Archived Topic

Is there anyone still on the fence?

by frdbtr · 10/13/2019

Advertisement
A
a1247
KingCoug wrote:

14 is a bit TIC ... Bronco was clear, winning wasn't first. Sorry, i don't remember if it was 3rd or 5th ... and he put a quality product on the field.



KS hasn't said what the priorities are ... but the product quality dropped.



Yes, there are others who could perform at the Bronco level, or higher, without changing HC, Holmoe, etc. The question really is, can we afford them? Do they want to come?


Coaches will come if the money is right. And BYU can obviously afford them but seems intent on playing a P5 schedule with a G5 budget and coaching talent.



1. The Head Coach has to be LDS and that won't change. So go with Anderson. He's our best bet.



2. Open up the checkbook big time. Not only so you can pay Anderson a P5 salary, but also so you have the salaries to attract some of the best coordinators (who don't have to be LDS) in the country. All things considered, our staff should be making at least as much as Utah's, if not more. It really is an arm's race in a lot of ways.



3. Schedule appropriately. The way Holmoe has been doing it is both excessive and unbalanced. It seems he feels he has to schedule 5, 6, 7 P5 teams in order to maintain interest. Well, losing like BYU has is what kills interest faster than anything.



The only P5 teams an Indy BYU needs to play is Utah and Notre Dame. But spread them out. None of this front-loaded crap. Holmoe needs to do what it takes to put Notre Dame permanently on the schedule. 5 for 1? Fine, whatever.



Fill the rest of the schedule with Utah State, Hawaii, Boise State, the Academies, and other independents. Also non-P5 Cal and Texas teams for recruiting.


BYU does need the P5 teams on the schedule, P5's sell tickets G5 for the most part don't. And it helps recruiting to be able to tell a kid they will be playing P5 talent. But schedule teams who historically are not top 25 teams. Wake Forest, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Oregon State. Teams that are realistically more on par with BYU.



BYU has to front load the schedule because most conferences won't let them play them later in the year once conference play begins. The price of being independent.



BYU is cheap, always has been and always will be that isn't going to change. I hate it and I hope all of us hate it!



Why are you worried about "watering down" the honor code? Does it affect you at all? Is the honor code that important to you personally and why? I don't think removing the dress code and grooming standards is going to turn BYU into the ghetto and I'm 100 billion % sure changing the honor code isn't going to create a red light district on campus.

Again the major parts pertaining to the word of wisdom wouldn't go away. Although how it's written wouldn't hurt. It would have helped when the Big12 was looking to expand. Or do we want to pretend that's not the reason BYU didn't get an invite?



And again lower the academics for athletes to where they were before 2004. Think back, how many player from Lavell's teams might not have played at BYU if they had to qualify under today's standards. Also think of how good Broncos teams could have been if they could have had a few more of those types of players.



I'm not sure Anderson is the only choice. I really like what Jay Hill has done at Weber State. But why would either of them want to come here right now with the schedule over the next 3 years. The chance of being successful are slim to none.



Of course if they stopped acting so high and mighty and aloud themselves to be normal they could go out and get a non LDS head coach. Then the choice is almost endless.
C
cougarapologist
Might be time to readdress a new conference, old-WAC redux? Boise St., Air Force, Utah State would all jump at the chance to form something new with BYU. Could probably convince Colo St., Fresno, SDSU as well. Add Vegas for population. Ask Rice, Houston, UTEP to get into Texas?
H
hypercoug
I think everything is just fine. Ultimately it's The Trustees making all the decisions, and I know they are doing what makes the most sense in the big picture. I know better than to question.



I think we should change our mascot to the lambs, and be an example to other teams. Hand them the ball and let them score. Stand there and take sacks, then the next play, turn the other cheek and get sacked again.



Ultimately there are far greater powers at work than BYU football, and it's not our place to be making judgments. The Trustees will make all changes necessary. It's wonderful, all this losing. Just think of the other side of things, how happy the USF players and families must have been with the win. Let's keep everything in perspective, guys!
K
KingCoug
a1247 wrote:



BYU does need the P5 teams on the schedule, P5's sell tickets G5 for the most part don't. And it helps recruiting to be able to tell a kid they will be playing P5 talent. But schedule teams who historically are not top 25 teams. Wake Forest, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Oregon State. Teams that are realistically more on par with BYU.



BYU has to front load the schedule because most conferences won't let them play them later in the year once conference play begins. The price of being independent.



BYU is cheap, always has been and always will be that isn't going to change. I hate it and I hope all of us hate it!



Why are you worried about "watering down" the honor code? Does it affect you at all? Is the honor code that important to you personally and why? I don't think removing the dress code and grooming standards is going to turn BYU into the ghetto and I'm 100 billion % sure changing the honor code isn't going to create a red light district on campus.

Again the major parts pertaining to the word of wisdom wouldn't go away. Although how it's written wouldn't hurt. It would have helped when the Big12 was looking to expand. Or do we want to pretend that's not the reason BYU didn't get an invite?



