Archived Topic

Worst Coaching Decision in the History of BYU Football.

by SpiffCoug · 9/21/2012

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
FurriousCougar wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

There certainly was merit for it. Here's my take... Bronco was caught up in the "emotion" of the game. Something we've wanted to see out of him for a while. We wanted to see some innovative play calling. Wanted to be unpredictable. He was providing all of that and I'm fine with trying to get the win. the offense just PLOWED over the last 20 yards of the field and BSU was guessing. Great time for the call but BSU had some players really step up in that final play.




I'm sorry there was no merit for that. And see Bronco's emotion was the problem here. All the times that he needs to grow a pair and do something bold he doesn't. And the ONE time where he should finally play conservative like he normally does, is the ONE time he doesn't. I mean, go figure. Jeez.

You're one furrious cougar. Tough man to please.
F
FurriousCougar
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

There certainly was merit for it. Here's my take... Bronco was caught up in the "emotion" of the game. Something we've wanted to see out of him for a while. We wanted to see some innovative play calling. Wanted to be unpredictable. He was providing all of that and I'm fine with trying to get the win. the offense just PLOWED over the last 20 yards of the field and BSU was guessing. Great time for the call but BSU had some players really step up in that final play.




I'm sorry there was no merit for that. And see Bronco's emotion was the problem here. All the times that he needs to grow a pair and do something bold he doesn't. And the ONE time where he should finally play conservative like he normally does, is the ONE time he doesn't. I mean, go figure. Jeez.

You're one furrious cougar. Tough man to please.


I guess....but when you get payed all that money...I expect smarter decisions than that, and better control of your emotions at the right times, and showing of emotions at the right time. It's not like he's volunteering out of the goodness of his heart.
R
redraider
Terrible call should of given our defense the chance to win it they played there asses off the whole game
B
BroncoBot
FurriousCougar wrote:
FurriousCougar wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

There certainly was merit for it. Here's my take... Bronco was caught up in the "emotion" of the game. Something we've wanted to see out of him for a while. We wanted to see some innovative play calling. Wanted to be unpredictable. He was providing all of that and I'm fine with trying to get the win. the offense just PLOWED over the last 20 yards of the field and BSU was guessing. Great time for the call but BSU had some players really step up in that final play.




I'm sorry there was no merit for that. And see Bronco's emotion was the problem here. All the times that he needs to grow a pair and do something bold he doesn't. And the ONE time where he should finally play conservative like he normally does, is the ONE time he doesn't. I mean, go figure. Jeez.

You're one furrious cougar. Tough man to please.


I guess....but when you get payed all that money...I expect smarter decisions than that, and better control of your emotions at the right times, and showing of emotions at the right time. It's not like he's volunteering out of the goodness of his heart.

This isn't the stock market. ;)
F
FurriousCougar
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

There certainly was merit for it. Here's my take... Bronco was caught up in the "emotion" of the game. Something we've wanted to see out of him for a while. We wanted to see some innovative play calling. Wanted to be unpredictable. He was providing all of that and I'm fine with trying to get the win. the offense just PLOWED over the last 20 yards of the field and BSU was guessing. Great time for the call but BSU had some players really step up in that final play.




I'm sorry there was no merit for that. And see Bronco's emotion was the problem here. All the times that he needs to grow a pair and do something bold he doesn't. And the ONE time where he should finally play conservative like he normally does, is the ONE time he doesn't. I mean, go figure. Jeez.

You're one furrious cougar. Tough man to please.


I guess....but when you get payed all that money...I expect smarter decisions than that, and better control of your emotions at the right times, and showing of emotions at the right time. It's not like he's volunteering out of the goodness of his heart.

This isn't the stock market. ;)


Everything is economics my friend...except the gospel.
Advertisement
S
SHIZ
Y 4 Ever wrote:
You are all crazy. It was absolutely the right call. Raise your hand if you think byu would have won in ot. but at that point byu had the momentum and bsu was on their heals. When your offense has looked that completely and totally inept, but you have a chance to win the game, you take it. I have no problem with the decision to go for 2.



But the play they ran was stupid.


agree 100%
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
You are all crazy. It was absolutely the right call. Raise your hand if you think byu would have won in ot. but at that point byu had the momentum and bsu was on their heals. When your offense has looked that completely and totally inept, but you have a chance to win the game, you take it. I have no problem with the decision to go for 2.



But the play they ran was stupid.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


**raising my hand** BYU wins in overtime, BYU's defense was dominating BSU, BYU would have won in overtime.

<<raising my hand too>>


<<Raises both hands. I won't tell you which fingers are up or down.>> The offense hadn't scored on you in 4 entire quarters, even getting the ball at the freaking 5 yard line!!!
D
Ddawg
runbyu1 wrote:
Well, let's see.



