Archived Topic

Georgia Tech @BYU Prediction Thread

by Cougarbib · 10/7/2013

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Well, I'm 1 for 5 this season, so I hope after tomorrow I'm 1 for 6. The only game I got right this season was the MTS game.



GA Tech 24

BYU 21



It just seems that in losing Ziggy, we're almost as good as last year in D, but not quite. For BYU the game last year was the "perfect storm" and I believe it's not probable that so much will go right again.
C
Cougarfan87
Wolfman wrote:
I haven't weighed in since the Utah State game. I must say... was very impressed with Hill's passing last Saturday... I saw some touch and accuracy I haven't seen all year and that was nice to see, although, it was rather evident that after Keeton went down to a season-ending injury and their offense went 3 and out on 3 straight possessions that their D was getting demoralized after temporarily stepping it up and forcing the Cougs to punt on two straight series. Still though... Hill looked good and improved... hopefully he can keep it up. Has anyone ever seen this site... it's fantastic if you're a college football stat junkie:



http://www.cfbstats.com



The Jackets and Cougs are virtually mirror images of each other... they're both in the top 15 in rushing (#7 and # 13 respectively), their passing offenses are ranked around 100th in the nation, their rushing D's are in the top 40 (GT is #28 and the Cougs are #40), their passing D's are also in the top 40 (BYU is #27 and GT #38) and their total D's are in the top 25 (GT is #20 and BYU #24). Their SOS's are also pretty close (BYU's is 32 and GT's is 41). On paper, this looks to be even, however, the difference maker in this one will be the Cougs' physicality... it's what did GT in last year as they weren't able to match BYU physically and there's no reason to think it won't happen again this year. Cougs by 14 (31-17). Not only that, BYU has been able to handle the triple option fairly well in the last 4-5 years and so barring any speed or containment problems for the Cougs, the Y wins and covers the spread.


I'm with you. I think BYU wins this by at least 14 and it would be more but Georgia Tech gets a garbage time TD. I like the score you chose, though, so I have to figure out a way to differentiate. I'll add a BYU safety--another Van Noy special. 33-17 Cougs.
M
mizzoucoug
Wolfie picked BYU to win against a BCS team! This has to be a first...
S
snoscythe
38-17. I don't think our D will be able to pin them down like last year--Tech will be looking to avenge, and their O will get more snaps by virtue of our own GFGH and inconsistency on offense.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
38-17. I don't think our D will be able to pin them down like last year--Tech will be looking to avenge, and their O will get more snaps by virtue of our own GFGH and inconsistency on offense.


If you are correct and their O gets more snaps and our D is not as good as last year then how does BYU have the ball enough to score 38? That seems like a tall order given GT's time of possession strategy. That and the fact that byu is really crappy and red zone scoring. i could see it if we were really good at getting touchdowns when in the red zone, but we aren't.



I see BYU winning but I don't see them putting up 38 pionts. if byu is settling for field goals it could end up being a very close game. gt has a great field goal kicker.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
EM_Puma wrote:
Well, I'm 1 for 5 this season, so I hope after tomorrow I'm 1 for 6. The only game I got right this season was the MTS game.



GA Tech 24

BYU 21



It just seems that in losing Ziggy, we're almost as good as last year in D, but not quite. For BYU the game last year was the "perfect storm" and I believe it's not probable that so much will go right again.


Well I can see why you are 1-6 :) you keep picking against your team. Last week I picked against the Cougs for the first time. Won't do it again. this team can beat anybody if our offense executes.



Tell me why you think BYU only puts up 21?
S
snoscythe
jonnylingo wrote:
38-17. I don't think our D will be able to pin them down like last year--Tech will be looking to avenge, and their O will get more snaps by virtue of our own GFGH and inconsistency on offense.


If you are correct and their O gets more snaps and our D is not as good as last year then how does BYU have the ball enough to score 38?


An offense defined by 5-6 plays series. We seem to either score on a big play, or have a drive quickly peter out. Nothing much sustained. I also think our defense gets a couple of turnovers this game as it has been a point of emphasis this week.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
38-17. I don't think our D will be able to pin them down like last year--Tech will be looking to avenge, and their O will get more snaps by virtue of our own GFGH and inconsistency on offense.


If you are correct and their O gets more snaps and our D is not as good as last year then how does BYU have the ball enough to score 38?


An offense defined by 5-6 plays series. We seem to either score on a big play, or have a drive quickly peter out. Nothing much sustained. I also think our defense gets a couple of turnovers this game as it has been a point of emphasis this week.


