Archived Topic

I know better than to read Monson

by 1967cougar · 11/5/2012

Advertisement
1
1967cougar
. . . but I was bored and he lured me in. He totally ignores the fact that BYU had agreed with the WAC (for a multitude of reasons) to play their bottom-dwelling teams for two years. We knew what we were getting. We knew it would be like this. We also knew that if we didn't have these games, we might have only played eight or nine games this year. Or maybe we would have scheduled FCS powerhouses. Unspoken is his holier-than-thou insinuation that playing your last three games against Washington, Arizona, and Colorado for an outside chance at a sixth place finishers bowl would be better. What a Ute homer! But I'm preaching to the choir. He's a dork and we all know it. And he knows everything I've stated here. Someone please slap my wrists for reading his tripe.
G
Guest
Monson is an idiot and a troll. I pity his wife and children for having to be related to the moron.
E
EM_Puma
I know. I never read Monson, and somehow I got sucked into reading that stupid article that was like someone reporting that the sun was going to rise tomorrow. There was absolutely no purpose in writing that article because it was as obvious as the nose on your face. Stupid me. I don't know why I was so vulnerable today. I guess similarily I was a bit bored from a weekend of no BYU football and a bit more hungrier than usual.
K
KingCoug
Gordon Monson deserves a tumor at the base of his spine.
S
scott715
You read it because CC has been down.
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
we all read monson. Whether it's to see how bad he's trolling or to see if he ever gives credit. He writes to get people reading/talking.

Sounds like he does a good job at both.
S
stgeorgefan
Whats with the job link?????
S
Stirfry
stgeorgefan wrote:
we all read monson. Whether it's to see how bad he's trolling or to see if he ever gives credit. He writes to get people reading/talking.

Sounds like he does a good job at both.


I'm here to help you in anyway I can St. George. I've been living the Monson free lifestyle for 21 months now and I've never been happier.



Possibly Hawkwing could make up some "I Quit" CC tee-shirts that we could send to posters as an intervention? :crazy: Friends don't let friends read Monson articles.
G
Guest
Yeah, I haven't read a Monson article in at least a year, probably 2. Never been happier.



I continue to believe that if you find yourself agreeing with Monson, you're probably wrong.
F
frdbtr
I can tell a monson article by the headline, I just don't read them. Haven't read one in a while. I think I caved last off season and read one which reaffirmed my commitment never to do it again. Monson is horrible.
Advertisement
M
MTM
stgeorgefan wrote:
we all read monson. Whether it's to see how bad he's trolling or to see if he ever gives credit. He writes to get people reading/talking.

Sounds like he does a good job at both.


Exactly.

He pisses off Utah fans with regularity too.

I think all BYU fans think Monsen and PK are Utah homers and Utah fans think they are BYU homers.
I
IowaCougar
Kind of like the feeling I get when I actually read a thread started by northerncougar. I'm learning my lesson. :roll:
F
Fido
Monson's job is to invoke discussion through hits on the website and/or getting people to buy papers. The best way to get responses is to stir the pot, rattle the beehive, strike the nerve. If that is going to rattle you don't read. We all know that he is going to take a shot at the Utes or Cougars or whatever will get some attention at the moment. He doesn't care if you or I or anyone else like him. It is all accomplishing his goal.
G
Guest
MTM wrote:
we all read monson. Whether it's to see how bad he's trolling or to see if he ever gives credit. He writes to get people reading/talking.

Sounds like he does a good job at both.


Exactly.

He pisses off Utah fans with regularity too.

I think all BYU fans think Monsen and PK are Utah homers and Utah fans think they are BYU homers.


I think it would be interesting to take a years worth Monson trash and sift through it and count the number of negative or condescending Utah articles in comparison to BYU articles. Assuming he does 48 columns a year, I'd guess it'd be around the 35-13 range BYU to Utah.



I'd do it for real, but the idea of reading Monson's trash just is too disgusting.
A
ABYUFAN
Like a dummy I also read the article, and laughed at most of it. It had such little actual thought in it and was so intellectually dishonest I felt sorry for the guy. BYU needs to be pitied because they will not be playing for a conference championship this year... but Utah is? BYU has a lousy end of the season schedule because their remaining three teams left have combined for 9 wins this season, yet Utah’s remaining three teams have combined for a whopping 11 wins. BYU needs to be pitied because they are in a second tier bowl, Utah, however, may not make a bowl game, and if they do, it will not be any better than BYU's game.



Again, the guy is intellectually dishonest, so much so that it was laughable. An 8th grader could have written a column with deeper thought
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
1967cougar wrote:
. . . but I was bored and he lured me in. He totally ignores the fact that BYU had agreed with the WAC (for a multitude of reasons) to play their bottom-dwelling teams for two years. We knew what we were getting. We knew it would be like this. We also knew that if we didn't have these games, we might have only played eight or nine games this year. Or maybe we would have scheduled FCS powerhouses. Unspoken is his holier-than-thou insinuation that playing your last three games against Washington, Arizona, and Colorado for an outside chance at a sixth place finishers bowl would be better. What a Ute homer! But I'm preaching to the choir. He's a dork and we all know it. And he knows everything I've stated here. Someone please slap my wrists for reading his tripe.


