Archived Topic

Dave McCann Sucks

by stuckinbig10country · 4/21/2013

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
I'd rather have the guy who called the volleyball game tonight than McCann. That wouldn't be my first choice, but hopefully McCann doesn't hang around too long (probably will).
B
BroncoBot
I don't mind the guy.
T
the1blzdcougar
I liked the dude who called the BYU v Marquette NCAA sweet soccer 16 game. Tons more energy and excitement. Maybe he works for the NCAA though cuz I don't remember him calling any other games. Can't actually remember his name
F
frdbtr
I like him. He is an obvious BYU fan and enjoys calling the games. I enjoyed the BYUTV replays during the football season.
C
Cougs_Rule
For the most part I like him as well. He is very "serviceable". Although not spectacular, but also not crappy.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
For the most part I like him as well. He is very "serviceable". Although not spectacular, but also not crappy.


Exactly. This is BYU TV folks - not ESPN Sportscenter. I imagine his paycheck is fairly modest. He is very appropriate for the role.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
He's unprepared, he doesn't know the games (either football or basketball), he is boring. BYU already has better people on staff (as shown in the soccer and volleyball telecasts).
F
frdbtr
stuckinbig10country wrote:
He's unprepared, he doesn't know the games (either football or basketball), he is boring. BYU already has better people on staff (as shown in the soccer and volleyball telecasts).


I didn't notice this in the football replays that I watched. I thought he was very prepared, and when he does interviews, he is very professional and asks great questions in order to get the information that he wants to know. I like him.
E
EM_Puma
He works for me. I like Cleveland and Fowler too. I never cared much for Todd Christensen and I was glad when the mtn collapsed that he didn't find a place at BYUtv.
A
ABYUFAN
I more than like Dave McCann, I think that he's perfect for BYU. He does a great job of not being a homer. He always complements the other team, and knows about their players as well. If BYUtv is to continue broadcasting some away games, it will be because Dave McCan is able to broadcast fairly neutral. Our radio guy (Wrubel) gets to be biased, McCan doesn't get that luxury because he has to appease a broader spectrum, including fans of the other team
Advertisement
S
sage
Compared to Jay Monson, he far excels; vs Craig Bolerjack, not quite as good.



I like him. When he does the broadcast, all I have to think of is Jay Monson, and he seems excellent. Monson was so amateurish, that any thing is better.



Fowler is OK, but not really that professional to listen to. Too obvious.
U
Ungoy
Dave McCann is not bad. When I think of bad BYU announcers, I remember back to when I would watch the KBYU replays during the 2001 season, and when Doman had an option pitch that went to Staley for a TD, all the annoucer said was "Doman and Staley" over and over about 4 or 5 times. I was painful to listen to. I think that's when they had students do the rebroadcasts, so I think this person had no experience being in front of a microphone.
D
dsmith1212
ABYUFAN wrote:
I more than like Dave McCann, I think that he's perfect for BYU. He does a great job of not being a homer. He always complements the other team, and knows about their players as well. If BYUtv is to continue broadcasting some away games, it will be because Dave McCan is able to broadcast fairly neutral. Our radio guy (Wrubel) gets to be biased, McCan doesn't get that luxury because he has to appease a broader spectrum, including fans of the other team


I totally agree. Dave McCann is a class act and we are lucky to have him.
Y
YNot
Dave McCann is good for BYUTV. I think he calls a good game and adds insight and analysis on opponents and what they need to do to win the game or get back in the game that you don't get from a homer.



Who else is REALLY available as a replacement?



I also want Andy Reid as OC and Jim Harbaugh as quarterbacks coach. That doesn't mean that Anae and Beck aren't good for BYU.
S
snoscythe
My feel is that McCann is supposed to be the Bob Costas type guy. A good, friendly studio guy with the 30,000' perspective and some decent interviewing skills.



I don't think he's meant to be a color or play-by-play guy---it's a bit outside his skillset, and I think he just gets forced into it sometimes by staffing shortages.



At least they're not using undergrads though.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
My feel is that McCann is supposed to be the Bob Costas type guy. A good, friendly studio guy with the 30,000' perspective and some decent interviewing skills.



I don't think he's meant to be a color or play-by-play guy---it's a bit outside his skillset, and I think he just gets forced into it sometimes by staffing shortages.



At least they're not using undergrads though.


This. Exactly this.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
snoscythe wrote:
My feel is that McCann is supposed to be the Bob Costas type guy.


He's supposed to be a blowhard piece of crap who inserts political propaganda needlessly into sports?
S
SpiffCoug
McCann isn't great, but anyone who thinks he sucks should listen to ESPN700 during a Utes game or some of the PAC12 or SEC home announcers and then come back and change their mind.
G
Gunk
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I watch a football game I could really care less about who's "calling" the game. If it's radio, I certainly care. But for TV, a commentator is there to add a bit of color and that's it. Sometimes it's even more entertaining when the commentator is bad.



Dave McCann is fine. I hardly notice him, which I think is a good thing. Let's me watch the game in peace.
B
BerliNY
SpiffCoug wrote:
McCann isn't great, but anyone who thinks he sucks should listen to ESPN700 during a Utes game or some of the PAC12 or SEC home announcers and then come back and change their mind.


So true.



Still, I think Jarom Jordan could do it better, much more knowledgeable, more energy, and I think he could maintain that while turning off his internal homer.



Watching McCann do the TrueBlue interview with Taylor Sander was painfully awkward. Maybe it's just me.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.