Archived Topic

Jimmer suffering with the Kings

by KYCoug · 2/6/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Give teams another week or two to watch film on Lin and i wouldn't be surprised to see a big drop off in his production
Q
Qman
SpiffCoug wrote:
Give teams another week or two to watch film on Lin and i wouldn't be surprised to see a big drop off in his production




The bigger difference will be once Carmelo is ball-hogging it again.



I don't see a lot of holes in his offensive game. But I wonder if he can continue to hit shots at this rate.
S
Schmoe
kfilly20 wrote:
kfilly20 wrote:
Anyone who says there is no defense in the NBA doesn't know anything about basketball. You should go to an NBA game and sit close to the floor, their defense is so good, obviously there are a few teams and or players who cant or wont defend, but the good teams defend the hell out of the ball. Jimmer is not defending even close to adequate right now, these are NBA players, if you let them get down the lane they are going to score everytime. That is whats happening with Jimmer.


You keep saying that as if Jimmer is getting taken to school every time down the court but it just isn't true. Tyreke and Thornton (and IT) have been burned on D far more times than Jimmer has. Why do you think every single time Jimmer subs in the Kings are already down 15 points in the 1st or early 2nd quarter? Is the team's pathetic defense Jimmer's fault because he's not cheering hard enough?



You are merely parroting what you have read and not commenting at all on the reality of the games. Do I wish Jimmer played more aggressive D like he did on that steal last game? Of course. I think he is a bit lazy on D, but when push comes to shove nobody has taken advantage of these perceived weaknesses you have bought into.


I am not parroting anything. I have watched almost every single Kings game this year, take your Jimmer goggles off man. I love Jimmer, I want him to succeed, I think he will be a semi successful player ala JJ Redick, there are very very few rookies who come into the league as functional defensive players. I'm not saying IT is playing better than Jimmer, but the team has been winning as Jimmer sits. Whether it be jealous teammates or whether Jimmer is really hurting the team defensively that much I dont know. I am sure he is trying his hardest on D, but these are the fastest most athletic people on the planet and sometimes trying just doesnt cut it. He needs to find his role, I dont think being the starting PG on the most selfish team in the league is it right now. Although I wouldnt mind seeing it just so I have something to watch. Im sorry if I have offended anyone in regards to the Jimmer but its just the way I see things.


I'm wondering if you watched the game tonight (vs. Phoenix), because Jimmer played stellar D tonight. I'm not sure what team you're watching, but it's pretty hard to hurt the Kings defensively. They give little effort, foul a lot, and just don't play D as a team. Jimmer is one of the few guys I've seen collapse to help out and be aware of a team concept on D.
M
Metal Bubba
The difference I see with Jimmer's D as compared to his teammates... he looks like he's really trying and not doing a good job, while they look like they just aren't trying. In other words, I'm not sure he has the ability to get a wole lot bettter with more effort, while the other guys could.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mormonrasta
Schmoe wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Anyone who says there is no defense in the NBA doesn't know anything about basketball. You should go to an NBA game and sit close to the floor, their defense is so good, obviously there are a few teams and or players who cant or wont defend, but the good teams defend the hell out of the ball. Jimmer is not defending even close to adequate right now, these are NBA players, if you let them get down the lane they are going to score everytime. That is whats happening with Jimmer.


You keep saying that as if Jimmer is getting taken to school every time down the court but it just isn't true. Tyreke and Thornton (and IT) have been burned on D far more times than Jimmer has. Why do you think every single time Jimmer subs in the Kings are already down 15 points in the 1st or early 2nd quarter? Is the team's pathetic defense Jimmer's fault because he's not cheering hard enough?



You are merely parroting what you have read and not commenting at all on the reality of the games. Do I wish Jimmer played more aggressive D like he did on that steal last game? Of course. I think he is a bit lazy on D, but when push comes to shove nobody has taken advantage of these perceived weaknesses you have bought into.


I am not parroting anything. I have watched almost every single Kings game this year, take your Jimmer goggles off man. I love Jimmer, I want him to succeed, I think he will be a semi successful player ala JJ Redick, there are very very few rookies who come into the league as functional defensive players. I'm not saying IT is playing better than Jimmer, but the team has been winning as Jimmer sits. Whether it be jealous teammates or whether Jimmer is really hurting the team defensively that much I dont know. I am sure he is trying his hardest on D, but these are the fastest most athletic people on the planet and sometimes trying just doesnt cut it. He needs to find his role, I dont think being the starting PG on the most selfish team in the league is it right now. Although I wouldnt mind seeing it just so I have something to watch. Im sorry if I have offended anyone in regards to the Jimmer but its just the way I see things.


