Archived Topic

Anyone wonder why Carlino transferred to BYU?

by SpiffCoug · 2/29/2012

Advertisement
B
billbillbillbill
An interesting read. There are a few teams in the Mountain West that should thank Coach Howland for the program he ran.



Glad Matt is here and am looking forward to a few more years!
G
Guest
Wow, amazing what happened there. A good reminder of what can happen when you have a coaching staff that doesn't instill discipline and accountability on ALL of it's players.
B
byucougar1
Atmosphere at UCLA sounds like a typical day on many of the disfunctional NBA teams. Maybe they are prepping the pipeline :-)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
This portion of the article about Carlino makes the atmosphere at the Y seem like the Celestial Kingdom. No wonder he chose the Y - totally opposite conditions.



"From the first practice, Nelson's treatment of Carlino was a divisive issue. Carlino suffered a concussion during the preseason that caused him to miss the first three games. Nelson ridiculed Carlino for letting the injury sideline him. He told Carlino he didn't belong at UCLA and wasn't any good. He would yell at Carlino to leave the locker room, calling him "concussion boy." When Carlino returned to workouts, Nelson would go out of his way to set a screen on Carlino so he could hit him. Eventually, players say, Carlino dreaded practice. It was of little surprise when he left UCLA midway through the season and transferred to BYU.



After Carlino left, there was a team meeting at which Howland said he couldn't respect a quitter.



"But everyone knew why Matt left," says one player. "He didn't want to keep sitting on the bench, but most of all he didn't want to be around Reeves anymore. That wasn't quitting. That was just smart."

"Carlino became eligible for BYU midway through this season and immediately became a standout. Through Sunday, he was averaging 13.0 points and 4.7 assists."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
WOW! I have to imagine that Matt feels like he is in heaven now. I have to imagine the players at UNLV probably feel the same with Rice.
C
CougarClaw
Carlino: I'm looking for a program

Rose: you can come here

Carlino: Will you call me names, hit me, spit in my face or make me play with concussions?

Rose: um no. but you will have to live the H...

Carlino: I"M IN.
E
EM_Puma
Eye opening. I'm shocked that this story has been kept under wraps all of this time.
B
BroncoBot
WHEW! I thought for a second that the title of this thread meant that Carlino was leaving BYU.



Thanks UCLA, keep up the good work down there.
S
SpiffCoug
declocoug wrote:
WHEW! I thought for a second that the title of this thread meant that Carlino was leaving BYU.



Thanks UCLA, keep up the good work down there.

Sorry, my bad. Fixed the title.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
CougarClaw wrote:
Carlino: I'm looking for a program

Rose: you can come here

Carlino: Will you call me names, hit me, spit in my face or make me play with concussions?

Rose: um no. but you will have to live the H...

Carlino: I"M IN.


Haha! Classic.
F
frdbtr
This is a classic example of why it is important to require young players to earn everything they get. Dave Rose and Bronco are great at this. Some young guys respond well to it and others do not. This thug should have been discaplined immediately, now he feels wronged because he got away with so much and then was simply kicked off the team one day for things that didn't seem to be as bad as what he was getting away with. Just bad program discapline all the way around and I am surprised that UCLA hasn't fired this coach yet.
E
EM_Puma
frdbtr wrote:
...I am surprised that UCLA hasn't fired this coach yet.


It will be interesting to see if there is any fallout from such a scathing article. How are the player benefits mentioned not a violation of NCAA rules? I keep wondering why the NCAA was so concerned about OSU players and tats and not such issues of drug abuse and player benefits that were mentioned in this article. No one mentioned $$$, but come on, in that environment and that many top recruits there was no money flying around while players are being escorted in Rolls limo?



As focused on detail as Howland was, his players had the freedom to enjoy the perks of being a Bruin during UCLA's run to the three consecutive Final Fours. There were nights out with current and former NBA players, television stars and models. One evening the partying started at the Beverly Hills mansion of a wealthy UCLA fan. The Bruins were then chauffeured in a Rolls-Royce to a West Hollywood club, where several players were ushered past a long line of people and given VIP treatment at a table in the back. Says one player, "We'd go back to the campus bars and students would say, 'Where have you been?' We'd be like, 'If you only knew.' "



Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html#ixzz1no1LSSs4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Yea, and during this trip to this West Hollywood club, the players all paid for their own drinks, food and entertainment. Sure.
G
Guest
EM_Puma wrote:
...I am surprised that UCLA hasn't fired this coach yet.


