Archived Topic

Jimmer suffering with the Kings

by KYCoug · 2/6/2012

Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
Dcr36 wrote:
I think Derrick Williams went to Arizona, right?



NBA officiating is pretty meh with a lot of deference to superstars, for sure. Still, I don't get why so many sports fans are turned off by the NBA. It's still good basketball. I thought that, before the lockout, the NBA was at its best since the mid-90s. Better than the Iverson years, at least.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

What's weird is the politics of the NBA and what goes on behind the scenes is more interesting to me than anything... So I guess I can say I like the NBA in that regard... although the lock out crap kind of turned me off a little bit. Thus the anger
S
Schmoe
jmvcougar wrote:
I think Derrick Williams went to Arizona, right?



NBA officiating is pretty meh with a lot of deference to superstars, for sure. Still, I don't get why so many sports fans are turned off by the NBA. It's still good basketball. I thought that, before the lockout, the NBA was at its best since the mid-90s. Better than the Iverson years, at least.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

What's weird is the politics of the NBA and what goes on behind the scenes is more interesting to me than anything... So I guess I can say I like the NBA in that regard... although the lock out crap kind of turned me off a little bit. Thus the anger


So, you like the NBA because of officials betting on games and David Stern fixing the playoffs so certain teams make the finals? I guess I'm confused or naive, because the behind the scenes stuff is what turns me off of the NBA.
G
Gunk
The egos of players, all the strikes, etc. have turned me off to NBA basketball.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
Gunk wrote:
The egos of players, all the strikes, etc. have turned me off to NBA basketball.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


and that's different from all the other professional sports....how?
S
snoscythe
The NBA has a real problem right now because their product is no longer appealing to the white middle-class. It has become a sport that, right or wrong, the white middle-class has come to associate with street life, gangstas, and thugs. It's something they have a hard time relating to, and once you lose that connection, the other stuff becomes harder to look past. If the NBA wants to get back into real revenue growth, they have to figure out a way to lure back the everyday white middle-class, because that's where the money is, and right now the NFL is taking all of it.
Advertisement
K
kfilly20
JVMcougar i can find plenty of college and high school players who dont play defense. You think all these college players forget how to shoot once they get to the nba? Or do you think the defense is vastly superior? I would assume the latter to be true.
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
The NBA has a real problem right now because their product is no longer appealing to the white middle-class. It has become a sport that, right or wrong, the white middle-class has come to associate with street life, gangstas, and thugs. It's something they have a hard time relating to, and once you lose that connection, the other stuff becomes harder to look past. If the NBA wants to get back into real revenue growth, they have to figure out a way to lure back the everyday white middle-class, because that's where the money is, and right now the NFL is taking all of it.

And having a player who is from the white middle-class who it seems is being shutout by those associated with street life, gangstas and thugs and it only compounds the problem.
M
mizzoucoug
kfilly20 wrote:
Anyone who says there is no defense in the NBA doesn't know anything about basketball. You should go to an NBA game and sit close to the floor, their defense is so good, obviously there are a few teams and or players who cant or wont defend, but the good teams defend the hell out of the ball. Jimmer is not defending even close to adequate right now, these are NBA players, if you let them get down the lane they are going to score everytime. That is whats happening with Jimmer.


You keep saying that as if Jimmer is getting taken to school every time down the court but it just isn't true. Tyreke and Thornton (and IT) have been burned on D far more times than Jimmer has. Why do you think every single time Jimmer subs in the Kings are already down 15 points in the 1st or early 2nd quarter? Is the team's pathetic defense Jimmer's fault because he's not cheering hard enough?



You are merely parroting what you have read and not commenting at all on the reality of the games. Do I wish Jimmer played more aggressive D like he did on that steal last game? Of course. I think he is a bit lazy on D, but when push comes to shove nobody has taken advantage of these perceived weaknesses you have bought into.
G
Gunk
CougarClaw wrote:
The egos of players, all the strikes, etc. have turned me off to NBA basketball.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


and that's different from all the other professional sports....how?


