Archived Topic

BYU getting in Utah's head early?

by hawkwing · 8/26/2013

Advertisement
G
Guest
So if you've read Spiff's notes from the Big Blue Bash you know there was a lot of talk about the upcoming Utah game and some bulletin board material was thrown out. I love it. I like the fact that BYU is acknowledging that the game is bigger and more important. I hope this leads to BYU being better able to manage the intensity that comes with this game.



I realized over the weekend it could also be an attempt to get inside the Ute's heads and distract them from the upcoming season opener against Utah State. A team that is perhaps slightly better than them, but travelling to play them. Does this benefit Utah State?
C
Cougs_Rule
There is a greater risk of their own hubris than fearing BYU. Clearly, they have the advantage if it comes to being inside players heads. BYU may not be afraid of Utah, but three in a row is three in a row.

Besides, they see USU and BYU as must wins if they hope to get to a bowl game. They have much bigger demons in their head called USC, Oregon, Stanford, etc.

I really don't think BYU wins the battle of head casing.
G
Guest
I disagree. The utes have already given up on USC, Oregon, and Stanford. They know they have no chance. Their only hope at respectability this year comes from beating Utah State and BYU.
C
CrimsonCoug
Bottom line is that Whit's gotta realize that the best way to keep his job come season's end is to claim 'best in state' status and win at least 1 PAC game against a decent (winning record) team. If I'm him (spits twice over left shoulder), I'd privately see the USC/OR/Stanford games as really unlikely, and even unlikely if the team's morale takes a hit by losing to one of the in-state schools. Therefore, going all in on USU and BYU is paramount for the Utes to have a successful season. Lose both of those, and they're toast. Lose 1 of those (to BYU) and it's still not pretty.

Don't know if that means BYU is getting into Utah's head, but make no mistake: BYU is the most important game on Kwhitt's calendar. Whether he realizes it or not.
S
snoscythe
...or vice versa--Utah's in BYU's head early.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
...or vice versa--Utah's in BYU's head early.


Yep.
B
Brayden Green
I agree with the OP and others that I like the focus and attention this game is getting. This and Utah St are the most important games on the schedule year in and year out. You have to be the best in state to accomplish some of the goals that the BYU program has. I disagree that it is possible for this game to get into :utard: 's head. Winners of the last three, 4 of the last 5, 5 of the last seven, 7 of the last 10. That is dominance, plain and simple.



The pressure is on KWhitt, sure, but the pressure is on more than ever for Bronco to win this game. We should be the favorites (again) though only marginally, because it is at home. I understand that he just got a new contract, but only 80% of the fans are on board, with a portion of those 80 being somewhat on the fence. Going into the 4th game of the season 1-2, or 0-3 with a 4th straight loss to Utah is going to be brutal. There will be nothing short of a revolt on hand within the fan base.
S
SpiffCoug
Utah is going to put ALL their focus this year into two games: vs Utah St and at BYU.



They're staring eight conference losses in the face. If he loses to Utah St AND BYU, Whittingham is going to lose 10 games and be looking at having lost 18 of his first 25 games in conference and be having lost 14 of his last 17 conference games.



Lose to BYU AND Utah St and he may not survive the season.



The only way Whitt can keep his job is to win the "state title."



He HAS to focus on those two games, because those are the only two games that can save his job. Because he's going to lose at least six conference games again.
S
Stirfry
I really dont see Kwhitt getting fired this year unless they only get 1-2 wins (which could happen but it's really unlikely). Chris Hill needs Kyle as his shining star due to the problems elsewhere at Utah athletics.



I'd be really surprised if USU can beat Utah this week. They lost their coach and they've lost 3 NFL running backs in 2 years. Chuckie is still the glue that holds that team together but it'd be really surprising if they win at Utah (and very enjoyable!).
F
frdbtr
Talk is cheap. It doesn't matter what BYU says about utah right now. It only matters whether they come out focused on the game when the game starts. utah is in BYU's head and it shows on the football field. There hasn't been a game against the utes since 96 where BYU came out focused and ready to play. As far as Kwhit, he knows that his job depends on beating BYU this year. He will be gone this time next year if he loses to BYU this year since the utes are going to have a losing record this year. Losing record + Loss to BYU spells doom for Kwhit.
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
What's going to be miserable is when we lose to Utah this year. All this talk about being in their head, about how our O can't possibly be worse than last year, how our D won't skip a beat because of all the talent we have is just going to be make the loss that much more difficult to swallow.



It's not that I am even predicting a loss to the yew, I'm not even sure how to express my despair/frustration, except to say that I don't believe anymore. At all. Not even a little. Maybe it's the only way to deal with the pain that comes from losing to them so much, and so spectacularly lately. I just don't believe that Bronco can get this team ready to beat them.



A win over Utah this year would make the season a success, no matter what else happens. A loss means it's a failure. At least for me.



