Archived Topic

Is there anyone still on the fence?

by frdbtr · 10/13/2019

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Guys, South Florida is a bad football team and we still couldn't hold on to a 13-0 lead to win the game. The offense is bad, the defense is bad, the special teams is bad. Time for change. I really had hoped that this would be sitake's break out year and he would have figured out how to be a good coach, but it is just more of the same. I'm sick of watching a BYU football team that doesn't know what it is doing on the football field. If that makes me a negative nelly BYU fan, then I apologize for that. Anyone who has been on this board for a while knows that I am a huge BYU fan, I am just frustrated with the current level of play.
G
Gunk
Team just sucks the optimism out of you.



I stopped watching midway through the 3rd. It was obvious BYU wasn't there to play.
S
SpiffCoug
I was never on the fence. I thought it was a bad hire from the get go. I was never on board and always skeptical. It was never going to work. A cheerleader does not make a good head coach. He had "success" at Utah because he was under a great coach who demanded the things Kalani has no idea how to attain - discipline and accountability.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:

I was never on the fence. I thought it was a bad hire from the get go. I was never on board and always skeptical. It was never going to work. A cheerleader does not make a good head coach. He had "success" at Utah because he was under a great coach who demanded the things Kalani has no idea how to attain - discipline and accountability.


I'm with you Spiff, but I am being called out for being too negative so I was just wondering if I was the only one. I wish it were otherwise.
S
SpiffCoug
I don't see how anyone could be "too negative" with regards to the current state of the football program under the current head coach and staff.



He is outmatched. He is not capable of coaching consistently enough at the requisite level. He should not be retained.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
This is what I said two Novembers ago (Nov '17). And it's still relevant today:


Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.



Not one coach, trainer or administrator should return to have anything to do with the football team next year. You can not allow the worst team in 68 years.


The only thing no longer applicable is we don't have to go back 68 years to find the most recent worst team. We only have to go back two.



And who knows? Maybe this year we'll be able to say you can't have the worst team at BYU in 70 years and remain coaching at the school.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:

This is what I said two Novembers ago (Nov '17). And it's still relevant today:


Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.



Not one coach, trainer or administrator should return to have anything to do with the football team next year. You can not allow the worst team in 68 years.


The only thing no longer applicable is we don't have to go back 68 years to find the most recent worst team. We only have to go back two.



And who knows? Maybe this year we'll be able to say you can't have the worst team at BYU in 70 years and remain coaching at the school.


That is my feelings as well. I got my first major Sitake disappointment game one of 17 and it has gone downhill since then. I have not seen a well coached team since then. Lots of people got blamed, Tanner Mangum, Ty detmer and a few others, but it starts at the top. Sitake is the CEO and his company is going bankrupt. I wish it were otherwise. I actually feel bad for him because he is a nice guy and BYU is his dream job.
B
BoiseBYU
frdbtr wrote:


I was never on the fence. I thought it was a bad hire from the get go. I was never on board and always skeptical. It was never going to work. A cheerleader does not make a good head coach. He had "success" at Utah because he was under a great coach who demanded the things Kalani has no idea how to attain - discipline and accountability.


I'm with you Spiff, but I am being called out for being too negative so I was just wondering if I was the only one. I wish it were otherwise.


I do not doubt that you are a BYU fan. And wanting Sitaki gone is not too negative in my book. It’s expressing your opinion and it is a valid one as far as I am concerned. What I don’t like, and perhaps it’s just me, is posting thread after thread trying to make the same point. It looks more like you doing therapy than anything else. I know the solution is for me just not to come on the site and read ad nauseam your’s and other’s post after post about this. It is too life sucking. I think the real problem is that we have false expectations. We think we can go back to some glory days of old when the reality is being independent, recruiting with our honor code, having academic expectations, etc etc make it very very hard to compete for the best athletes and coaches. Maybe we have taken the amazing things Lavell did for granted. I am not sure what can be done Sitaki does not appear to be able to get it done. Firing him though does not mean things will get better. BYU FB is in the dumps and it frustrates me like you.
S
Sharper
Kalani is a great guy. There's no evidence he's a great coach.



BYU isn't going to be perfect against these tough front-loaded schedules, but the team has the talent to be much better, if they played up to their potential with any consistency.
F
frdbtr
BoiseBYU wrote:


SpiffCoug wrote:

I was never on the fence. I thought it was a bad hire from the get go. I was never on board and always skeptical. It was never going to work. A cheerleader does not make a good head coach. He had "success" at Utah because he was under a great coach who demanded the things Kalani has no idea how to attain - discipline and accountability.


I'm with you Spiff, but I am being called out for being too negative so I was just wondering if I was the only one. I wish it were otherwise.


I do not doubt that you are a BYU fan. And wanting Sitaki gone is not too negative in my book. It’s expressing your opinion and it is a valid one as far as I am concerned. What I don’t like, and perhaps it’s just me, is posting thread after thread trying to make the same point. It looks more like you doing therapy than anything else. I know the solution is for me just not to come on the site and read ad nauseam your’s and other’s post after post about this. It is too life sucking. I think the real problem is that we have false expectations. We think we can go back to some glory days of old when the reality is being independent, recruiting with our honor code, having academic expectations, etc etc make it very very hard to compete for the best athletes and coaches. Maybe we have taken the amazing things Lavell did for granted. I am not sure what can be done Sitaki does not appear to be able to get it done. Firing him though does not mean things will get better. BYU FB is in the dumps and it frustrates me like you.