I hardly watch any professional sports.
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
The NBA has a real problem right now because their product is no longer appealing to the white middle-class. It has become a sport that, right or wrong, the white middle-class has come to associate with street life, gangstas, and thugs. It's something they have a hard time relating to, and once you lose that connection, the other stuff becomes harder to look past. If the NBA wants to get back into real revenue growth, they have to figure out a way to lure back the everyday white middle-class, because that's where the money is, and right now the NFL is taking all of it.


Very, very true.



Wasn't long ago the NBA trumped the NFL. The NFL is grabbing fists full of market share.
Advertisement
K
kfilly20
mizzoucoug wrote:
Anyone who says there is no defense in the NBA doesn't know anything about basketball. You should go to an NBA game and sit close to the floor, their defense is so good, obviously there are a few teams and or players who cant or wont defend, but the good teams defend the hell out of the ball. Jimmer is not defending even close to adequate right now, these are NBA players, if you let them get down the lane they are going to score everytime. That is whats happening with Jimmer.


You keep saying that as if Jimmer is getting taken to school every time down the court but it just isn't true. Tyreke and Thornton (and IT) have been burned on D far more times than Jimmer has. Why do you think every single time Jimmer subs in the Kings are already down 15 points in the 1st or early 2nd quarter? Is the team's pathetic defense Jimmer's fault because he's not cheering hard enough?



You are merely parroting what you have read and not commenting at all on the reality of the games. Do I wish Jimmer played more aggressive D like he did on that steal last game? Of course. I think he is a bit lazy on D, but when push comes to shove nobody has taken advantage of these perceived weaknesses you have bought into.


I am not parroting anything. I have watched almost every single Kings game this year, take your Jimmer goggles off man. I love Jimmer, I want him to succeed, I think he will be a semi successful player ala JJ Redick, there are very very few rookies who come into the league as functional defensive players. I'm not saying IT is playing better than Jimmer, but the team has been winning as Jimmer sits. Whether it be jealous teammates or whether Jimmer is really hurting the team defensively that much I dont know. I am sure he is trying his hardest on D, but these are the fastest most athletic people on the planet and sometimes trying just doesnt cut it. He needs to find his role, I dont think being the starting PG on the most selfish team in the league is it right now. Although I wouldnt mind seeing it just so I have something to watch. Im sorry if I have offended anyone in regards to the Jimmer but its just the way I see things.
D
Dcr36
snoscythe wrote:
The NBA has a real problem right now because their product is no longer appealing to the white middle-class. It has become a sport that, right or wrong, the white middle-class has come to associate with street life, gangstas, and thugs. It's something they have a hard time relating to, and once you lose that connection, the other stuff becomes harder to look past. If the NBA wants to get back into real revenue growth, they have to figure out a way to lure back the everyday white middle-class, because that's where the money is, and right now the NFL is taking all of it.


I don't disagree, but this perception bothers me. Largely because I think it's not true. I think it WAS true during those aforementioned Iverson years (which included the Jailblazers, the Thuggets, the Malice in the Palace, etc.)



But if you look at the current crop of NBA stars, most of them aren't that thuggish. The only NBA stars I can think of who seem like real-life dirtbags are Kobe and Carmelo. Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard, Dirk Nowitski, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, etc. I think LBJ is a weirdo prima donna, but he's hardly a thug. Derrick Rose's only scandal has a whole lot more to do with his alma mater than him personally.



To be honest, between Ben Roethelisberger, Michael Vick, Terrell Pryor, Bill Bellichic, Plaxico Burress, Ray Lewis, James Harrison, Ndamukong Suh, etc. I'd say the NBA feels cleaner than the NFL the last 4 years or so. Add in all the NCAA football violation stuff and maybe even Sandusky and football seems kinda dirty lately.