I expect turnovers in our favor as well but i am not as confident. our turnover margin is horrendous and gtech is in the positive margin on the season I believe.
E
EM_Puma
jonnylingo wrote:
Well, I'm 1 for 5 this season, so I hope after tomorrow I'm 1 for 6. The only game I got right this season was the MTS game.



GA Tech 24

BYU 21



It just seems that in losing Ziggy, we're almost as good as last year in D, but not quite. For BYU the game last year was the "perfect storm" and I believe it's not probable that so much will go right again.


Well I can see why you are 1-6 :) you keep picking against your team. Last week I picked against the Cougs for the first time. Won't do it again. this team can beat anybody if our offense executes.



Tell me why you think BYU only puts up 21?


So I picked us to beat Virginia and Puketah, didn't get those, but I didn't pick against us. Then I thought Texas and USU would beat us, so I was rong there.



Why only 21? I've watched four of GA Tech's games and we seem pretty evenly matched. I honestly was hoping if I picked them, with the way I'm picking this season, that then we'd win. We do have home field advantage, but we see what that's done for us against the Pukes. I know we can win if we play sound assignment ball and we don't constantly turn the ball over. Either way, after rewatching the game from last year, it was one of Ziggy's finest and his speed was a factor. So far I haven't seen the same wheels on any of the DL, which would indicated a much closer game than last season.
S
stgeorgefan
EM_Puma wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
Well, I'm 1 for 5 this season, so I hope after tomorrow I'm 1 for 6. The only game I got right this season was the MTS game.



GA Tech 24

BYU 21



It just seems that in losing Ziggy, we're almost as good as last year in D, but not quite. For BYU the game last year was the "perfect storm" and I believe it's not probable that so much will go right again.


Well I can see why you are 1-6 :) you keep picking against your team. Last week I picked against the Cougs for the first time. Won't do it again. this team can beat anybody if our offense executes.



Tell me why you think BYU only puts up 21?


So I picked us to beat Virginia and Puketah, didn't get those, but I didn't pick against us. Then I thought Texas and USU would beat us, so I was rong there.



Why only 21? I've watched four of GA Tech's games and we seem pretty evenly matched. I honestly was hoping if I picked them, with the way I'm picking this season, that then we'd win. We do have home field advantage, but we see what that's done for us against the Pukes. I know we can win if we play sound assignment ball and we don't constantly turn the ball over. Either way, after rewatching the game from last year, it was one of Ziggy's finest and his speed was a factor. So far I haven't seen the same wheels on any of the DL, which would indicated a much closer game than last season.


I don't know if ziggy not playing will be a factor. I think Ethan Manu. at nose against the option makes it a draw. The bigger fifference maker for me is the LB's vs the option. On paper we are weaker without Uona, Tree and Hadley. Uani makes up for Uona but is Beck/jorgenson better than Tree? I say no.

Byu dominated GT last year. Without the kickoff return etc we shut them down. Being worse agaist the run this year and the LBer differences listed above, I think we give up at least 10-17 points more than last year. BUT even with the differences on defense, I think our offense can outscore their offense. Looking at matchups I think our offense will be better vs their defense. Hard to go against Vegas at the very least. Byu barring anything crazy, by 6 bare minimum.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Georgia Tech won't score more than 2 offensive touchdowns unless BYU is turning the ball over a lot. BYU should roll these guys.
S
stgeorgefan
SpiffCoug wrote:
Georgia Tech won't score more than 2 offensive touchdowns unless BYU is turning the ball over a lot. BYU should roll these guys.

They scored 1 last year, so if they get up to 14 points I still think were in great shape.



If Byu can avoid a kick return, pick 6 etc. I think we hold them under 20 points easy.
S
snoscythe
jonnylingo wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
38-17. I don't think our D will be able to pin them down like last year--Tech will be looking to avenge, and their O will get more snaps by virtue of our own GFGH and inconsistency on offense.


If you are correct and their O gets more snaps and our D is not as good as last year then how does BYU have the ball enough to score 38?


An offense defined by 5-6 plays series. We seem to either score on a big play, or have a drive quickly peter out. Nothing much sustained. I also think our defense gets a couple of turnovers this game as it has been a point of emphasis this week.


I expect turnovers in our favor as well but i am not as confident. our turnover margin is horrendous and gtech is in the positive margin on the season I believe.


:crazy:
Page 2 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.