S
Sammichcraigoscarson wrote:For those of you arguing that Houston wasn't good because their 5-0 record is weak, you can't make that argument without also downgrading BYU's national championship. 5-0 is a good team, and beating them means something. Not being a well-tested team is not the same as being a bad team. Why is half the forum suddenly pulling an Airwolf?
Because BYUs 84 team beat nationally ranked teams, had a dozen future NFLers on the team, and did it for more than 5 games... the comparison is silly and this is the 3rd person that has brought it up. It's silly, Houston's schedule is garbage...
I doubt they manage better than .500 after this game. Glad we won, but calling a spade a spade doesn't mean we're devolving into airwolf...
I didn't for one second call for ammon olsen, or type a "peace out, I'm done" post after Utah. I just don't think Houston is very good and I'm happy that our team did just barely enough to win today... but I don't think our performance was great and I don't think our competition was great...
(I also don't think Arizona is great... and they're abusing Utah right now)
You're not calling a spade a spade, you're calling something a spade with insufficient data as to whether it's a spade. Five wins where they didn't play well above such weak competition would never have suggested what they did today to us, so those performances should be taken with as much a grain of salt as you're suggesting we should take with this win (which most of us understand doesn't look amazing on our resume anyway). You're deliberately taking the pessimistic view, which is where the Airwolf comparison comes from. Nobody is saying they are world-beaters. Nobody is beating their chest over the win. Yes, people thought Taysom did some great things, and he deserves the credit because very few quarterbacks have done what he did today even against very weak competition. We didn't look awesome this game, and Houston looked a lot better than I and many others expected them to. I don't understand the insistence that people are being blind or stupid by suggesting that Houston looked like a pretty good team today.