Don't get me wrong, I love the two football leagues more than their basketball counterparts. I just wonder why there's a discrepancy in perception.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
I think part of the discrepancy in the NFL can hide the physical appearance and intimidation under pads and helmets and they have strong anti-celebration/anti-taunting policies which are, in my mind, aimed exactly at nipping that thug perception in the bud. The NBA has adopted the thug-life styling of the Fab-Five (long baggy shorts anyone?), and they can't hide the tattoos and they don't do much about the intimidation glares and posturing of the Kevin Garnetts of the world. In football, we lose the ability to read many facial expressions and read lips, but you can read Kevin Garnett's lips dropping the f-bomb at least three times every Celts game. You also get full blown coverage of wierdos like Birdman, Rodman, and Delonte West every weeknight, whereas the NFL hides those things under pads and strict uniform policy.....Ochocinco is as extreme as NFL stylings get.



If the NBA were a more physical game that made things more understandable (see: Ray Lewis), or if they had uniforms that transformed the individual into a generic marketing piece of league marketing from head to toe, they'd get the same benefit the NFL gets from their pads and the violent nature of the game. The UFC can market gangstas and nutjobs because white middle-class folk understand that a violent sport requires gangstas and nutjobs. There's more violence there, so the tolerance is greater. The UFC is also a sport evolved from the dark corners of society. In the NBA, a sport evolved from white-collar academies, which is a finesse and skill sport slightly more violent than baseball, the thug-life is less understandable/integral to the game, and they can't hide it like the NFL.



I'm not saying it's right to have different standards, I'm just offering you explanation for the difference in perception.
A
AJP
Getting back to Jimmer, he's having a pretty good game so far tonight. 2 assists (he should've had a third) and he's hit a 3.
B
beauso79
Imagine if Jimmer had been on the Knicks right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
beauso79 wrote:
Imagine if Jimmer had been on the Knicks right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Ideal situation. A coach that LOVES the 3, and a team that seems to be able to share the spotlight (for now anyway). Anyone who has watched Jeremy Lin knows that Jimmer could do the same thing. Lin isn't even the greatest ball handler, but he has a green light and confidence right now and a team that supports his every move.
J
JamieVallen
kfilly20 wrote:
JVMcougar i can find plenty of college and high school players who dont play defense. You think all these college players forget how to shoot once they get to the nba? Or do you think the defense is vastly superior? I would assume the latter to be true.

I'm sort of lost sorry. I'm sure there's plenty of talentless kids playing high school because daddy goes out for beers on Saturday nights or they go holding together. No section of sports is more political than high school... But I wasn't talking about high school. College is a little different much smaller pool of players and some are even paid to play... But there's a lot more guys in college who seem like they actually want to be there and to prove themselves... NBA is chalked full of lazy morons who mostly know where they stand and try hard to do the bare minimum just to collect another check.



Do you guys really not get what I'm talking about? Do you watch a NBA basketball game and really get that into it? I just don't understand it I guess. It's far less exciting than college to me and I'm not sure if that is due to the really long season, or just laziness... It's kind of the same reason a lot of people hate baseball for the first half, then are okay with it after the all star game, and by the time October rolls around there tends to be a lot more emotion and you can actually see teams trying their best to win it all. College basketball is just a condensed time frame and most teams are playing their asses off from the first game on...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Not only that jmv, but NBA games are glorified scrimmages until the 4th quarter. Then the trailing team will try to make a run, if not the scrimmage continues.
D
Ddawg
beauso79 wrote:
Imagine if Jimmer had been on the Knicks right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Perfect. That's exactly what Jimmer needded. The Kings suck - out loud.
D
Dcr36
Yeah, a lot of games during the NBA's regular season aren't terribly engaging. I blame the 82-game schedule. I try to be judicious about which games I actually watch - teams usually get up for big games that could swing the playoff picture.



I'm actually not sure the Knicks would be a good fit for Jimmer. Lin's skill-set is different than Jimmer's - a lot more slashing and driving, with a short to mid game that doesn't remind me of Jimmer at all. Plus, with Lin's emergence, that team is overstuffed with offensive options (remember that Amare was the guy making the headlines last season with his scoring - and they still have Carmelo and Chandler). Jimmer would still be a bench player for them.



But I would agree that almost ANY situation would be better for Jimmer than the Kings. You have the messy organization that's usually inherent with lottery teams, combine it with some coaching turnover and a complete logjam in the "shoot first point guard" category - not a great situation.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 3 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.