Archived Topic

Confirmed: Hill out for season after botched call

by DarthMagnus · 10/9/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Sounds like BYU needs to change their victory formation signal if it can easily be confused with run another play.
B
Brayden Green
I call bs.



Why would you spend time telling your qb that the clock was still running, after he has just run a called qb option? What, a simple thumbs up and a victory formation call is too hard?



I think that Doman called a qb draw, had an "oh shizz" moment when he realized that he could just kneel a victory, and by the time he tried to correct it was too late.
B
BroncoBot
For what it's worth, I expect Hill to come out of this smarter and even better. I think it forces all the offensive coaches to reevaluate and BYU will be better for it. If Riley comes back healthy and can stay healthy, it could be a win for everyone.
S
SHIZ
better that one man's knee ligaments perish, than an entire blue nation have to watch qb draws and option plays all season long in disbelief.
B
BroncoBot
SHIZ wrote:
better that one man's knee ligaments perish, than an entire blue nation have to watch qb draws and option plays all season long in disbelief.

:lol:
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I call bs.



Why would you spend time telling your qb that the clock was still running, after he has just run a called qb option? What, a simple thumbs up and a victory formation call is too hard?



I think that Doman called a qb draw, had an "oh shizz" moment when he realized that he could just kneel a victory, and by the time he tried to correct it was too late.


From Dick Harmon. Now we have a coverup?





http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765610175/BYU-football-Taysom-Hills-injury-has-Brandon-Doman-on-hot-seat.html?pg=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D
DarthMagnus
That's what it sounds like to me. Again, I'm certainly not privy to all of the circumstances surrounding the situation, but the differences in Bronco's and Doman's stories, the oddity of sending a signal from the sidelines to tell the qb that the clock is rolling, the fact that Doman is also stupidly running the option the play beforehand, and then the Harmon article on top--it is sketchy.
S
Schmoe
DarthMagnus wrote:
...the fact that Doman is also stupidly running the option the play beforehand...


This statement shows a lack of football IQ. When you need a first down to close out the game, you get a first down.
D
Ddawg
Schmoe wrote:
...the fact that Doman is also stupidly running the option the play beforehand...


This statement shows a lack of football IQ. When you need a first down to close out the game, you get a first down.


I hope Bronco and Brandon have a discussion this week about protecting Riley Nelson this Sat. against Oregon St. (and for the rest of the year). They need to then call in Riley Nelson and have a clear discussion with him about QB running, sliding feet first, and not being foolish. No more lowering your head and shoulders. Scramble to buy time. Use all the weapons at your disposal to get yards - preserve your body Riley. You are more important than 2 yards on a single play.



The Cougs must get Riley Nelson thru the next 3 games - healthy - to have a chance of winning all 3 (which I think we can). Yes, I think we can beat Oregon St., Notre Dame at home, and Georgia Tech with a healthy Riley Nelson who is prudent and wise.
B
Brayden Green
Schmoe wrote:
...the fact that Doman is also stupidly running the option the play beforehand...


This statement shows a lack of football IQ. When you need a first down to close out the game, you get a first down.


Which you then proceed to call a qb draw, realize eventually the same thing that millions of people already knew: the game is over with a qb kneel.



Before anyone can stop the wheels you have set in motion, the quarterback snaps the ball and gets hurt.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
DarthMagnus wrote:
That's what it sounds like to me. Again, I'm certainly not privy to all of the circumstances surrounding the situation, but the differences in Bronco's and Doman's stories, the oddity of sending a signal from the sidelines to tell the qb that the clock is rolling, the fact that Doman is also stupidly running the option the play beforehand, and then the Harmon article on top--it is sketchy.


Yes, and that "stupidly" ran Option (in which Hill pitched the ball both times) picked up 2 first downs and ended the game. If the QB draw wasn't run, no one would be criticizing the coaches today. If there hadn't been a bad hit on the QB draw, we would only by scratching our heads at why it was run. The bottom line is it is a game of hits and Hill took one bad one that ended his season. The hit could have come to anyone at any time on the field, that is the breaks. I am so sick of all of you cry babies out there bitching and moaning about stuff that just happens in the game. Yes, mistakes are made, BYU's offense struggled while using a freshman QB as its starter. Stuff happens, freaking get over it WE WON FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!
S
SpiffCoug
Ddawg wrote:
DarthMagnus wrote:
...the fact that Doman is also stupidly running the option the play beforehand...


This statement shows a lack of football IQ. When you need a first down to close out the game, you get a first down.


I hope Bronco and Brandon have a discussion this week about protecting Riley Nelson this Sat. against Oregon St. (and for the rest of the year). They need to then call in Riley Nelson and have a clear discussion with him about QB running, sliding feet first, and not being foolish. No more lowering your head and shoulders. Scramble to buy time. Use all the weapons at your disposal to get yards - preserve your body Riley. You are more important than 2 yards on a single play.



The Cougs must get Riley Nelson thru the next 3 games - healthy - to have a chance of winning all 3 (which I think we can). Yes, I think we can beat Oregon St., Notre Dame at home, and Georgia Tech with a healthy Riley Nelson who is prudent and wise.

^^^^^ T H I S ^^^^^
B
Brayden Green
unfortunately, Riley Nelson happens to be neither healthy, prudent, or wise.



we lose 2 out of the next 3, and we might even lose to Georgia Tech, which is unthinkable.
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
unfortunately, Riley Nelson happens to be neither healthy, prudent, or wise.



we lose 2 out of the next 3, and we might even lose to Georgia Tech, which is unthinkable.

