Archived Topic

If Anae gets the UNLV job

by Mars · 12/1/2009

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Mars wrote:
Mars wrote:
What if we bump Doman to OC and offer Detmer the qb coach spot? I think they could really be a dynamic duo.
What's Coach Doman's track record as an OC at other schools?
Same as Anae's before he came on board.
True, and good point. Sometimes it's a hit, but other times it's a miss. See: Rose, men's basketball. See: Sanford, UNLV football.



I actually wonder if Sanford might be a better OC than Anae. Or Crowton. I don't think so for either of them. Doman, maybe. Kragthorpe, strong maybe. Any other "pie in the sky" ideas to toss out here while I'm dreaming? Houston's OC perhaps? And I'll say it again, I don't even strongly dislike Anae, he has brought us a long way and a lot of wins...


I would take Crowton as an offensive coordinator. He has proven to be a winner as an OC, just don't let him make decisions on 4th down or bog him down with head coaching responsibilities. As far as putting an offensive game plan together he is pretty darn good. Since Crowton has been gone I can't think of a single game where I think that our offensive game plan actually won a game that we shouldn't have. Our current offense is based on execution and not wrinkles that can beat better teams. Look to Utah's game plan against Alabama for an example of how a good offensive game plan can change a game.
G
gmj81
BYUROCKS wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:
From what I have heard Robert is the next HC for BYU once Bronco leaves, I don't see him leaving for UNLV.




Wait, once Bronco leaves? Is this what you alluded to earlier?




No, don't worry, I think he will be here for at least 2-5 more seasons, but remember he said, he was not a long term HC.


That was said before this season when Bronco relinquished the DC duties to Hill. He has since said that he's had a lot more fun this season and a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.



I could see Bronco staying at least another 8-10 years if not longer as long as he has good and competent coaches whom he trusts.
G
gmj81
scott715 wrote:
I thought Reid was the next HC?


Nothing is set in stone but while I'm sure he would consider it, I think he'll be waiting a while for Bronco to step down.



Plus, his support in Philly seems to have been rejuvenated the past couple of seasons.
G
gmj81
hawkwing wrote:
My concern with Anae leaving is the polynesian connection we're potentially losing. How do we keep that in full swing?


We still have coach Kaufusi but no doubt having two poly coaches helped. Thing is, I don't recall hearing all that much about Coach Anae's recruiting success. Coach Anae is a great teacher and that is what we would missed most if he left.
B
BYUROCKS
gmj81 wrote:
BYUTIME wrote:
From what I have heard Robert is the next HC for BYU once Bronco leaves, I don't see him leaving for UNLV.




Wait, once Bronco leaves? Is this what you alluded to earlier?




No, don't worry, I think he will be here for at least 2-5 more seasons, but remember he said, he was not a long term HC.


That was said before this season when Bronco relinquished the DC duties to Hill. He has since said that he's had a lot more fun this season and a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.



I could see Bronco staying at least another 8-10 years if not longer as long as he has good and competent coaches whom he trusts.


Sweet, I missed him saying that, to be honest, I would love it if he pulled a LeVell, and stayed for ever ;) ;)
Advertisement
G
gmj81
Lawboy wrote:
We have always had a solid Poly connection due to the fact that many LDS kids on the islands want to play for BYU. Or their parents want them to. That will not change. Ron McBride recruited the Poly's amazingly well. It was all about his attitude, and his doing well in that community is what got the Utes better.



As to a new OC, I am not a huge Kragthorpe guy. The OC that made Tulsa hum was Gus Malzahn, and he is not the OC at Auburn. Kragthorpe was good, Mazlzahn got Tulsa great. I am an alum of their law program, so I follow them a little too.



I think the UNLV job goes to the Steelers RB Coach. He wa sthe runner up last time, he still wants it bad, and he would be a good fit for that town. He is African American, and could recruit LV best and keep kids at home. If he did not get it, or Willingham next on list, I would be surprised.


