Archived Topic

Worst Coaching Decision in the History of BYU Football.

by SpiffCoug · 9/21/2012

Advertisement
C
cougarsunited
CDH wrote:
Funny to hear all the arm chair qbs say how dumb it was to go for 2 in that situation. But we know what Broncos decision was and Chris Peterson said he would have done the same. So lets see 2 coaches in the top ten for winning percentage over the last 5 years opinions vs a bunch of guys who haven't done any thing....... I know who I would trust in that situation.


That is such a freakin' lame coment, Bronco hasn't won anything and while CP was a little better, 90+% of those games I would have won as HC. And don't believe him for saying he would have done that, too, he was so damn happy that Bronco did such a stupid thing.



Armchair or Tom Brady, fact is, it was the wrong call, no it was a stupid call, we have no offense, no QB to warrent such a decision. Our defense would have stopped them in OT and their inapt kicker would have probably missed again, it was plain wrong and stupid
J
jacksonman
I trust Peterson but also believe he was just being the nice guy. Better kicker, better D, new found confidence on O and no timeouts = PAT!!!



Maybe I should rephrase my comment on being in the Crowton era to "We are headed to the Crowton era". We could very well end up with 6 wins and 6 loses (I am embarrassed that our best win might end up being WSU). Next year, our schedule is going to be 2x as hard and we could end up a 4 or 5 win team. At that point, we start losing more recruits, players start transferring, players may stop being as faithful in living the honor code, then scandals, coaches fired, etc.



I want to see big changes now while the ship can still be righted, before we have to give up and build a whole new ship.
C
CDH

That is such a freakin' lame coment, Bronco hasn't won anything and while CP was a little better, 90+% of those games I would have won as HC. And don't believe him for saying he would have done that, too, he was so damn happy that Bronco did such a stupid thing.



Armchair or Tom Brady, fact is, it was the wrong call, no it was a stupid call, we have no offense, no QB to warrent such a decision. Our defense would have stopped them in OT and their inapt kicker would have probably missed again, it was plain wrong and stupid





Yep just as I thought. Again how many games HAVE you won as a HC..........Thats what I thought........ Yep your right they both a piss poor coaches what a joke your off you rocker man......
C
creative45
jacksonman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:30 am



Next year, our schedule is going to be 2x as hard and we could end up a 4 or 5 win team. At that point, we start losing more recruits, players start transferring, players may stop being as faithful in living the honor code, then scandals, coaches fired, etc.



Biblical Proportions



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F
frdbtr
You guys are out of your freaking minds if you think that this D is going to equate to 6 losses this year. All that needs to happen is we need to stop turning the freaking ball over and we win. The team is NOT in total disarray there are just a few things that need cleaned up.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
2 point conversion correct call - always go for win on the road. Problem was we should have run similar play for Hill that we did against WSU for his first passing and rushing TDs. He needed to have ability have option to run or pass. Problem is he lined up too deep and BSU's MVP of DL blew last Hansen forcing Hill to backpedal and throw off balance. We win game if correct play is executed. Behind Bronco's decision to go for it - ride momentum and snatch victory from defeat.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
rblack
I don't think that was the decision that was faulty. The moment of decision (or indecision) was when they started warming up Hill after the pick 6 and then put Nelson in for one more series.

The try for 2? Today, everyone would be singing his praises if it had worked. It's not what I would have called. It's not what alot of fans would have called. The play might not have been the best one to call. However, the decision to go for it was not a bad decision.

Yes, BYU's defense had been dominant all night. However, they were also on the field all night. Was Bronco seeing signs of fatigue on the defense? Would they have been able to maintain the execution level into an overtime? Yes, the offense was finally getting on track. However, they were also being led by a freshman quarterback. Would the Boise defense be able to regroup in an overtime period? Yes, Boise State had a suspect kicking game. However, so do we. Do you really feel comfortable with putting our game winning hopes on a suspect kicking game? Given all those factors, does this really rank as the worst coaching decision ever? Even over Gary Crowton's I wanted to win by more than two points so we lost (Stanford 2003). It was a judgement call and it didn't work.
C
cougarsunited
CDH wrote:

That is such a freakin' lame coment, Bronco hasn't won anything and while CP was a little better, 90+% of those games I would have won as HC. And don't believe him for saying he would have done that, too, he was so damn happy that Bronco did such a stupid thing.



