Archived Topic

Projected W-L Record for 2012

by byucougar1 · 2/14/2012

Advertisement
M
Mythranor
Here's my thoughts on next years schedule.



Washington State is a likely win. Leach is a good offensive coach, but I don't expect his team to be playing at a significantly higher level. Leach's first year at Texas Tech he managed 7 wins compared to 6 the year before by the previous coach. So while there was an improvement I'm not sure you can say it was a significant one.

1999 Wins (Spike Dykes, HC): Louisiana Lafayette, Texas A&M, Colorado, Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma

Losses: Arizona State, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Texas

2000 Wins (First year under Mike Leach) New Mexico, Utah State, North Texas, Louisiana Lafayette, Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma State

Losses: Texas A&M, Nebraska, Kansas State, Texas, Oklahoma, East Carolina

It took 3 years before his team had a 9 win season. So while I expect we will see some improvement, I don't expect it to be a significant improvement from them this first year. Likely win (1-0)



Weber State: Win. No questions asked, just a win. (2-0)



Back to back road games at Utah and Boise State. I think we split these, win one and lose one. Chance of winning both probably less than 20%, chance of losing both, not much greater, we'll call it 30%. That leaves us a 50% chance of splitting the two. The Utes play us like we're the most important game of the year, and our team has yet to show that kind of emotion against their rivals. But this year we have Riley and I hope he wants to prove that he can beat our rivals. Boise State has Chris Peterson who, in my opinion, is one of the top 3 head coaches in college football. So I expect a well prepared team, and I expect trick plays which Bronco has struggled with at times. On the other hand, between last year and this year, they have lost about 75% of their 2-deep roster from what I can see. They are young and inexperienced, and might have some growing pains. Another toss up. (3-1)



Hawaii: Same game, different location, same result. I expect us to hold serve at home (4-1)



Utah State: It may be in Logan, but I think Riley wants to show why he should have started the game against them in Utah, picks up where he left off, and reestablishes BYU's supremacy in the rivalry (5-1)



Oregon State: Last two games we have played against them 82-48. Those games have been in Vegas and Oregon. I expect a relatively easy win. (6-1)



Second road trip, Notre Dame/Georgia Tech. I think we split this road series as well, and my bet is a loss to Notre Dame. Though they aren't elite, they are probably the most talented team we will face all year. Kelly showed he can do very good things with a team while at Cincinnati and I expect the Irish to be on the rise, but still beatable (chance of winning probably just under 50%, in the 40-45% range. Georgia Tech on the other hand I think is a likely win. Bronco has a knack for stopping the option (don't bring up 2010 Air Force, remember that was a Jamie Hill coached defense who it was reported, did not ask for Bronco's help in planning for the Falcons if I remember correctly. A quick search pulled up this thread: http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Georgia Tech does run a different option than Air Force but not by a significant amount. I expect Bronco to have his team ready for this game. After the second tough road trip we're 7-2



The season closes out with three easy blowout wins against low ranked WAC teams. Season ends 10-2 with a likely win against whatever MWC team we play in our bowl game. Another 11 win season for Bronco.



As for what to expect if we lose Riley. There are only three games I can see it making a significant difference for. Utah, Boise State and Georgia Tech (Notre Dame's already pegged as a likely loss). If we lose Riley early enough for it to effect the Utah game I expect us to be fine by Georgia Tech. So I would be surprised with less than 9 regular season wins with a bowl game win to cap off another 10-3 season.
C
Cougarbib
You got a good look at without Riley vs good teams the last two years and even vs weak teams like Ole Miss it was not a pretty sight. Hopefully we do not have to find out. Vs Weber State, Idaho, NMSU it will not matter at all. Vs SJSU and Hawaii, we might be OK. You saw what USU was about to do to us. It definitely would cause more than 1 additional loss. Hope he stays healthy.



The other part could happen with Riley Healthy. Maybe even better. Maybe worse. There is not one game that is not a reasonable chance of winning. Upsets happen. Both ways, though. Las Vegas will bet against BYU in 3, 4, or 5 of these depending how the season rolls.



On Sept 1 - experts will likely have BYU unranked, with 3-4 projected regular season losses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
The conventional thinking seems to be...



Certain/Probable Wins

Weber State

Idaho

Hawaii

Utah State

San Jose State

New Mexico State

Washington State

Oregon State



Games in Question

Utah

Boise State

Notre Dame

Georgia Tech





If that's how it was split, or even if we dropped a game in the first group and won a game in the second, we finish 8-4.



