Archived Topic

Jimmer suffering with the Kings

by KYCoug · 2/6/2012

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Schmoe wrote:
Jimmer was the Kings' second leading scorer today in only 17 minutes of play. Stat line was downright impressive: 13 points on 5-8 (3-5 from 3 pt), 3 rebounds, 3 assists (2nd highest on the team), and 2 steals. Again, in the least minutes of anyone on the team, he had the most complete stat line. Smart is a joke.

Like I said in a different thread, Smart ain't
S
Schmoe
BoiseBYU wrote:
Jimmer was the Kings' second leading scorer today in only 17 minutes of play. Stat line was downright impressive: 13 points on 5-8 (3-5 from 3 pt), 3 rebounds, 3 assists (2nd highest on the team), and 2 steals. Again, in the least minutes of anyone on the team, he had the most complete stat line. Smart is a joke.

Like I said in a different thread, Smart ain't

Yep, sadly ironically named.
K
kfilly20
mizzoucoug wrote:
Look at the stretch where Jimmer was getting major minutes, the Kings were getting desrtroyed. Now that he is sitting on the bench they have won 3 in a row and lost the one before that by only 3. His defense is beyond terrible, anyone who says different is got some blue goggles on. His offense was coming along but he was getting DESTROYED on defense, especially the pick and roll.


That's just not true. You are clearly not watching the games. Jimmer plays better D than IT does--true he does struggle on the pick and roll, but he is outplaying IT in every other way too. The difference? The team is not jealous of IT.


I watch almost every single game and I am not wrong at all, his D is awful. I never said IT was outplaying him, although the team is winning now, so whether it be team jealousy or whatever the coach has to do what is best for the team.
Y
Yndian
Schmoe wrote:
Jimmer was the Kings' second leading scorer today in only 17 minutes of play. Stat line was downright impressive: 13 points on 5-8 (3-5 from 3 pt), 3 rebounds, 3 assists (2nd highest on the team), and 2 steals. Again, in the least minutes of anyone on the team, he had the most complete stat line. Smart is a joke.


All 13 points were in the fourth quarter, by the way.
G
Gunk
kfilly20 wrote:
kfilly20 wrote:
Look at the stretch where Jimmer was getting major minutes, the Kings were getting desrtroyed. Now that he is sitting on the bench they have won 3 in a row and lost the one before that by only 3. His defense is beyond terrible, anyone who says different is got some blue goggles on. His offense was coming along but he was getting DESTROYED on defense, especially the pick and roll.


That's just not true. You are clearly not watching the games. Jimmer plays better D than IT does--true he does struggle on the pick and roll, but he is outplaying IT in every other way too. The difference? The team is not jealous of IT.


I watch almost every single game and I am not wrong at all, his D is awful. I never said IT was outplaying him, although the team is winning now, so whether it be team jealousy or whatever the coach has to do what is best for the team.


Jimmer needs to spend the off season seriously working on his D. He doesn't have a counter part who's job is to make up his lack of it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Yndian wrote:
Jimmer was the Kings' second leading scorer today in only 17 minutes of play. Stat line was downright impressive: 13 points on 5-8 (3-5 from 3 pt), 3 rebounds, 3 assists (2nd highest on the team), and 2 steals. Again, in the least minutes of anyone on the team, he had the most complete stat line. Smart is a joke.


All 13 points were in the fourth quarter, by the way.

If I caught the score correctly when it flashed by - Suckramento lost.



The article linked above seems pretty objective. Part of the problem is situational - sudden coaching change - one on one style of play by the team - no pre-season prep, etc.



Part is Jimmer. He is coachable, however and will learn to fill the role they want him to fill. They want him to be more selfish and shoot off the pick and roll immediately. They want him to quit trying to prove he can drive. In the offseason, they want him to develop two new shots. Jimmer will learn what they want him to do and learn how to do it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
JamieVallen
Jimmer doesn't play D? wow I'm shocked... oh wait who in the NBA really does? The NBA is notorious for most if it's players not even attempting to play D at all... That's why it's probably the lamest sport out there... I think I'd almost rather watch golf and I like watching golf about as much as I like rooting for the utes. NBA= No defense, if you think I'm wrong you're kidding yourselves. and you should probably go drown yourself in your own bathtub. :) "creepy smile"
K
KYCoug
From the SI recap of last nights game..."The Kings trailed 69-60 to start the fourth, and Smart left his starting backcourt of Thornton and Evans on the bench and put his trust in Fredette. It's been a difficult rookie season for the heralded 10th overall pick out of BYU. He was benched for two straight games last week and played just 10 minutes in the win over New Orleans on Monday. But after clanking his first two attempts of the game Tuesday night, Fredette found his range. He buried three 3-pointers, scored off a steal and fed Greene for a dunk that got Sacramento back in it. "I was just playing," Fredette said. "I knew I was shooting the ball well. We were coming back into the game, more importantly."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2012/02/07/31504_recap.html#ixzz1lnTwbiSZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



They had a chance to win with a 3 point shot at the end but instead of giving it to the hot handed Fredette they had Greene shoot a clanker off the rim at the buzzer!
S
Schmoe
Jimmer's a white rookie, so if they give it to him for the game-winner, he'll just get hacked with a no-call to follow. I hate the way the NBA runs.
S
scott715
That happened against Utah. Watson got his hand and it was an airball.
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
I'm not a big fan of "there's no defense in the NBA." Really? Shane Battier doesn't play defense? Or Ron Artest? Dwight Howard? As much as I like to call LBJ a choke artist, how can anybody watch what he did to Derrick Rose in the Eastern finals and say there's no defense in the NBA?