Agreed. I'm not sold on Kragthorpe. I think I'd sooner hire Sanford than Kragthorpe but I'd also give the job to Doman before hiring Sanford. There might be a few more options out there but I'd love to somehow work some of the old players back into the program. It would be great to get Detmer involved but I don't know if he'd be ready for the OC job right away, if for no other reason for the pressure and heat he'd take. He's been out of the NFL for a number of years now and not really involved with any football from what I recall so it would be best to ease him back into things. Plus, I don't think Detmer is a proud guy. I don't think he'd have a problem being the QB coach under Doman even though he's older than him and had a better college career.
G
gmj81
Wickchad84087 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
What if we bump Doman to OC and offer Detmer the qb coach spot? I think they could really be a dynamic duo.
What's Coach Doman's track record as an OC at other schools?
Same as Anae's before he came on board.
True, and good point. Sometimes it's a hit, but other times it's a miss. See: Rose, men's basketball. See: Sanford, UNLV football.



I actually wonder if Sanford might be a better OC than Anae. Or Crowton. I don't think so for either of them. Doman, maybe. Kragthorpe, strong maybe. Any other "pie in the sky" ideas to toss out here while I'm dreaming? Houston's OC perhaps? And I'll say it again, I don't even strongly dislike Anae, he has brought us a long way and a lot of wins...


I would take Crowton as an offensive coordinator. He has proven to be a winner as an OC, just don't let him make decisions on 4th down or bog him down with head coaching responsibilities. As far as putting an offensive game plan together he is pretty darn good. Since Crowton has been gone I can't think of a single game where I think that our offensive game plan actually won a game that we shouldn't have. Our current offense is based on execution and not wrinkles that can beat better teams. Look to Utah's game plan against Alabama for an example of how a good offensive game plan can change a game.


While I agree Crowton is an offensive genius and much better suited as an OC than an HC, I think that ship has sailed. Let's not reopen old wounds. Plus, he has seemed to stagnate a little too after a couple of years at each stop he's been. But that's what they said about Chow too then look what he did at USC. I'm sure he's learned new things at each stop he's been but you also have to have a pretty amazing pool of talent to consistently have the kind of success either of them have had during their peak years of success.
U
UVACoug
Wickchad84087 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
What if we bump Doman to OC and offer Detmer the qb coach spot? I think they could really be a dynamic duo.
What's Coach Doman's track record as an OC at other schools?
Same as Anae's before he came on board.
True, and good point. Sometimes it's a hit, but other times it's a miss. See: Rose, men's basketball. See: Sanford, UNLV football.



I actually wonder if Sanford might be a better OC than Anae. Or Crowton. I don't think so for either of them. Doman, maybe. Kragthorpe, strong maybe. Any other "pie in the sky" ideas to toss out here while I'm dreaming? Houston's OC perhaps? And I'll say it again, I don't even strongly dislike Anae, he has brought us a long way and a lot of wins...


I would take Crowton as an offensive coordinator. He has proven to be a winner as an OC, just don't let him make decisions on 4th down or bog him down with head coaching responsibilities. As far as putting an offensive game plan together he is pretty darn good. Since Crowton has been gone I can't think of a single game where I think that our offensive game plan actually won a game that we shouldn't have. Our current offense is based on execution and not wrinkles that can beat better teams. Look to Utah's game plan against Alabama for an example of how a good offensive game plan can change a game.


You do realize that LSU has one of the worst offenses in the country this year, don't you? I love Crowton and wish he was as good as he has shown at times throughout his career. I would welcome him back as OC in a second if I thought he was a good coordinator. Unfortunately, after his initial year at every program he has been at, his success has consistently dropped off rapidly.



I like Anae and hope he stays as long as possible. He isn't flashy like other offensive coaches, but he gets the job done and has developed one of the most prolific offenses in the country over the last five years. I do think he gets hired away as a HC at some point. He seems like a good teacher and from what I have seen of him (which isn't much) he seems to have a level headed demeanor that would work well as an administrator of a team.
S
snoscythe
UVACoug wrote:
I would take Crowton as an offensive coordinator. He has proven to be a winner as an OC, just don't let him make decisions on 4th down or bog him down with head coaching responsibilities. As far as putting an offensive game plan together he is pretty darn good. Since Crowton has been gone I can't think of a single game where I think that our offensive game plan actually won a game that we shouldn't have. Our current offense is based on execution and not wrinkles that can beat better teams. Look to Utah's game plan against Alabama for an example of how a good offensive game plan can change a game.


You do realize that LSU has one of the worst offenses in the country this year, don't you? I love Crowton and wish he was as good as he has shown at times throughout his career. I would welcome him back as OC in a second if I thought he was a good coordinator. Unfortunately, after his initial year at every program he has been at, his success has consistently dropped off rapidly.


