Archived Topic

My Question about Oregon State:

by Mars · 12/17/2009

Advertisement
M
Mars


Is it possible that they have THE best (healthy) QB, THE best RB, THE best WR, and THE best DT (a Samoan from Utah) that BYU has seen this year, all on the same team?
I
Italics
Best QB was probably in OU or FSU

Best RB was in OU or TCU

Best WR's were probably in OU, FSU, and Utah

Best DT was in TCU



so... no!
S
snoscythe
Best QB--I don't think I'll give it to you even if we ignore Bradford. Passer-wise, Canfield is about the equivalent of Ponder, but he isn't going to run on us like Ponder or Dalton, and I don't think he's as accurate as Dalton.



Best RB--Absolutely. Not only has Jacquizz run for more yards than any primary back we have defended with 1377 yards, but he has done it at the highest ypc of 5.4. He's a home-run threat every time.



Best WR--I think Rodgers is the #2 receiver we will face this year. I still think Jeremy Williams from Tulane was the best, he just unfortunately didn't have a top-flight quarterback to get him the ball. I think Rodgers edges out Ryan Broyles for the second-best WR we have defended. Kerley is a good receiver, but he gets a lot of hype for his PR/KR that makes him seem better than offense than he really is. When Kerley gets open, he's deadly, but he's open far less frequently than a premier receiver should be.



Best DT--I think Paea is the best DT we have faced on game day. I think he's right up there with Gerald McCoy, but I think Paea in December is a tougher obstacle than McCoy in game one of the season. I don't know who Italics is talking about since TCU didn't even have a first team all-conference DT, meaning we faced at least two better in conference than whoever he is thinking about. I'm assuming he is thinking of Hughes, in which case he errs because Hughes plays a different position.
B
BerliNY
I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.
J
jonnylingo
BerliNY wrote:
I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.


I am not as worried about stopping the run as I am about stopping their pass game which is a their strength if I understand correctly.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I'd say Canfield is equal to Dalton and Ponder. Better down field passer than both, but less mobility. Honestly, I fear his down field passing most of all. Bradford played on half behind the worst O-line in the country, so hard to compare him.



As to the Rodgers boys, I'd say that Quizz is the best RB we have seen all year for sure. He reminds me of Ronney Jenkins with his size, speed and pass catching skills. Another year like this, and he is in the Heisman mix next year. And James is really fast and will give Logan fits with his speed, but not his size.



I fully expect OSU to put up 30+ points on us, and we will need to score a lot to win. We will move the ball on them, though. Force some turnovers, and I think we take it. Give them away, and we will lose.
I
Italics
jonnylingo wrote:
I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.


I am not as worried about stopping the run as I am about stopping their pass game which is a their strength if I understand correctly.


I think passing is the strength of ANY team when playing BYU.
B
byutx
Italics wrote:
BerliNY wrote:
I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.


I am not as worried about stopping the run as I am about stopping their pass game which is a their strength if I understand correctly.


I think passing is the strength of ANY team when playing BYU.

Except for Wyoming, AFA, Utah and Shakey Smithson, of course. And Tulane.
I
Italics
byutx wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.


I am not as worried about stopping the run as I am about stopping their pass game which is a their strength if I understand correctly.


I think passing is the strength of ANY team when playing BYU.

Except for Wyoming, AFA, Utah and Shakey Smithson, of course. And Tulane.


I don't think Tulane or Utah did all that bad at passing against us. We were very lucky Utah didn't have at least two or three long td passes against us.



Wyoming and AFA games I didn't get to see. AFA doesn't surprise me though - this is the same team that only had one pass attempt against Utah. It's sort of like saying, "Man, we sure shut down the passing game of that option-driven Army offense!"
B
byutx
Italics wrote:
Italics wrote:
BerliNY wrote:
I don't know about you, but I for one am really looking forward to this game just to see how good our run defense really is. If we can stop their run game I think we win going away.


I am not as worried about stopping the run as I am about stopping their pass game which is a their strength if I understand correctly.


I think passing is the strength of ANY team when playing BYU.

Except for Wyoming, AFA, Utah and Shakey Smithson, of course. And Tulane.


I don't think Tulane or Utah did all that bad at passing against us. We were very lucky Utah didn't have at least two or three long td passes against us.



Wyoming and AFA games I didn't get to see. AFA doesn't surprise me though - this is the same team that only had one pass attempt against Utah. It's sort of like saying, "Man, we sure shut down the passing game of that option-driven Army offense!"

1. Was it luck or did we rattle Wynn? He completed those passes vs. UNM, SDSU and even against TCU.

2. The AFA, Wyo and Tulane reference was TIC. (you should've known better :D )
Advertisement
S
Short_Change
Mars wrote:


Is it possible that they have THE best (healthy) QB, THE best RB, THE best WR, and THE best DT (a Samoan from Utah) that BYU has seen this year, all on the same team?