I agree with "many players don't put in the same effort on defense as they do on offense," but that's a critique that's usually reserved for all-stars who are already freakish athletes anyway. Their half-hearted defense is still adequate. As a spectator, I don't like the lack of effort, but that doesn't change the fact that you need some modicum of defense to play in the NBA.



I haven't seen enough of Jimmer to have an opinion one way or the other, but based on his box scores and final team scores it's hard to get mad at the Kings for playing him less. .360 is BAD shooting. It's encouraging to see he's pulled out of that slump, though. I kind of wonder if the Kings were expecting too much from Jimmer. I thought he'd have a JJ Barea like role in the NBA - not a lot of minutes, but the type of guy who can come in, spark your offense and drop 10-11 points at the drop of a hat. In other words, the Jimmer we saw last night.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Let's not discount the impact of a coaching change and different brand of play that was required - takes some adjustment time to get used to the personality. He also was a casualty of the lock-out and the steep learning curve. I see continued improvement in his game with time - just think that he is on a selfish, ego-laden team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Maybe, maybe we actually have it all wrong.



Maybe, just maybe Smart saw the pressure Jimmer was under and his sub-par performance; so, tried to alleviate the pressure a bit by sitting Jimmer for a bit and then easing him back into the game to get Jimmer's confidence up and the teams' confidence up in Jimmer.



Maybe we have it all backwards.
K
kfilly20
Anyone who says there is no defense in the NBA doesn't know anything about basketball. You should go to an NBA game and sit close to the floor, their defense is so good, obviously there are a few teams and or players who cant or wont defend, but the good teams defend the hell out of the ball. Jimmer is not defending even close to adequate right now, these are NBA players, if you let them get down the lane they are going to score everytime. That is whats happening with Jimmer.
C
CougarClaw
It's possible Smart also wanted to get Jimmer mad about not being played for the first time in like a decade.



Get Jimmer angry. Jimmer shoots lights out. In the last few games in very limited play I think he's shooting 60% from 3s.
Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
Nba is lame if you would like I could post many examples of players that just watch as another goes by. It's what I see every time I watch this lame "so called" sports... Not to mention Everyone travels. I've watched Kobe take off from almost the 3 point line and drive with about 5 steps and nothing called. And it happens ll the time! If I was a fan of any NbA te

Team it is the Caviliers I've watch Lebron stand around time and time again while others make plays offensively it seems like the only thing that motivates these pansies is somebody else talking about another one of their mothers... It's a lame sport, if it were anywhere close to being called fairly by the officials and players play harder like most do in college. It would actually be exciting to watch. Things need to change. And these guys are too overpaid and have to much a personal ego to ever make this crap worth watching. I just they would play the game and try to win and not just worry about themselves. Things have changed in the 20-30 years NBA basketball is just pathetic!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Interesting comparison in Fox News Timberwolves evaluation between the success of F Williams (NC) and Jimmer (BYU). The writer believes that the Jimmer hype in college may have created great expectations which were not fair - but real nonetheless.


For Fredette, the NBA has been a harsh reality, a far cry from the screaming fans at BYU's Marriott Center and the "Jimmer-mania" that defined college basketball just a year ago. But on Tuesday night in Minneapolis, things looked a little different for the rookie point guard. Not only was he the catalyst behind the Kings' comeback — albeit a failed one — but he also took the court against Derrick Williams, the second overall pick last summer, a player with a bright NBA future.



And here's the thing: For all those supposedly damning flaws, Fredette outplayed Williams.



In fact, Fredette has averaged 22.1 minutes and 8.7 points per game this season to Williams' 18.3 and 7.6. Yet no one is accusing Williams of ineptitude, of a lack of athleticism.
S
Schmoe
Sure, there are a handful of players who play exceptionally strong defense in the NBA. But the quickness of players and the NBA rules make it so one-on-one D is difficult. It's not that there's no D in the NBA, it's that it's mostly a team concept with help coming from somewhere.
S
SpiffCoug
Jimmer is now 37th in 3P%, 35th in total 3Pt makes and 38th in 3P makes per game.
D
Dcr36
I think Derrick Williams went to Arizona, right?



NBA officiating is pretty meh with a lot of deference to superstars, for sure. Still, I don't get why so many sports fans are turned off by the NBA. It's still good basketball. I thought that, before the lockout, the NBA was at its best since the mid-90s. Better than the Iverson years, at least.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 2 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.