Ironically, Ute season ticket holders I sit with think he is a BYU Homer. Apparently is like DM Cougar he loves winding people up and pushing their buttons. Drives hits upward. I know POT - KETTLE - BLACK.



No matter how you look at it - he stirs the pot - multiple pots.
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
Like a dummy I also read the article, and laughed at most of it. It had such little actual thought in it and was so intellectually dishonest I felt sorry for the guy. BYU needs to be pitied because they will not be playing for a conference championship this year... but Utah is? BYU has a lousy end of the season schedule because their remaining three teams left have combined for 9 wins this season, yet Utah’s remaining three teams have combined for a whopping 11 wins. BYU needs to be pitied because they are in a second tier bowl, Utah, however, may not make a bowl game, and if they do, it will not be any better than BYU's game.



Again, the guy is intellectually dishonest, so much so that it was laughable. An 8th grader could have written a column with deeper thought


I do not recall him mentioning Utah in the article - at all, let alone saying he thinks Ute fans are any happier. Perhaps they have a tiny suspend to look forward to - will we even be bowl eligible or be sitting home posting about why no bowl is better than the P bowl - except I think they might have gone to the P Bowl recently. Maybe a little suspense about what mediocre bowl they will get if they actually get one.



I think BYU fans could enjoy following MWC and scouting who we might be playing. Beats roasting nuts by the fire.
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib wrote:
Like a dummy I also read the article, and laughed at most of it. It had such little actual thought in it and was so intellectually dishonest I felt sorry for the guy. BYU needs to be pitied because they will not be playing for a conference championship this year... but Utah is? BYU has a lousy end of the season schedule because their remaining three teams left have combined for 9 wins this season, yet Utah’s remaining three teams have combined for a whopping 11 wins. BYU needs to be pitied because they are in a second tier bowl, Utah, however, may not make a bowl game, and if they do, it will not be any better than BYU's game.



Again, the guy is intellectually dishonest, so much so that it was laughable. An 8th grader could have written a column with deeper thought


I do not recall him mentioning Utah in the article - at all, let alone saying he thinks Ute fans are any happier. Perhaps they have a tiny suspend to look forward to - will we even be bowl eligible or be sitting home posting about why no bowl is better than the P bowl - except I think they might have gone to the P Bowl recently. Maybe a little suspense about what mediocre bowl they will get if they actually get one.



I think BYU fans could enjoy following MWC and scouting who we might be playing. Beats roasting nuts by the fire.


You are right, he didn't mention Utah... and my point is he didn't mention them because he couldn't. His premise was that BYU needs to be pitied because of the state of the program, but the problem with his premise is that it (BYU's program) is not any worse off than Utah's. If his criteria for pitying a program are the items that he mentioned then we need to "pity" over a hundred programs every year...the premise is intellectually dishonest his criteria for pity is not BYU specific, yet he applies it to only BYU
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib wrote:



I think BYU fans could enjoy following MWC and scouting who we might be playing. Beats roasting nuts by the fire.




We are! We're discussing who our bowl opponent will be, we've got some really good options. We're discussing a game against a good SJSU team, that is having a good year (which he totally dismisses) and we can dismiss his drivel as shallow and thoughtless
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Like a dummy I also read the article, and laughed at most of it. It had such little actual thought in it and was so intellectually dishonest I felt sorry for the guy. BYU needs to be pitied because they will not be playing for a conference championship this year... but Utah is? BYU has a lousy end of the season schedule because their remaining three teams left have combined for 9 wins this season, yet Utah’s remaining three teams have combined for a whopping 11 wins. BYU needs to be pitied because they are in a second tier bowl, Utah, however, may not make a bowl game, and if they do, it will not be any better than BYU's game.



Again, the guy is intellectually dishonest, so much so that it was laughable. An 8th grader could have written a column with deeper thought


I do not recall him mentioning Utah in the article - at all, let alone saying he thinks Ute fans are any happier. Perhaps they have a tiny suspend to look forward to - will we even be bowl eligible or be sitting home posting about why no bowl is better than the P bowl - except I think they might have gone to the P Bowl recently. Maybe a little suspense about what mediocre bowl they will get if they actually get one.



I think BYU fans could enjoy following MWC and scouting who we might be playing. Beats roasting nuts by the fire.


You are right, he didn't mention Utah... and my point is he didn't mention them because he couldn't. His premise was that BYU needs to be pitied because of the state of the program, but the problem with his premise is that it (BYU's program) is not any worse off than Utah's. If his criteria for pitying a program are the items that he mentioned then we need to "pity" over a hundred programs every year...the premise is intellectually dishonest his criteria for pity is not BYU specific, yet he applies it to only BYU


If he applied it to both - everyone would have said - yes - and yawned. He makes his living by rubbing people wrong. He will likely write something next week to piss off Ute fans



My recommendation for Brother Monson



Write about how The Pathetic 12 Network is turning out to be just like the Comcast and related mess-ups of The MTN. Ute and other PAC teams have not been able to see their games at all in many cases. And they have had their share of late night games. I was watching for scores a week ago, and the last two games to finish were PAC games.



That could prick some Ute fans - write an article saying their TV coverage is just like MWC. Intellectually dishonest too, due to lack of other context - but a good winder upper.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.