I'm not one of those that predicts losses to that if they lose I'm right, and if not I can say "I told you so." I truly don't believe that they will. After getting kicked in the head almost every year since 1996, it tends to wear you down. :sick:
S
SpiffCoug
northerncougar wrote:
A win over Utah this year would make the season a success, no matter what else happens. A loss means it's a failure. At least for me.

Especially this year, when the Utes may only four games - being one of those four is going to hurt even more.
C
Cougs_Rule
northerncougar wrote:
What's going to be miserable is when we lose to Utah this year. All this talk about being in their head, about how our O can't possibly be worse than last year, how our D won't skip a beat because of all the talent we have is just going to be make the loss that much more difficult to swallow.



It's not that I am even predicting a loss to the yew, I'm not even sure how to express my despair/frustration, except to say that I don't believe anymore. At all. Not even a little. Maybe it's the only way to deal with the pain that comes from losing to them so much, and so spectacularly lately. I just don't believe that Bronco can get this team ready to beat them.



A win over Utah this year would make the season a success, no matter what else happens. A loss means it's a failure. At least for me.



I'm not one of those that predicts losses to that if they lose I'm right, and if not I can say "I told you so." I truly don't believe that they will. After getting kicked in the head almost every year since 1996, it tends to wear you down. :sick:


Help thou [your] unbelief. I would try to help, but you have to at least believe something. No wonder you are so discouraged. Hop off the "all or nothing train" and life doesn't seem so hopeless.



Although I will give you the loss to Utah piece. If Bronco loses again to the U, and especially if they lose the majority of their games, which they will, unless they are hiding something, Bronco will take an unfortunate blow by the fans. It's taken way too long to figure out this is not "just another game."



I pretty high on Bronco right now. He is the best coach for BYU, all things considered.
S
Screamineagle
The Utah game is a must win this season plain and simple.
S
Schmoe
It's refreshing to see a new attitude under the Bronco administration about the Utah game. You can tell that it's not being treated as "just another game" this year, which is what we need.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Schmoe wrote:
It's refreshing to see a new attitude under the Bronco administration about the Utah game. You can tell that it's not being treated as "just another game" this year, which is what we need.


There is something about the new offensive coaching staff--a theme that seems to run through each one. I think the theme is toughness. I think that will yield dividends this year and into the future.
C
Cougs_Rule
Long live Roger French.
M
mizzoucoug
northerncougar wrote:
What's going to be miserable is when we lose to Utah this year. All this talk about being in their head, about how our O can't possibly be worse than last year, how our D won't skip a beat because of all the talent we have is just going to be make the loss that much more difficult to swallow.



It's not that I am even predicting a loss to the yew, I'm not even sure how to express my despair/frustration, except to say that I don't believe anymore. At all. Not even a little. Maybe it's the only way to deal with the pain that comes from losing to them so much, and so spectacularly lately. I just don't believe that Bronco can get this team ready to beat them.



A win over Utah this year would make the season a success, no matter what else happens. A loss means it's a failure. At least for me.



I'm not one of those that predicts losses to that if they lose I'm right, and if not I can say "I told you so." I truly don't believe that they will. After getting kicked in the head almost every year since 1996, it tends to wear you down. :sick:


Sadly I feel the same way. After Utah beat us again last year they became big brother to us on a certain level. That has got to stop if the program is to advance. I honestly think it's that simple. Kids want to go to a winning program. We know this. KWhit knows this. Does Bronco finally get it?
S
Schmoe
Bronco has a winning program, KWhitt currently doesn't.



But I agree with hoping that Bronco has realized that the rivalry is bigger than just the next game.
N
northerncougar
mizzoucoug wrote:
What's going to be miserable is when we lose to Utah this year. All this talk about being in their head, about how our O can't possibly be worse than last year, how our D won't skip a beat because of all the talent we have is just going to be make the loss that much more difficult to swallow.



It's not that I am even predicting a loss to the yew, I'm not even sure how to express my despair/frustration, except to say that I don't believe anymore. At all. Not even a little. Maybe it's the only way to deal with the pain that comes from losing to them so much, and so spectacularly lately. I just don't believe that Bronco can get this team ready to beat them.



A win over Utah this year would make the season a success, no matter what else happens. A loss means it's a failure. At least for me.



I'm not one of those that predicts losses to that if they lose I'm right, and if not I can say "I told you so." I truly don't believe that they will. After getting kicked in the head almost every year since 1996, it tends to wear you down. :sick:


Sadly I feel the same way. After Utah beat us again last year they became big brother to us on a certain level. That has got to stop if the program is to advance. I honestly think it's that simple. Kids want to go to a winning program. We know this. KWhit knows this. Does Bronco finally get it?


We'll know in just over three weeks. I am hearing him say things about this game that he hasn't said before so after 8 seasons maybe he finally gets it. Maybe...
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.