Obviously all the games in question are away. And Utah and Boise State are back to back, as are Notre Dame and Georgia Tech. And our bye week doesn't come until week 10, after we've played all of them.



While it may be optimistic, it's not unrealistic to think we could split those games. Hopefully Bronco and Co. will take time during week 2, when we play Weber St, to prep for Utah. It's probably more likely that we could beat Utah than Boise State the following week even though they're losing a lot of players.



I can also see Bronco really wanting to beat Notre Dame and going all out to do so. But then we may have a down game the next week against Georgia Tech, despite Bronco being good at defending the option.



BYU does well when it has a senior-laden team, which it will have again in 2012. I certainly don't see us finishing any worse than 8-4. 9-3 to be the most realistic. Maybe 10-2.
A
ABYUFAN
BYU wins every game, this year... and then the world ends before we get to play in the national championship game (Curses!)
S
scott715
Anyone say Millennial bowl?
Advertisement
M
Mythranor
My thoughts on what happens if Riley goes down comes from the guy I know who plays defense. He told me before the season last year that he expected Riley to be the starter by the end of the year. Of course before the season last year that sounded crazy but he was right. He's already saying Hill is good enough to challenge Riley for the starting position and that Lark isn't too far behind the two. He expects Hill to redshirt, but said it would be more about maintaining eligibility than about skill. He could be wrong, but having called the Jake Heaps/Riley battle last year, I'm inclined to believe him this year.
C
Cougarbib
Mythranor wrote:
My thoughts on what happens if Riley goes down comes from the guy I know who plays defense. He told me before the season last year that he expected Riley to be the starter by the end of the year. Of course before the season last year that sounded crazy but he was right. He's already saying Hill is good enough to challenge Riley for the starting position and that Lark isn't too far behind the two. He expects Hill to redshirt, but said it would be more about maintaining eligibility than about skill. He could be wrong, but having called the Jake Heaps/Riley battle last year, I'm inclined to believe him this year.


I am optimistic that the QB pipeline will serve us well but for a transition period whenever Riley is done - whether due to graduation or injury.



My concern is WSU game may be closer than people want to think - no mop up opportunity. Weber State should provide plenty. I fear Doman will feel the need to play Riley 2 quarters plus opening 2nd half drive then Lark mostly handing off then Munns mostly handing off. I hope they give Roley 1 quarter and then let the backup run the full offense. But if that is Lark, 2013 does not benefit.



Same story game by game. No mop-up or little.



Eventually, the pipeline will produce something sweet as experience is gained.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Did you hear that Dallas Lloyd is coming off of his mission and he wants to come to BYU? Can we have too many QBs?
M
Mars
scott715 wrote:
Did you hear that Dallas Lloyd is coming off of his mission and he wants to come to BYU? Can we have too many QBs?

Not true. He's going to Stanford. His younger brother Jake is considering BYU though.
C
Cougarbib
KingCoug wrote:
The conventional thinking seems to be...



Certain

Weber State

Idaho

New Mexico State



Probable

Hawaii

Utah State

San Jose State



Slight underdogs

Washington State

Oregon State



Games Where BYU is the underdog

Utah

Boise State

Notre Dame

Georgia Tech





Maybe 10-2.


Fixed Your Conventional Wisdom



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Mars wrote:
Did you hear that Dallas Lloyd is coming off of his mission and he wants to come to BYU? Can we have too many QBs?

Not true. He's going to Stanford. His younger brother Jake is considering BYU though.

YYYiiipppeeeee!!!!!



http://www.shadowlandcollectibles.com/media/0f/a20792012e31706c4ba003_m.JPG" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
We have had 11-2 records with Beck and Hall as returning senior QBs and 12-2 with Doman. I imagine we will see similar results with Riley given his athleticism, grit and intelligence.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
byucougar1 wrote:
We have had 11-2 records with Beck and Hall as returning senior QBs and 12-2 with Doman. I imagine we will see similar results with Riley given his athleticism, grit and intelligence.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

BYU almost ALWAYS does well with a senior, returning starter quarterback.

1999* 8-4 (Feterik started in 1998 (BYU started 8-1))

1996 14-1 (Sark started in 1995)

1991* 8-3-2 (Detmer was 10-3 as a JR & SO in '90 and '89)

1985 11-3 (Bosco started in 1984)

1983 11-2 (Young started in 1982)

1981 11-2 (McMahon started in 1980)

1979 11-2 (Wilson started in 1978)
Page 3 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.