Paea is from Cali not Utah and McCoy is better IMO. Canfield is good but I don't think he's better than Dalton or Ponder. David Reed, Jeremy Williams, and Vincent Brown (from SDSU who got injured the game after BYU) are better. Quiz is probably the best RB we've faced though.
M
Mars
Short_Change wrote:
Is it possible that they have THE best (healthy) QB, THE best RB, THE best WR, and THE best DT (a Samoan from Utah) that BYU has seen this year, all on the same team?
Paea is from Cali not Utah and McCoy is better IMO. Canfield is good but I don't think he's better than Dalton or Ponder. David Reed, Jeremy Williams, and Vincent Brown (from SDSU who got injured the game after BYU) are better. Quiz is probably the best RB we've faced though.

Paea moved from TONGA to Utah, played high school ball at Timpview, then went on to Snow College (Ephraim, UT), according to his Scout.com profile.



And as far as my list:



QB:

1. Bradford, OU (for half a game) - Weak OL

2. Canfield, Oregon State (will get drafted ahead of Max Hall) - Best arm (behind an excellent OL)

3. Dalton, TCU - Smartest game manager

4. Ponder, Florida State - Very high potential



RB:

1. Asiata, Utah (had he stayed healthy) - Strongest power rusher

2. Jaquizz, Oregon State - Best overall season by far

3. The OU duo

4. The TCU core

5. The Florida State core



WR:

1. James Rodgers - Best pure receiver

2. Broyles, OU - Speedy slot receiver

3. Reed, Utah

4. The SDSU kid

5. Kerley, TCU - Even better on special teams



DT:

1. McCoy, OU - Absolute beast!

2. Paea, Oregon State - Best in the PAC-10

3. Utah's starter?

4. TCU's starter?
S
Schmoe
Yep, Paea played at Timpview high school.
S
Short_Change
Wow, he did play there. My little brother actually played with him. I vaguely remember him. My brother said in HS he had a lot of potential but didn't really know the game very well yet. He was benching over 400 and squating over 550 in HS my little brother said. Dang!



He actually came from Tonga not Samoa and had to learn english. I'm sure that's why he had to go to snow first. I wonder why we didn't get him. Did we recruit him and if we didn't was it because he didn't have the grades or was it just that we didn't want him? We really could have used him!
S
Short_Change
According to Scout it looks like we offered him, but he wasn't interested. I wonder why. I'm guessing he isn't LDS and maybe that's why. He was rated as a 3 star athlete out of Snow.
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
Short_Change wrote:
According to Scout it looks like we offered him, but he wasn't interested. I wonder why. I'm guessing he isn't LDS and maybe that's why. He was rated as a 3 star athlete out of Snow.


There are quite a few LDS polynesian players at OSU.



Devin Unga

Eric Moala Liavaa

Kaulin Krebs

Kevin Unga

Mau Nomani

Sioeli Nau

Walker Vave

William Akau'ola Vea



Are all LDS and I believe they have all served missions. So if he is LDS his comfort level is probably pretty high at OSU.
S
Short_Change
Interesting. What is Oregon St's Poly connection?
S
Short_Change
mormonrasta wrote:
According to Scout it looks like we offered him, but he wasn't interested. I wonder why. I'm guessing he isn't LDS and maybe that's why. He was rated as a 3 star athlete out of Snow.


There are quite a few LDS polynesian players at OSU.



Devin Unga

Eric Moala Liavaa

Kaulin Krebs

Kevin Unga

Mau Nomani

Sioeli Nau

Walker Vave

William Akau'ola Vea



Are all LDS and I believe they have all served missions. So if he is LDS his comfort level is probably pretty high at OSU.


One interesting thing though is that on his scout profile it said he had no interest towards BYU. If he were LDS I would have thought he'd put BYU at least at Medium interest. Utah was also at no interest. I don't know how all of those recruiting sites work. For all I know his interest level could have been changed once he verballed. I don't know. Maybe someone else knows.
B
bball
Oregon State scares me. I've watched several of their games, and boy, those guys can play. They are not unbeatable, but they are good. It will take a complete game from BYU to win, the defense will have to make plays, make them punt a few times. The offense is going to have to score points, Unga is going to have to get yards, and receivers are going to have to catch everything thrown their way. I'd love this to be a battle to the end, with BYU winning on a clock eating drive, 38-35.
M
mizzoucoug
My question about Oregon State: how soon do they put in the 2nd stringers? I don't think there is a motivation issue on the Cougs' part, but I think there is quite a talent gap on our defense. I just don't see us stopping OSU this game. They are a skilled and disciplined FSU...what chance do we have? What am I missing besides the faint possibility that the OU Cougs come out to play?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.