Armchair or Tom Brady, fact is, it was the wrong call, no it was a stupid call, we have no offense, no QB to warrent such a decision. Our defense would have stopped them in OT and their inapt kicker would have probably missed again, it was plain wrong and stupid





Yep just as I thought. Again how many games HAVE you won as a HC..........Thats what I thought........ Yep your right they both a piss poor coaches what a joke your off you rocker man......


What??? either this is only your second day experimenting with the English language, in which case, I am sorry I do not understand what you are saying... OR: Your intelectual capacity is at such a low level that you better tell your mother to turn that computer thingy off you are sitting in front of and never try expressing yourself in written form again.
R
redneckjedi
It was the wrong call, and nobody has said why: clock situation.



There is 3:30 left on the clock, and you have no timeouts, and they have two. If you get the extra two, they have plenty of time to get down the field and score. The deep ball was open for them all night. Maybe the defense comes up with a 4-and-out, but you can say the same thing about kicking it, too.



If you miss it, then your only shot to win the game is to force a 3-and-out. One first down sinks you. And with the way they had been punting the ball, we would likely have had to go 80+ yards with less than 1:30 on the clock and no timeouts with a freshman quarterback and approximately zero success passing the ball. What, we're gonna run it for 80 yards in 1:30? I don't think so. The scoring drive was about that far once you take off the penalties, and it took 5 minutes.



Further, and these points have been elaborated on already, your defense has been lights out all day. They have stopped them with no points within field goal range multiple times, because Boise does not trust its kicker. If you're going to bet on your defense, you do it in overtime, because the clock is no longer against you. Let them get Boise off the field with no points in OT - it could take 10 minutes, but chances are good they can do it. Then, go ahead and be as aggressive as you want, because if you fail, the game is still tied and you can go to another OT. Or stick to the bread and butter, which was running it, because the clock is no longer against you! You get at least one first down, and it's basically an extra point, which we haven't had problems with.



Given what we knew about our defense, their offense, their kicking game, and especially the clock situation, we should have kicked the extra point.
Y
Yndian
We had just driven 90+ yards and Boise's defense was the most tired and on-their-heels they'd been all night. I can understand the call to go for two, and I think with the way Taysom was running, they make it 4 out of 5 times.



I would have kicked the PAT, but to call it "the worst decision ever," or "giving up" or any of the other garbage that's being thrown around is your despair talking, not logic.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
CDH wrote:
Funny to hear all the arm chair qbs say how dumb it was to go for 2 in that situation. But we know what Broncos decision was and Chris Peterson said he would have done the same. So lets see 2 coaches in the top ten for winning percentage over the last 5 years opinions vs a bunch of guys who haven't done any thing....... I know who I would trust in that situation.


The knee jerkers will be demanding that BSU fire Peterson to sate their wounds from losing
B
BroncoBot
Yndian wrote:
We had just driven 90+ yards and Boise's defense was the most tired and on-their-heels they'd been all night. I can understand the call to go for two, and I think with the way Taysom was running, they make it 4 out of 5 times.



I would have kicked the PAT, but to call it "the worst decision ever," or "giving up" or any of the other garbage that's being thrown around is your despair talking, not logic.

Agree.



Personally think that Crowton had some worse decisions. But the whole conversation is subjective.



Shoulda/Woulda/Coulda. I'll still cheering for BYU through thick and thin.
A
ABYUFAN
I Loved the call. How did we lose to Utah last week. Um. Yeah a chip shot field goal. Didn't we have first and goal at the One and come away with nothing earlier in the game? Yes! When your first points of the game come with less than 4 minutes and you have a chance to steal the game you take it. Brilliant call. Those complaining g about this call can officially NEVER complain about the punt in the BC game ever again be ause to do so would be intellectually dishonest



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
After a night of thinking, I get that the "better" call was to go for 2, given the revealing logic amongst coaches--road go, home tie.