Which is why Bronco and Doman must sit him and tell him it is time to be healthy, prudent or wise.



I would tell him in no uncertain terms that THIS is what is required of him. That he will have a short leash, because BYU can't afford more QB injuries, more turnovers by the QB and substandard play from the QB.



I would give him criteria to meet, that MUST be met, for him to continue to play. I'm leaning towards somewhere between one half and one full game. If he is turning the ball over or not playing healthy, prudent or wise, BYU will move to a QB who can.
F
frdbtr
BlueIsBetter wrote:
unfortunately, Riley Nelson happens to be neither healthy, prudent, or wise.



we lose 2 out of the next 3, and we might even lose to Georgia Tech, which is unthinkable.


Teams have to be able to score on us to beat us. Neither OSU or ND have the offenses to put up touchdowns on our defense. BYU might go into overtime at 0-0 with ND though.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
unfortunately, Riley Nelson happens to be neither healthy, prudent, or wise.



we lose 2 out of the next 3, and we might even lose to Georgia Tech, which is unthinkable.

Which is why Bronco and Doman must sit him and tell him it is time to be healthy, prudent or wise.



I would tell him in no uncertain terms that THIS is what is required of him. That he will have a short leash, because BYU can't afford more QB injuries, more turnovers by the QB and substandard play from the QB.



I would give him criteria to meet, that MUST be met, for him to continue to play. I'm leaning towards somewhere between one half and one full game. If he is turning the ball over or not playing healthy, prudent or wise, BYU will move to a QB who can.


I agree, if his throws don't have the velocity on them that they had in the WSU game, he gets pulled. His first interception that is underthrown by 15 yards and he gets pulled. The first time he tucks and runs head on into a linebacker, he gets pulled for a play.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
unfortunately, Riley Nelson happens to be neither healthy, prudent, or wise.



we lose 2 out of the next 3, and we might even lose to Georgia Tech, which is unthinkable.

Which is why Bronco and Doman must sit him and tell him it is time to be healthy, prudent or wise.



I would tell him in no uncertain terms that THIS is what is required of him. That he will have a short leash, because BYU can't afford more QB injuries, more turnovers by the QB and substandard play from the QB.



I would give him criteria to meet, that MUST be met, for him to continue to play. I'm leaning towards somewhere between one half and one full game. If he is turning the ball over or not playing healthy, prudent or wise, BYU will move to a QB who can.


you would do this. I would do this. At this point, I have no faith in our coaches to do anything of the sort. It is clear that Riley Nelson is held to a different standard than the other 81 members of the team. And it has been clear for the last Two years, building up to now. Bronco decided that the feelings of one player that played one of the worst games by a starter in college history, was more important than the 81 other people on the team working just as hard, caring just as much about winning the game.
B
Brayden Green
frdbtr wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
unfortunately, Riley Nelson happens to be neither healthy, prudent, or wise.



we lose 2 out of the next 3, and we might even lose to Georgia Tech, which is unthinkable.

Which is why Bronco and Doman must sit him and tell him it is time to be healthy, prudent or wise.



I would tell him in no uncertain terms that THIS is what is required of him. That he will have a short leash, because BYU can't afford more QB injuries, more turnovers by the QB and substandard play from the QB.



I would give him criteria to meet, that MUST be met, for him to continue to play. I'm leaning towards somewhere between one half and one full game. If he is turning the ball over or not playing healthy, prudent or wise, BYU will move to a QB who can.


I agree, if his throws don't have the velocity on them that they had in the WSU game, he gets pulled. His first interception that is underthrown by 15 yards and he gets pulled. The first time he tucks and runs head on into a linebacker, he gets pulled for a play.


I agree, but you are kidding yourselves if you think any of these things will happen. RN will continue to do what he has been doing, we will get the same results, and nothing different will happen. Except that Apo will announce his transfer after another game of only getting thrown to twice, on poorly thrown bubble screens, poorly blocked by Hoffman.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Sounds like BYU needs to change their victory formation signal if it can easily be confused with run another play.


That is not what happened - THE CLOCK IS RUNNING signal got confused by an inexperienced QB to mean RUN THE PLAY. Then Taysom turned his back before THE VICTORY signal was given. The SNAP came before BRONCO, at DOMAN's request could get time-out called.



Unfortunate.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
unfortunately, Riley Nelson happens to be neither healthy, prudent, or wise.



we lose 2 out of the next 3, and we might even lose to Georgia Tech, which is unthinkable.

Which is why Bronco and Doman must sit him and tell him it is time to be healthy, prudent or wise.



I would tell him in no uncertain terms that THIS is what is required of him. That he will have a short leash, because BYU can't afford more QB injuries, more turnovers by the QB and substandard play from the QB.



I would give him criteria to meet, that MUST be met, for him to continue to play. I'm leaning towards somewhere between one half and one full game. If he is turning the ball over or not playing healthy, prudent or wise, BYU will move to a QB who can.


I agree, if his throws don't have the velocity on them that they had in the WSU game, he gets pulled. His first interception that is underthrown by 15 yards and he gets pulled. The first time he tucks and runs head on into a linebacker, he gets pulled for a play.


I agree, but you are kidding yourselves if you think any of these things will happen. RN will continue to do what he has been doing, we will get the same results, and nothing different will happen. Except that Apo will announce his transfer after another game of only getting thrown to twice, on poorly thrown bubble screens, poorly blocked by Hoffman.


You are blinded by Apo's potential. He is OK, but far from elite.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 2 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.