Archived Topic

Offense

by BroncoBot · 11/5/2019

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Who is running it?

Its palpably different the last 2 weeks.
S
SpiffCoug
Grimes also moved down to the field.That's a change seems to have worked as well.
F
frdbtr
Grimes is running the offense. Always was and always will be. I think they have just gotten more aggressive with the plays and less cute, especially in the red zone. I don't believe myths that when the offense is succeeding that someone else has secretly taken over play calling. Kalani has been working with the defense but Tuiaki is still calling the plays, not Kalani.
G
Guest
Criddle claims that it's a collaborative effort, if it's a run play it's a Grimes call, pass plays are called by Rodderick. Who determines if it's a run or pass play is a little unclear.
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:

Criddle claims that it's a collaborative effort, if it's a run play it's a Grimes call, pass plays are called by Rodderick. Who determines if it's a run or pass play is a little unclear.


Grimes said on coordinators corner that it has been a "collaborative effort" since he arrived. I think the coaches made a conscious effort to be more aggressive and moved Grimes onto the field to keep the guys motivated but nothing other than that has changed. We had these same conspiracy theories back in 10 about who was calling plays because everyone thought when the offense looked good Doman was calling the plays instead of Anae and we all learned that was total BS after Anae left.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
What do you think Grimes is going to say? I got demoted? Take it for what it's worth, but someone on a BYU FB group with supposedly first hand knowledge says it's Arod calling the offense and Sitake calling the defense since Boise St.
S
snoscythe
byufan4ever wrote:

What do you think Grimes is going to say? I got demoted? Take it for what it's worth, but someone on a BYU FB group with supposedly first hand knowledge says it's Arod calling the offense and Sitake calling the defense since Boise St.


Grimes getting dressed down by Kalani in the locker room in front of the team was the initial step in this "collaborative" effort.
A
a1247
snoscythe wrote:


What do you think Grimes is going to say? I got demoted? Take it for what it's worth, but someone on a BYU FB group with supposedly first hand knowledge says it's Arod calling the offense and Sitake calling the defense since Boise St.


Grimes getting dressed down by Kalani in the locker room in front of the team was the initial step in this "collaborative" effort.

If this is really what is happening then I'm sure at the end of the season Grimes will either find another job or not have his contact extended for next season. Arod and probably Fesi Sitaki will be handed the offense to run. And if this is Arod's offensive play calling we are seeing then I'm ok with that.
F
frdbtr
Yep, and in 2010, It was Doman calling the plays when the offense was playing well, and was the one who wanted Heaps to start, Anae wanted Nelson. At least that is what the "in the know" sources said back then. :whistle:
B
byufan4ever
frdbtr wrote:

Yep, and in 2010, It was Doman calling the plays when the offense was playing well, and was the one who wanted Heaps to start, Anae wanted Nelson. At least that is what the "in the know" sources said back then. :whistle:


I don't think I've seen you mention that yet...What happened back in 2010 again?
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
ARod is calling plays



"Aaron Roderick’s debut calling plays from the booth bore some remarkable fruits.



Sure, offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes was on the sideline — and had a hand in some play-calling duties — but the Cougars busted open the playbook unlike any previous game, especially in the second half.



The passing game coordinator seemed to have all the tricks, including a flea flicker to Matt Bushman for his second touchdown of the game and an outside pitch from Romney to Sione Finau for a 47-yard scamper that was the longest run play of the season for BYU.



Yes, Grimes remains the offensive coordinator, at least full-time and in name. Sitake said the coaches called the game in a “collaborative” effort."



https://www.ksl.com/article/46658767/with-3rd-string-qb-and-depleted-roster-byu-opens-up-playbook-to-beat-no-14-boise-state
F
frdbtr
byufan4ever wrote:


Yep, and in 2010, It was Doman calling the plays when the offense was playing well, and was the one who wanted Heaps to start, Anae wanted Nelson. At least that is what the "in the know" sources said back then. :whistle:


I don't think I've seen you mention that yet...What happened back in 2010 again?


Back in 2010 when everyone wanted Anae fired because the young and inexperienced offense wasn't scoring 40 points per game (it was averaging more than this years offense is), there were a couple of games against poor competition where the offense blew up and scored a ton. After those games, everyone was insisting that Brandon Doman (the QB coach) was now in charge of the offense and was calling the plays. Of course we know that in 2011 and 2012, the offense struggled under Doman as the Ocoordinator and he was fired. Its all just conspiracy and I am not buying it this time.
F
frdbtr
So sean walker decided to print the conspiracy theory then? Was he in the coaches meetings? Do all QB coaches who sit up in the booth call all of the offensive plays? A lot of Ocoordinators stand on the sidelines. I am still not buying it. The media was printing this kind of crap in 2010 as well. Grimes may have gotten yelled at, and the offense is definitely more aggressive, but unless Sitake or Grimes announces to the the media that Roderick is now the Occordinator and he is motivator in chief for the Oline, then I am not buying it. Roderick was fired from the utes because his offenses sucked up there and we are now saying he is the offensive genius down here? really?
B
byufan4ever
frdbtr wrote:


frdbtr wrote:

Yep, and in 2010, It was Doman calling the plays when the offense was playing well, and was the one who wanted Heaps to start, Anae wanted Nelson. At least that is what the "in the know" sources said back then. :whistle:


I don't think I've seen you mention that yet...What happened back in 2010 again?