And again lower the academics for athletes to where they were before 2004. Think back, how many player from Lavell's teams might not have played at BYU if they had to qualify under today's standards. Also think of how good Broncos teams could have been if they could have had a few more of those types of players.



I'm not sure Anderson is the only choice. I really like what Jay Hill has done at Weber State. But why would either of them want to come here right now with the schedule over the next 3 years. The chance of being successful are slim to none.



Of course if they stopped acting so high and mighty and aloud themselves to be normal they could go out and get a non LDS head coach. Then the choice is almost endless.


Go root for Utah.
A
a1247
KingCoug wrote:




BYU does need the P5 teams on the schedule, P5's sell tickets G5 for the most part don't. And it helps recruiting to be able to tell a kid they will be playing P5 talent. But schedule teams who historically are not top 25 teams. Wake Forest, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Oregon State. Teams that are realistically more on par with BYU.



BYU has to front load the schedule because most conferences won't let them play them later in the year once conference play begins. The price of being independent.



BYU is cheap, always has been and always will be that isn't going to change. I hate it and I hope all of us hate it!



Why are you worried about "watering down" the honor code? Does it affect you at all? Is the honor code that important to you personally and why? I don't think removing the dress code and grooming standards is going to turn BYU into the ghetto and I'm 100 billion % sure changing the honor code isn't going to create a red light district on campus.

Again the major parts pertaining to the word of wisdom wouldn't go away. Although how it's written wouldn't hurt. It would have helped when the Big12 was looking to expand. Or do we want to pretend that's not the reason BYU didn't get an invite?



And again lower the academics for athletes to where they were before 2004. Think back, how many player from Lavell's teams might not have played at BYU if they had to qualify under today's standards. Also think of how good Broncos teams could have been if they could have had a few more of those types of players.



I'm not sure Anderson is the only choice. I really like what Jay Hill has done at Weber State. But why would either of them want to come here right now with the schedule over the next 3 years. The chance of being successful are slim to none.



Of course if they stopped acting so high and mighty and aloud themselves to be normal they could go out and get a non LDS head coach. Then the choice is almost endless.


Go root for Utah.

Are you serious this is your response, how old are you!
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
a1247 wrote:

Are you serious this is your response, how old are you!


Well, it was that or "Go die in a fire."



And I'm almost 42.
A
a1247
KingCoug wrote:


Are you serious this is your response, how old are you!


Well, it was that or "Go die in a fire."



And I'm almost 42.


Hahaha great Christian right there! You are a seriously confused person. Preach one thing but do the complete opposite.
K
KingCoug
a1247 wrote:


a1247 wrote:

Are you serious this is your response, how old are you!


Well, it was that or "Go die in a fire."



And I'm almost 42.


Hahaha great Christian right there! You are a seriously confused person. Preach one thing but do the complete opposite.


Once again, no sense of humor.
C
CougarCrazy
a1247 wrote:


a1247 wrote:

Are you serious this is your response, how old are you!


Well, it was that or "Go die in a fire."



And I'm almost 42.


Hahaha great Christian right there! You are a seriously confused person. Preach one thing but do the complete opposite.


Sigh. I remember when Utah and Aggie fans talked about everyone involved with BYU football this way. I miss the good old days where moral victories are victories in virtue were what they had to focus on.



I hope the next BYU coach has to deal with complaints like this all the time.



Anyway, just a side point to reminisce about what the good ol days were like lol.
E
El Guapo
All this talk from y'all about BYU either being able or not being able to afford to put up or shut up or putting their money where their mouth is needs to be put into its proper perspective which is that the LDS church is, for all intents and purposes, a massively wealthy real estate corporation with $32 BILLION in the US stock market. When you consider that the average corporation invests 10% of their net worth, the church could be worth in excess of $320 BILLION! But it won't pay market salaries for football coaches for its main university and for a passionate fan base which gives 10% of its income to it??? :sick:



https://kutv.com/news/local/mormonleaks-says-new-documents-link-lds-church-to-companies-worth-over-32-billion
Advertisement
A
a1247
KingCoug wrote:


KingCoug wrote:


Are you serious this is your response, how old are you!


Well, it was that or "Go die in a fire."



And I'm almost 42.


Hahaha great Christian right there! You are a seriously confused person. Preach one thing but do the complete opposite.


Once again, no sense of humor.

Ok if this was all in good fun I love it! I would have leaned towards something like go jump in front of a moving train while your family rooted you on, but go die in a fire has a nice ring to it.

I think outside of the honor code we have close to the same wants for change. Scheduling is a joke the amount of money the school spends isn't enough. I'm not saying Anderson wouldn't be a good choice but I do think they need to look at Jay Hill. Ken N from Navy does nothing to move my needle. I hate hate HATE his offense and would have ZERO interest in watching it. Winning or not the triple option is not an option that holds my interest.
Page 2 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.