Archived Topic

USU Game

by BoiseBYU · 11/3/2019

Advertisement
G
Gunk
They booed the one time because their team was in hurry up mode. Had two good plays back to back and USU was lining up all ready to fire out another play and our player was hurt on the field.



I didn't think it was all that bad. Seen plenty of fan bases do the same, maybe even BYU.
N
nuk13
[quote=mtnradio post_id=256546 time=1572796530 user_id=5786]

I'll admit up front ... I AM SHOCKED. I did NOT think this game would be at all like that. I was at my brother's house ... his daughter and son-in-law were at the game (cheering for the wrong team). When the Cougs fumbled trying to get into the endzone, I turned to my brother and said, "that could be big and hurt us down the road" ... I did not give our defense any credit, and did not have confidence in the offense.



If it's who I think it is she sprinted for USU. She barely missed the state record in Idaho at 200 meters. BYU never offered her.



As far as the game goes, I am also shocked. I figured it would be a close game whoever won but I thought it would be Utah State. Jordan Love is on the O'Brian list.
R
redneckjedi
Besides the win, I am super happy about one thing in particular: we finally know when and how to run a screen play! How many times did we just burn them with that? Katoa did a perfect job running after the catch, too. I hope it continues!
E
EM_Puma
redneckjedi wrote:

Besides the win, I am super happy about one thing in particular: we finally know when and how to run a screen play! How many times did we just burn them with that? Katoa did a perfect job running after the catch, too. I hope it continues!


The ESPN crew seemed surprised that with all the film USU saw of our screens that they were being so successful. It was sweet.
A
ABYUFAN
I didn't see this coming. No one would be happier to be wrong than I would be about Sitake being a good guy but bad coach. I'm excited to see what the future brings, but for now I see shades of Toledo 2016 in the Liberty game next week.
Advertisement
G
Guest
A few hours before the game, it came to me. USU would be embarrassed from last week and would come out playing very hard and make the game tight through halftime. BYU would then go on to have a big 3rd quarter and Utah State would fold like a cheap milking stool and BYU would cruise to a win. I like to think that I was pretty dead on.
E
EM_Puma
I'm trying to gauge personally where I'm at in belief of the team. Those two losses in a row to Toledo and USF just make it hard to believe that this team will win it out. If the team that has shown up the last two Saturdays shows up for the last four--it's a cake walk and we end up 8-4. I just don't yet trust that we won't have a drop off somewhere. I doubt we lose more than 1 of the last 4, so I will say that I see us at least ending up 7-5, but I don't know for sure how that reflects back on a KS extension. He leads us to win the last 4 games and then I'm secure for now.



I'd really like to know what has changed. That seems to be a big secret that no one will reveal if both Grimes and Tuiaki both have free reigns as OC & DC to make the calls. It seems like the hovering scuttlebutt is that the offense is being run by a consensus (and you do have a lot of OC experience there on the offensive staff) and the defense is being called by KS, but no verification on either. Well, whatever, it seems to be working.
F
frdbtr
Guys, Sitake is not calling the defense. Tuiaki is. The difference that we are seeing is he is working with the defense during the week to gameplan. Tuiaki is still calling the plays.
V
vancouvercougar
I was frustrated with the ESPN announcers they mentioned a few times how much better the USU defense would be if the Aggie LB Woodward was playing. You’d have thought that we wouldn’t be able to move the ball at all on defense if he were there. And it’s not like we weren’t missing our own linebackers
F
frdbtr
Announcers have to figure out ways to keep an audience interested if things start getting out of hand and BYU's offense was moving all over the place with little resistance.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
frdbtr wrote:

Announcers have to figure out ways to keep an audience interested if things start getting out of hand and BYU's offense was moving all over the place with little resistance.


Oh yeah, they can spend almost the whole 4th quarter debating whether Oregon should be in the national championship series if they win the PAC-12. I have and always will dislike it when announcers loose their focus and start using the game for their own commentary on the sport they are covering. Comments here and there are okay, but we had this full blown debate going on with almost no comment on the game itself in the last half of the 4th quarter. They guys on the field were just playing (actually Critchlow was merely handing off again and again). Come on guys, that's not why you were sent to do the game. Most people that were still awake watching the game hadn't lost interest in it and it they wanted something else, they could have turned the channel. Rod Gilmore is a PAC12 homer, and he showed it. His undergrad is at Stanford and he has law degree from Cal Berkley.
Page 2 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.