Just thought I'd provide the stats that back up what you are saying.



Here is where Gary Crowton's offense ranks nationally this year (SEC rankings in parentheses):



Rushing Offense 84 (11)

Passing Offense 100 (9)

Total Offense 108 (11)

Scoring Offense 75 (10)



Those aren't the kind of numbers that make me think, "Hey, we should give that guy money to do that here." Really though, I just want an offense that can put up more than 7 points against TCU.
A
Anonymous
Mars wrote:
What if we bump Doman to OC and offer Detmer the qb coach spot? I think they could really be a dynamic duo.

What's Coach Doman's track record as an OC at other schools?


Yes, and what was Bronco's track record as a head coach when he was promoted? For the love of heaven! Get with the program man!
Advertisement
B
blue42
scott715 wrote:
I thought Reid was the next HC?


That was already tried here and remember the remark of disappointing 9 million mormons? ;)
B
blue42
hawkwing wrote:
ps. I also do not support any offense where the whole team lines up into position and then looks back to the sideline for the play. I don't like it, it's gimmicky, and I don't feel like the players get the training they deserve to make it in the next level.


I agree with this 100%, you want they players on the field being able to read what is going on and make the adjustments on the field.



I always laugh every time I watch a team that always looks back to the sideline to get the play change it always reminds me of honking your horn at a herd of deer on the side of the road and how each one of their heads fly up to look.
C
CougarPeasant
I thought Reynolds was the next choice behind Kwhitt before Mendenhall was urged by the players. Therefore, I would think he'd get the gig should Bronco leave in the next 5 years. Reynolds is the assistant head coach.



I would like to see Doman promoted to OC should Anae move on to another program.



Hill won't be getting an HC spot until he puts together a stong defense for a couple of seasons as the DC.
S
SpiffCoug
Reynolds was going to be hired. Then Holmoe had one more interview with Bronco and that was when Bronco won Holmoe over with his vision and plan for BYU.



Also a good point of teams looking to the sidelines. The really great offensive teams are the ones where the individual players can read the defense on their own and can make their own adjustments. And are on the same page with their QB so that the adjustments they think and what the receivers to make are the ones actually being made.
P
ProV1
I would like to see Ben Cahoon somehow get involved. He epitomizes the kind of recruit we seem to frequently get (not incredibly quick but incredibly smart and reliable) and his success and experience would be valuable.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
kitic77 wrote:
The really great offensive teams are the ones where the individual players can read the defense on their own and can make their own adjustments. And are on the same page with their QB so that the adjustments they think and what the receivers to make are the ones actually being made.


With the obvious exception of the 2008 Sooners, right? They were only the highest scoring offense in the history of college football.
S
snoscythe
ProV1 wrote:
I would like to see Ben Cahoon somehow get involved. He epitomizes the kind of recruit we seem to frequently get (not incredibly quick but incredibly smart and reliable) and his success and experience would be valuable.


Cahoon would be great, but he needs one more season in Montreal to complete his assault on the CFL record books.
F
Florwood
BYUROCKS wrote:
From what I have heard Robert is the next HC for BYU once Bronco leaves, I don't see him leaving for UNLV.


He was promised this by the same guy that made the same promise to Norm Chow.
D
Ddawg
snoscythe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
What if we bump Doman to OC and offer Detmer the qb coach spot? I think they could really be a dynamic duo.

What's Coach Doman's track record as an OC at other schools?


Same as Anae's before he came on board.


Bingo!
G
gmj81
If Anae goes, I'd love to see Doman and Reynolds be co-offensive coordinators (Reynolds would also stay RB and assistant head coach) and bringing in Detmer to work with the QBs. They could come up with the game script together but have Coach Reynolds in the box on gameday to manage the in-game adjustments and keep Doman on the sideline to fire up and/or calm down the offensive guys.



If Higgins ever decides to move on to a higher paying job (as he's not LDS), I wouldn't mind bringing in Cahoon for the WR coach.



If we somehow were to lose both Higgins and Hill, I'm torn between whether or not we should go after Roderick and Sitake. Quite a few people seem to think they would come back to the Y in a heartbeat. On the one hand, it would kill puke recruiting and completely set them back decades. Yet on the other, I would hate to "reward" them for letting some of the stuff that happens in this rivalry go on up there as former Cougars. And I would hate for any puke fans to think that we need their coaches to win.
Page 2 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.