I'm wondering if you watched the game tonight (vs. Phoenix), because Jimmer played stellar D tonight. I'm not sure what team you're watching, but it's pretty hard to hurt the Kings defensively. They give little effort, foul a lot, and just don't play D as a team. Jimmer is one of the few guys I've seen collapse to help out and be aware of a team concept on D.


Stellar D? Was this tic? The game against the Suns was the first Kings game I've watched this season and Jimmer didn't look very good on D at all. Slow fighting around screens, slow closing out the shot, and Jimmer was receiving alot more help than he was giving which wasn't much.



I was pulling hard for him to do better, but I just wasn't seeing it. He looked slow on both sides of the court. I hope this summer he can get up to speed with the NBA game.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
No, it wasn't TIC. I saw Jimmer's man repeatedly try to lose him and try all kinds of stuff and Jimmer stuck to him. I didn't pay as much attention late when the game was out of reach, maybe he wasn't trying as hard then.



I think we're seeing two camps, and both have already made up their minds. There's the "I think Jimmer is underrated in his D so I'm going to find every good thing he does" group (I've obviously been camping out here) and the "Jimmer plays horrible D, and to prove it, I'm going to focus on every bad thing he does" group. I think that the truth is actually in the middle, and I personally think that Jimmer, being just a rookie, can get better and will because of the effort that he puts in every night.
C
Cougarbib
Although Jimmer has not proven himself to be a franchise player in his much shortened rookie season, he is far from a bust, has contributed meaningful minutes at times, and this season is not over and his career is far from over.



ROOKIE. Give it time.



When does Jimmer graduate? Wait! He did. I wonder how long it will take fans to let go of Jimmer and celebrate the young team that is struggling to replace Jackson, Jimmer, and Dave Rice. They are fun to watch, too.



Maybe NBA Jimmer is a metaphor for our talented young guards.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
kfilly20
Following someone around on screens is not stellar D, not allowing someone to get to their spots and forcing them out of their comfort zones is stellar D. He is not doing that, his on the ball D is severely lacking. I think he will be a more than functional player and I think he is playing better lately. He is a rookie on a terrible selfish immature team. He is going to struggle and he is, but I am confident he will work it out and be fine. But to say he plays stellar D is preposterous.
S
scott715
Why don't they play zone? Jimmer is use to that.
K
kfilly20
scott715 wrote:
Why don't they play zone? Jimmer is use to that.


They play more zone when Jimmer is in the game. The last game I saw they primarily played zone with him. He stood in the corner by his man who didnt move at all.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
kfilly20 wrote:
Why don't they play zone? Jimmer is use to that.


They play more zone when Jimmer is in the game. The last game I saw they primarily played zone with him. He stood in the corner by his man who didnt move at all.


:roll:
G
Gunk
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Although Jimmer has not proven himself to be a franchise player in his much shortened rookie season, he is far from a bust, has contributed meaningful minutes at times, and this season is not over and his career is far from over.



ROOKIE. Give it time.



When does Jimmer graduate? Wait! He did. I wonder how long it will take fans to let go of Jimmer and celebrate the young team that is struggling to replace Jackson, Jimmer, and Dave Rice. They are fun to watch, too.



Maybe NBA Jimmer is a metaphor for our talented young guards.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I do think it's a bit sad/odd that the longest running thread on the basketball forum deals with someone that's no longer on the team. I don't want to take anything away from Jimmer. But he's gone.



Meanwhile, we're putting together a competitive team this year with some exciting young players, but we're still spending significant time debating whether Jimmer can play D even though we all know tight D by Jimmer is about as rare as a Jimmer dunk.
A
AJP
Jimmer didn't play in the Kings' loss to the Bulls tonight, but it was due to him being sick.



That video's pretty funny, Jimmer came up with some... different hints (than what I would've used at least) on some of the words.
J
jojoelchango
you blank them
Advertisement
M
Mars
jojoelchango wrote:
you blank them

That was the funniest one.

Somehow, I came up with the word "plow". :D
Page 4 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.