It will be interesting to see if there is any fallout from such a scathing article. How are the player benefits mentioned not a violation of NCAA rules? I keep wondering why the NCAA was so concerned about OSU players and tats and not such issues of drug abuse and player benefits that were mentioned in this article. No one mentioned $$$, but come on, in that environment and that many top recruits there was no money flying around while players are being escorted in Rolls limo?



As focused on detail as Howland was, his players had the freedom to enjoy the perks of being a Bruin during UCLA's run to the three consecutive Final Fours. There were nights out with current and former NBA players, television stars and models. One evening the partying started at the Beverly Hills mansion of a wealthy UCLA fan. The Bruins were then chauffeured in a Rolls-Royce to a West Hollywood club, where several players were ushered past a long line of people and given VIP treatment at a table in the back. Says one player, "We'd go back to the campus bars and students would say, 'Where have you been?' We'd be like, 'If you only knew.' "



Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html#ixzz1no1LSSs4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Yea, and during this trip to this West Hollywood club, the players all paid for their own drinks, food and entertainment. Sure.


I know you're an OSU fan, but it's been well demonstrated that the tattoos were only the tip of a drug kingpen world right? Those OSU players were essentially selling their stuff through a tattoo parlor which was also a drug distribution site for drugs.
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, OSU got off very light. I find it hard to believe the OSU players were only getting tattoos for their wares at that particular parlor.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I just knew someone would bring that up (about being an OSU fan), and I am ultra-sensative about that issue since last year. I actually had mentioned it in my last post and then I deleted it. Nothing like having such great friends.



;)
I
imuakahuku
SpiffCoug wrote:
Yeah, OSU got off very light. I find it hard to believe the OSU players were only getting tattoos for their wares at that particular parlor.


There was no charges nor indications (unlike TCU) that players were caught or indicted for selling, distributing, or using drugs. The tatoos were the tip but the body was moslty the players selling game jersey's, awards they had won, and other NCAA items that they had "earned" from football. IIIRC there were some acusations about money from a few boosters and some cars to use or that they were able to purchase w/o credit checks or jobs and such. I will also say that I think that they didn't actually go to far below the surface, that there probably was even more to it but I think the quick actions of OSU to fess up, coach resigning, self imposed sanctions and the like made the NCAA stop looking and then come up additional sanctions for the violations. Kind of like they did with Auburn and USC. They dug a little under the surface and were probably afraid of what they would find so they just acted on the dirt they had and ended it there. USC and Auburn at the very least would probably be getting the death penalties if the NCAA were serious about rules enforcement. But they are trying to protect their cash cow and making "token" gestures that get enough press is about all we will probably ever see.
C
craigoscarson
imuakahuku wrote:
Yeah, OSU got off very light. I find it hard to believe the OSU players were only getting tattoos for their wares at that particular parlor.


There was no charges nor indications (unlike TCU) that players were caught or indicted for selling, distributing, or using drugs. The tatoos were the tip but the body was moslty the players selling game jersey's, awards they had won, and other NCAA items that they had "earned" from football. IIIRC there were some acusations about money from a few boosters and some cars to use or that they were able to purchase w/o credit checks or jobs and such. I will also say that I think that they didn't actually go to far below the surface, that there probably was even more to it but I think the quick actions of OSU to fess up, coach resigning, self imposed sanctions and the like made the NCAA stop looking and then come up additional sanctions for the violations. Kind of like they did with Auburn and USC. They dug a little under the surface and were probably afraid of what they would find so they just acted on the dirt they had and ended it there. USC and Auburn at the very least would probably be getting the death penalties if the NCAA were serious about rules enforcement. But they are trying to protect their cash cow and making "token" gestures that get enough press is about all we will probably ever see.


Let's not forget that Jim Tressel had knowledge and did nothing. To me that's the same indictment that it appears that Ben Howland is now shrouded by. Knowing that the players behavior is bad enough that they should punish them and that punishing them means they might lose games..... and then not punishing them, to me is cheating. OSU doesn't deserve what they attained under Tressel any more than Pete Caroll at USC, etc.



Imagine the outrage if somehow Dave Rose had kept the Brandon Davies thing under wraps...something that would have been a blip on the radar at any other school (I believe it cost BYU an elite eight and quite possibly a final four).... and at every other school premarital sex isn't against the rules. BYU plays by the rules, almost no one else does. OSU, UCLA, USC etc. believe that winning trumps the rules and winning trumps decency and winning trumps doing the right thing. Even the attitude of the president of OSU stinks of "we're above the rules."
Q
Qman
Wow, Reeves Nelson sounds like a future felon/psycho path.
1
1967cougar
Ben Howland = Gary Crowton????
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.