Archived Topic

USU Game

by BoiseBYU · 11/3/2019

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Did any of you expect this? Wow. I know there’s LOTS of time left but the offense has really moved the ball and the D has come up with turnovers. Just wow
B
BoiseBYU
Maybe my fellow fans are frozen? :)
A
a1247
It's still "early" (3RD quarter) but no I didn't see them putting up 35 points against USU.
A
a1247
3 man rush sucks I hate it!
V
vancouvercougar
That pick by Baylor hurt
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
Still up by 21
B
BoiseBYU
Nothing is ever easy is it?
V
vancouvercougar
I never ever thought we would be up by 28 in the 4th
F
frdbtr
What a game. I think BYU has found it's QB. I loved how Jaren Hall was playing but unfortunately, like his dad, he seems to be injury prone. Baylor Romney is an absolute stud. Congratulations on a 2 game winning streak. Please, please, don't let this go to your heads BYU and take care of Liberty next week.
B
BoiseBYU
Grimes has called a stellar game. The QBs have really performed. And the D too. Good good team effort
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
I love the pressure we are putting on Love late in the game
B
BoiseBYU
Very satisfying win.
F
frdbtr
I was hoping for a result like this but watching the inconsistency of this team has me highly skeptical on whether they can do this every week. I hope it continues and we get another win against Liberty next week.
V
vancouvercougar
It was fun to see Critchlow



Our D holds USU scoreless in the 2nd half
A
a1247
Who thought this was possible? I will be the first to say NOT ME!
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
a1247 wrote:

Who thought this was possible? I will be the first to say NOT ME!


And we used 3 quarterbacks in the game.



Both Hall and Romney played well.
M
mtnradio
I'll admit up front ... I AM SHOCKED. I did NOT think this game would be at all like that. I was at my brother's house ... his daughter and son-in-law were at the game (cheering for the wrong team). When the Cougs fumbled trying to get into the endzone, I turned to my brother and said, "that could be big and hurt us down the road" ... I did not give our defense any credit, and did not have confidence in the offense.



Last night the defense was not plain vanilla all night. They found some weaknesses and exploited them. I realize it wasn't a BIG change, but the fact that they figured out that Love has a blind spot for a LB playing under coverage ...and exploited it, is important. The defensive scheme was really good. They did give up the one 90+ yd drive, but otherwise D was solid.



Offense was surprising. It was a good mix of calls that targeted tendencies and weaknesses of USU. Hall played really good and I was impressed. Romney, playing with the injured foot, was very impressive (I have a daughter attending BYU, she's single, anyone know if Baylor is still single and care to introduce him to my little girl? LOL). Seriously, I was really impressed with the heart and leadership we got out of the QB's. And I was glad when they went to Critchlow to save Romney. I felt bad for Critchlow that he didn't even get a single pass (I thought on a 3rd down they would consider a pass to move the sticks ... ).



The single most impressive thing to me in the game? YAC. The receivers ran wild after getting the ball. A+ to the receivers. I was disappointed that Bushman's reception was wiped off by a time out nobody called, but at least he got in the passing game. Fonua and Katoa were beasts.



All in all ... if the Cougs can finish the season with consistency and playing like this ... it could be a great way to end the year!



Two wins have not secured a contract extension for KS, in my mind, but if he's figured out how to extend this type of intensity and playing through this season and next ... he will have done something I didn't think he could: changed and become a coach a class or two above what he's been. If he does that, I'll be very happy for him to get the extension he will have earned.
E
EM_Puma
Now it's on to battle Liberty. A team you just don't hear much about, but quietly they have a 6-3 record and have scored north of 58 points three (3) times this season.



Wow, I just saw something in checking their record that I never remember seeing in college football, except dealing with conference championships. The Liberty flames already played and beat New Mexico State on 28 Sep 2019 17 to 10. They have them scheduled again this season as their last game of the year on 30 Nov.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2335/liberty-flames



How unusual.
A
a1247
EM_Puma wrote:

Now it's on to battle Liberty. A team you just don't hear much about, but quietly they have a 6-3 record and have scored north of 58 points three (3) times this season.



Wow, I just saw something in checking their record that I never remember seeing in college football, except dealing with conference championships. The Liberty flames already played and beat New Mexico State on 28 Sep 2019 17 to 10. They have them scheduled again this season as their last game of the year on 30 Nov.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2335/liberty-flames



How unusual.


I've never seen that before either. It goes to show how hard it is to be an independent and make a schedule. When in dought reach out to another struggling independent and come up with an NFL type of deal where you play each other in a home and home in the same season agreement. Imo it's brilliant! Why not, could you imagine doing the same thing with one of the other independents, not named Notre Dame. I would especially love it if Air Force was to ever go independent.
E
EM_Puma
What was the deal that twice when a BYU player went down hurt (I remember Chaz Ah You for certain), the USU crowd booed? Never have seen that bad of sportsmanship in my life to boo a downed player. What a bunch of cow plops.



I never imagined that the USU crowd would grow to get as bad as the Puketah fans, but that was pretty low in my book. Individuals who allow a rivalry to dip to that level should never be allowed to participate. I love passion in your sports, but there is above the line and below the line conduct in that regard and to me, the USU fan base dropped a notch last night.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.