I'm drum beating a point that is being contradicted by the media. Even today after USF running the ball right down our defenses throat, I am reading where the defense has been a strength until this year. The only year the BYU defense was a strength was in 16 and maybe for part of the season last year (even last year, the defense gave up game losing drives that went all the way down the field, remember Northern Illinois?) I hate being as negative as I have been but unfortunately there isn't much to cheer about these days. Having said that, I am still happy when we get wins, I gave the team credit in the Tenn and USC wins and I had hoped that they had turned a corner but then the last 3 games happened. Kind of sucks the enthusiasm right out of you. Also, I am bitter about the hypocrisy in some of the fan base. If Bronco had had this kind of performance, there would have been a cacophony of noise that would have been unbearable asking for his job. The double standard is irritating.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Sitake was my #3 pick from the start, behind Anderson and Niumatalolo. It's looking like even that was too generous.



The question is, how long will it take for Holmoe to cut our losses? Three straight losing seasons like Crowton? And when will the powers that be kick Holmoe himself to the curb? I don't care what other sports are doing well. Football (with Men's basketball as a distant second) are the only ones that matter.
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:

Sitake was my #3 pick from the start, behind Anderson and Niumatalolo. It's looking like even that was too generous.


Mine too. What irritates me the most about his hire is 2 years before Bronco left, there was a movement to hire him and demote Bronco to D-coordinator (however that would have worked) :roll: So I am convinced that no one but Sitake was seriously considered after Bronco left. The other 2 candidates that you mentioned, both said in interviews that they didn't feel seriously considered.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:


Sitake was my #3 pick from the start, behind Anderson and Niumatalolo. It's looking like even that was too generous.


Mine too. What irritates me the most about his hire is 2 years before Bronco left, there was a movement to hire him and demote Bronco to D-coordinator (however that would have worked) :roll: So I am convinced that no one but Sitake was seriously considered after Bronco left. The other 2 candidates that you mentioned, both said in interviews that they didn't feel seriously considered.


Niumatalolo's interview was a mere formality. Anderson didn't even get one.



People need to understand, even before going on a much deserved rant about Sitake, that the problems start with Holmoe. The guy is a disaster.
C
CougarCrazy
I’m not sure what BYU has the potential to become.



With Mike Leach as a head coach it’s possible they win a national championship. But that’s the problem. BYU has different goals than other programs.



Other programs goals:



1) Win games.

2) Don’t get caught cheating



BYU’s might be:



1) Protect the institutions name

2) Support church leadership

3) Provide name recognition for the the church

4) Produce missionaries for the church

etc ...

14) win games
G
Gunk
Holmoe needs to go.



Go look at his tenure at Cal. Guy doesn't know how to run a successful program. Can't spot talent.
Advertisement
A
a1247
Look at the schedule over the next 3 years. There isn't a coach out there that's turning this program around playing that schedule with all the hand cuffs BYU proudly puts on itself. Mark it down after this year BYU will be lucky to win 6 games combined over the next 3 years.



Byu refuses to change, this goes so much deeper than just coaching. The death of BYU football is happening in front of us.
A
a1247
CougarCrazy wrote:





BYU’s might be:



1) Protect the institutions name

2) Support church leadership

3) Provide name recognition for the the church

4) Produce missionaries for the church

etc ...

14) win games


Then why even have a football program? And why should any of us care if winning is #14.
K
KingCoug
a1247 wrote:






BYU’s might be:



1) Protect the institutions name

2) Support church leadership

3) Provide name recognition for the the church

4) Produce missionaries for the church

etc ...

14) win games


Then why even have a football program? And why should any of us care if winning is #14.


It is possible to have those goals, not sell out by watering down the Honor Code and becoming like every other school, and have winning program but not under the current model BYU is using.
M
mtnradio
KingCoug wrote:


CougarCrazy wrote:





BYU’s might be:



1) Protect the institutions name

2) Support church leadership

3) Provide name recognition for the the church

4) Produce missionaries for the church

etc ...

14) win games


Then why even have a football program? And why should any of us care if winning is #14.


It is possible to have those goals, not sell out by watering down the Honor Code and becoming like every other school, and have winning program but not under the current model BYU is using.


14 is a bit TIC ... Bronco was clear, winning wasn't first. Sorry, i don't remember if it was 3rd or 5th ... and he put a quality product on the field.



KS hasn't said what the priorities are ... but the product quality dropped.



Yes, there are others who could perform at the Bronco level, or higher, without changing HC, Holmoe, etc. The question really is, can we afford them? Do they want to come?
K
KingCoug
mtnradio wrote:
14 is a bit TIC ... Bronco was clear, winning wasn't first. Sorry, i don't remember if it was 3rd or 5th ... and he put a quality product on the field.



KS hasn't said what the priorities are ... but the product quality dropped.



Yes, there are others who could perform at the Bronco level, or higher, without changing HC, Holmoe, etc. The question really is, can we afford them? Do they want to come?


Coaches will come if the money is right. And BYU can obviously afford them but seems intent on playing a P5 schedule with a G5 budget and coaching talent.



1. The Head Coach has to be LDS and that won't change. So go with Anderson. He's our best bet.



2. Open up the checkbook big time. Not only so you can pay Anderson a P5 salary, but also so you have the salaries to attract some of the best coordinators (who don't have to be LDS) in the country. All things considered, our staff should be making at least as much as Utah's, if not more. It really is an arm's race in a lot of ways.



3. Schedule appropriately. The way Holmoe has been doing it is both excessive and unbalanced. It seems he feels he has to schedule 5, 6, 7 P5 teams in order to maintain interest. Well, losing like BYU has is what kills interest faster than anything.



The only P5 teams an Indy BYU needs to play is Utah and Notre Dame. But spread them out. None of this front-loaded crap. Holmoe needs to do what it takes to put Notre Dame permanently on the schedule. 5 for 1? Fine, whatever.



Fill the rest of the schedule with Utah State, Hawaii, Boise State, the Academies, and other independents. Also non-P5 Cal and Texas teams for recruiting.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.