-We have hit 68 consecutive extra points so a tie was but all guaranteed

-Their offense coudn't and DIDN'T score on us the entire game

-We had all the momentum

-Our offense was finally moving the ball ok



Reason seems to say that we could have kicked the PAT, got a stop on defense, and kicked a field goal to possibly win. Worst case scenario is we go in to overtime where we have ALL the momentum.



Dumbest call I've ever seen in a BYU football game in my life.



Couldn't be more pissed and embarrassed as a BYU fan right now...


It is very discouraging. Such high hopes. Could have, and should have, won the last 2 games.

:sick:
J
Jarhead
When I saw the offense trotting out there to run a play I already labeled it the wrong decision, whether they converted or not. Not kicking an onside kick was unintentionally giving up. Time for a shake up.
J
jacksonman
Should have kicked the PAT. After missing 2-point conversion, with no timeouts, should have kicked on-side kick. We really need someone who understands ANYTHING about offense and managing the clock (saving time-outs) to take the reigns of this team.



What I saw tonight was the WORST coaching I have ever seen in any sporting event. UNACCEPTABLE! I am ready to join the Ute fan at heckling Bronco. Not really but I am ready for a change. We are back to the Crowton era everyone!



At least we have Rose for BB!
Advertisement
T
tjerbear
Why all the previous discussions as part of the posts? Best quarterback running ever in a drive by a BYU quarterback wasted by this decision. Awesome job Taysom.
T
tripwire
jacksonman wrote:
We are back to the Crowton era everyone!


Come on now, I think he should have kicked the PAT too, but let's not get crazy.
T
tjerbear
Just post don't give the idiotic copy and paste inserts.
Y
Y 4 Ever
tripwire wrote:
We are back to the Crowton era everyone!


Come on now, I think he should have kicked the PAT too, but let's not get crazy.


Crowtin would have lost by 30 tonight.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
Y 4 Ever wrote:
jacksonman wrote:
We are back to the Crowton era everyone!


Come on now, I think he should have kicked the PAT too, but let's not get crazy.


Crowtin would have lost by 30 tonight.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Why do you say that? The last time a Crowton-led BYU team played in Boise, they almost beat what is likely to be a better team than this one.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Mingjai wrote:
tripwire wrote:
We are back to the Crowton era everyone!


Come on now, I think he should have kicked the PAT too, but let's not get crazy.


Crowtin would have lost by 30 tonight.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Why do you say that? The last time a Crowton-led BYU team played in Boise, they almost beat what is likely to be a better team than this one.


And the last time crowton played Boise we gor destroyed destroyed home. I don't think you really remember how bad the crowton years were



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
jacksonman wrote:
We are back to the Crowton era everyone!


Come on now, I think he should have kicked the PAT too, but let's not get crazy.


Crowtin would have lost by 30 tonight.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Why do you say that? The last time a Crowton-led BYU team played in Boise, they almost beat what is likely to be a better team than this one.


And the last time crowton played Boise we gor destroyed destroyed home. I don't think you really remember how bad the crowton years were



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I think you have those 2 years reversed. But maybe I do.
B
birdie702
Y 4 Ever wrote:
You are all crazy. It was absolutely the right call. Raise your hand if you think byu would have won in ot. but at that point byu had the momentum and bsu was on their heals. When your offense has looked that completely and totally inept, but you have a chance to win the game, you take it. I have no problem with the decision to go for 2.



But the play they ran was stupid.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Raised my hands and legs....
C
cougarsunited
Y 4 Ever wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

Yeah, after sitting on it for an hour, and given our offensive ineptitude. I think you go for two.



I change my vote.



If you convert it, now Boise has to open up and take chances on offense and maybe they make a mistake trying to force things.



We want aggressive offensive coaches. Right call, bad blocking.


EXACTLY. When your offense is stinking it up, but by some miracle you have a chance to take the lead late in the game, you go for it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If the offense is stinking it up, then what makes you believe that that offense would win the game for us on a 2pt cov. Likely scenario: We go to overtime, no TDs but we have a much better chance at winning the game on a FG than does BSU...
C
CDH
Funny to hear all the arm chair qbs say how dumb it was to go for 2 in that situation. But we know what Broncos decision was and Chris Peterson said he would have done the same. So lets see 2 coaches in the top ten for winning percentage over the last 5 years opinions vs a bunch of guys who haven't done any thing....... I know who I would trust in that situation.
Page 3 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.