HOWEVER, the overwhelmingly poor decision earlier to leave in an ineffective if not destructive Riley, only to create ANOTHER of his four turnovers, was inexcusable, unforgivable and cost the game. Bronco's man-crush for the bulldog Riley, is keeping the pit bull Taysom and this team from very rewarding wins.
S
Stirfry
BroncoBot wrote:
We had just driven 90+ yards and Boise's defense was the most tired and on-their-heels they'd been all night. I can understand the call to go for two, and I think with the way Taysom was running, they make it 4 out of 5 times.



I would have kicked the PAT, but to call it "the worst decision ever," or "giving up" or any of the other garbage that's being thrown around is your despair talking, not logic.

Agree.



Personally think that Crowton had some worse decisions. But the whole conversation is subjective.



Shoulda/Woulda/Coulda. I'll still cheering for BYU through thick and thin.


Agreed. The arm chair QB's with the benefit of hindsight are out in full force. Either way we're taking a risk in that situation and I'd prefer to be aggressive. Our offense had something like 105 yards in 3 1/2 quarters, we're on the road, we've got a freshman qb, and our kicker doesn't install confidence either. I'm fine with the decision. Not fine with the lineman getting destroyed. He would have been more effective if he just laid down in front of the defender.



I'll take this call over Anae's decision to sit on the ball while we had momentum and rely on a 40+ yd field goal in the end of the 2010 Utah game.
Advertisement
B
byutx
The worst call ever under Bronco was either the one that Bronco answered when the Riley camp phoned about transferring, Bronco's call to let Riley lead and divide the team while failing to maintain order or his call to allow Riley to come back in for that 3rd interception.
B
byutx
dmcougar wrote:
After a night of thinking, I get that the "better" call was to go for 2, given the revealing logic amongst coaches--road go, home tie.

HOWEVER, the overwhelmingly poor decision earlier to leave in an ineffective if not destructive Riley, only to create ANOTHER of his four turnovers, was inexcusable, unforgivable and cost the game. Bronco's man-crush for the bulldog Riley, is keeping the pit bull Taysom and this team from very rewarding wins.

Bulldog or Little Chihuahua that could(n't)?
G
Guest
I'm not sure that our kicker could have made the PAT.



I still would have played for over time, but I don't fault the call at all.
B
byutx
Crowton's "win by 9, not 2" moment vs. Stanford was worse.
S
SpiffCoug
redneckjedi wrote:
It was the wrong call, and nobody has said why: clock situation.



There is 3:30 left on the clock, and you have no timeouts, and they have two. If you get the extra two, they have plenty of time to get down the field and score. The deep ball was open for them all night. Maybe the defense comes up with a 4-and-out, but you can say the same thing about kicking it, too.



If you miss it, then your only shot to win the game is to force a 3-and-out. One first down sinks you. And with the way they had been punting the ball, we would likely have had to go 80+ yards with less than 1:30 on the clock and no timeouts with a freshman quarterback and approximately zero success passing the ball. What, we're gonna run it for 80 yards in 1:30? I don't think so. The scoring drive was about that far once you take off the penalties, and it took 5 minutes.



Further, and these points have been elaborated on already, your defense has been lights out all day. They have stopped them with no points within field goal range multiple times, because Boise does not trust its kicker. If you're going to bet on your defense, you do it in overtime, because the clock is no longer against you. Let them get Boise off the field with no points in OT - it could take 10 minutes, but chances are good they can do it. Then, go ahead and be as aggressive as you want, because if you fail, the game is still tied and you can go to another OT. Or stick to the bread and butter, which was running it, because the clock is no longer against you! You get at least one first down, and it's basically an extra point, which we haven't had problems with.



Given what we knew about our defense, their offense, their kicking game, and especially the clock situation, we should have kicked the extra point.

Yes, but all of that implies that our coaches have a sound understanding of clock management. Something they have demonstrated over and over in the Bronco era, that they clearly don't.
Page 4 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.