaches and it was nauseatingly never ending), simply because once we saw Heaps as a soph with the deer in the headlights games, it was abundantly clear that we had been fooled and excited by hype and with Nelson there was simply a lack of talent.



Time probably proved everyone right. Heaps was not as good as his billing. Nelson not as good AND not as bad as some people thought, but at the end of the day mediocre.



I have a feeling that Houston will turn out in time (but this year) as an average team. Not lousy, not great... average 8-4 or worse with their schedule will be average. We beat an average team by 1 point. While I may not get many people arguing with me now on what Houstons record will be going forward, I promise you that they'll come out of the woodwork if Houston wins out... (so where are those people now?)



5. The best predictor of success is past behavior. With the exception of having a VIP tell me that the Big 12 deal is done for BYU (and I bought it hook line and sinker), I'm batting close to 100%. I don't take terribly many leaps, but when I do I think my record stands on its own, particularly when it comes to assessing talent. I'm seeing something about Houston that leads me to believe their 5-0 record and the way in which they nearly beat BYU is smoke and mirrors. Nothing has changed my mind about it. Do I agree with blueisbetter in entirety? No, but I'm glad he has an opinion...and there is some truth to the argument he makes. I do believe that Anae had the benefit of talent on his side and that Houston had a better scheme. Talent and Anaes decent scheme was 1 point better than Houston and their decent scheme and undersized talent. It was close and a close game gives people on each side an ability to make an argument. Ultimately Houston will have a say in who is right as they play out the rest of their schedule... again for the 100th time, I would love to be wrong. Houston winning everything else on their schedule is good for BYU and anything that's good for BYU, is good for me.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
craigoscarson wrote:



I have a feeling that Houston will turn out in time (but this year) as an average team. Not lousy, not great... average 8-4 or worse with their schedule will be average. We beat an average team by 1 point. While I may not get many people arguing with me now on what Houstons record will be going forward, I promise you that they'll come out of the woodwork if Houston wins out... (so where are those people now?)


For what it is worth, I believe you to be wrong. I see them losing two more games at most, and perhaps winning out. Please don't consider my unwillingness to bet on it a statement that I'm unsure of my opinion. I have pretty strict personal rules regarding gambling.



For example, I'll eat a hot dog from a roller grill at a gas station. That is pretty much the ultimate gamble. I can't afford to waste any of my potential good fortune on something as mundane as sports.
J
jonnylingo
If we played houston again, we would bet them by more than two touchdowns. i will stand by that. that game got out of hand from small mistakes made by us that we usually do not make. it was a good wake up call.
C
Cougs_Rule
jonnylingo wrote:
If we played houston again, we would bet them by more than two touchdowns. i will stand by that. that game got out of hand from small mistakes made by us that we usually do not make. it was a good wake up call.


Like false start penalties, sacks, and INT's? ;) :D

But then again, neither would they make some mistakes.

BYU is also still susceptible to deep balls, inadequate plays to pick up blitzes, and a thin Oline that is working its butt off but prone to fatigue and missed assignments.

Not sure I would put money on a rematch. "Pigs get fat and Hogs get slaughtered." Take our narrow comeback victory and whatever luck was involved and move on.

Though I do want to believe what you are suggesting.
C
craigoscarson
jonnylingo wrote:
If we played houston again, we would bet them by more than two touchdowns. i will stand by that. that game got out of hand from small mistakes made by us that we usually do not make. it was a good wake up call.


Not only do I agree, but Vegas agreed with you from day 1. The guys that risk their fortunes on needing to be right had this as high as a 11.5 point spread (quite high considering they were 5-0 and playing at home, but it reveals that Vegas didn't believe in Houston). BYU underperformed against Houston and Houston overachieved...



Personally the way the game started, it looked as if we had gone mistake free the game could have been 48-14. We let them back in confidence-wise and we got a ball game... it happens. We've done the same with the Wyomings of the world.
C
Cougarbib
jonnylingo wrote:
If we played houston again, we would bet them by more than two touchdowns. i will stand by that. that game got out of hand from small mistakes made by us that we usually do not make. it was a good wake up call.


I agree with this. BYU Special Teams woukd not likely give up a 95 Yard KOR to anyone. It rarely happens. BYU rarely gives up a safety. BYU has been known to give up pick 6, Int in tje enfzone, fumnle near the goal line, kill a red zone opportunity with penalties, etc. So 3 turnovers and 140 yards of penalties could happen. But probably less of both.



More importantly, the defense does not give up 30 points all on its own even suffering bad calls which often happen.



None of that is Robert Anae getting out coached. Someone else - maybe. Not Anae - imperfect and stubbirn as he may be.



And



Houston is not lousy

All BYU 2nd and 3rd stringers would not start for Houston

Anae did not get outcoached by a DC that gave up 47 points



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 4 of 6
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.