Back in 2010 when everyone wanted Anae fired because the young and inexperienced offense wasn't scoring 40 points per game (it was averaging more than this years offense is), there were a couple of games against poor competition where the offense blew up and scored a ton. After those games, everyone was insisting that Brandon Doman (the QB coach) was now in charge of the offense and was calling the plays. Of course we know that in 2011 and 2012, the offense struggled under Doman as the Ocoordinator and he was fired. Its all just conspiracy and I am not buying it this time.


I was actually joking. This is what the 3rd or 4th time I've read your opinion on this matter? You think Grimes and Tuaki are still calling the shots. I don't. It's fine to disagree. But even if I read about 2010 500 more times it won't change my opinion.
F
frdbtr
Maybe I keep saying it because the conspiracy theory keeps getting posted. I can't believe that anyone is buying this nonsense again. Do you think for one second that someone as competitive as Jeff Grimes is going to get demoted mid season and take it? Come on, lets get real here. He may have been chewed out by his head coach, there may have been some serious things said in the coaches meetings but Jeff Grimes is still the Ocoordinator and is calling the plays. If the conspiracy is for real and I see Grimes move on to another team as an Oline coach after the season, I might believe.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Yes, yes, I do believe that ARod is calling the offense and Sitake the defense. Yes, I do.
E
EM_Puma
Honestly, I don't care if his dog Sparky is calling the game as long as they win. It would be interesting to understand the dynamics of how this all shakes down, but we'll eventually know.
G
Gunk
Grimes could be a great OC, great at drawing up plays, great at coaching skills, great at recruiting, and not so great at play calling.



Assume ARod is calling the plays. ARod isn't coming up with new plays on the fly. ARod isn't re-writing the play book mid season. He is working from the offense and plays orchestrated by Grimes. Grimes just may not be as good at picking the right play in the circumstances as ARod.
F
frdbtr
Gunk wrote:

Grimes could be a great OC, great at drawing up plays, great at coaching skills, great at recruiting, and not so great at play calling.



Assume ARod is calling the plays. ARod isn't coming up with new plays on the fly. ARod isn't re-writing the play book mid season. He is working from the offense and plays orchestrated by Grimes. Grimes just may not be as good at picking the right play in the circumstances as ARod.


Or maybe Arod is seeing the field from the box better than Grimes was and is able to advise him on what he is seeing and what to call better. The only reason this conspiracy theory is around again is because of the massive change in the way the offense looks. Why weren't people claiming that Kwhit was calling the plays after the massive turn around's that the defenses at utah used to under go after Kwhit spent time with the defenses up there when Sitake's defenses were starting slow up there? The defensive and offensive Coordinators have not secretly changed. The real answer to what has happened is BYU finally woke up and maybe Sitake finally figured out how to get his team ready to play week to week and the team is now attacking like they should have been all along.



By the way Gunk, this whole post is not directed at you. I just quoted you because your comment got me thinking.
G
Gunk
frdbtr wrote:


Grimes could be a great OC, great at drawing up plays, great at coaching skills, great at recruiting, and not so great at play calling.



Assume ARod is calling the plays. ARod isn't coming up with new plays on the fly. ARod isn't re-writing the play book mid season. He is working from the offense and plays orchestrated by Grimes. Grimes just may not be as good at picking the right play in the circumstances as ARod.


Or maybe Arod is seeing the field from the box better than Grimes was and is able to advise him on what he is seeing and what to call better. The only reason this conspiracy theory is around again is because of the massive change in the way the offense looks. Why weren't people claiming that Kwhit was calling the plays after the massive turn around's that the defenses at utah used to under go after Kwhit spent time with the defenses up there when Sitake's defenses were starting slow up there? The defensive and offensive Coordinators have not secretly changed. The real answer to what has happened is BYU finally woke up and maybe Sitake finally figured out how to get his team ready to play week to week and the team is now attacking like they should have been all along.



By the way Gunk, this whole post is not directed at you. I just quoted you because your comment got me thinking.

Well, glad I got you thinking.



I don't know what is going on. But things are noticeably different the last two games.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.