Archived Topic

[Poll] Do you want Jake Heaps to succeed?

by DarthMagnus · 12/5/2011

Advertisement
T
tww
snoscythe wrote:
I voted "no" simply because I don't want to deal with any more cognitive dissonance in the future.


Wow, Introducing unemotional real life to the discussion. You do realize that makes you a hater. ;)
B
BYUROCKS
Yes, and I think he will do great, and I think Nelson will get hurt next year, Lark will come in, and we lose a lot, I have not seen if we play enough cupcakes to get to a bowl game, but imho it is a joke if you play 6 cupcakes just to get to a bowl game.
B
BroncoBot
BYUROCKS wrote:
Yes, and I think he will do great, and I think Nelson will get hurt next year, Lark will come in, and we lose a lot, I have not seen if we play enough cupcakes to get to a bowl game, but imho it is a joke if you play 6 cupcakes just to get to a bowl game.

Seriously, might as well join the SEC if that's how you make it to a bowl game.
G
Guest
declocoug wrote:
Yes, and I think he will do great, and I think Nelson will get hurt next year, Lark will come in, and we lose a lot, I have not seen if we play enough cupcakes to get to a bowl game, but imho it is a joke if you play 6 cupcakes just to get to a bowl game.

Seriously, might as well join the SEC if that's how you make it to abowl game.

National Championship game.
B
BoiseBYU
Define success. I hope Jake finds athletic success but really don't care to follow. He's not a Cougar anymore.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
hawkwing wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:
Yes, and I think he will do great, and I think Nelson will get hurt next year, Lark will come in, and we lose a lot, I have not seen if we play enough cupcakes to get to a bowl game, but imho it is a joke if you play 6 cupcakes just to get to a bowl game.

Seriously, might as well join the SEC if that's how you make it to abowl game.

National Championship game.




Yup, that is what I told my dad, if you plan on playing 6 cupcakes, be FL, and pay for Northern North Dakota to come play you.



Or in BB be UNC and play 5 games out of state all year long.
G
Gunk
Ungoy wrote:
Nope.



I want Bronco and Doman to be right on this one so everyone claiming they don't know how to coach top talent can eat crow.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Nice, so you'd rather one fail in order to uphold another. How very good spirited of you. I want Heaps to succeed wherever he goes. Whether or not he succeeds has no bearing on this coaching staff, it just means he wasn't cut out to play here under the circumstances that were laid before him. I want Heaps to be successful except if he plays against BYU. I also want our coaches to be successful as well. There's nothing wrong with wishing for both sides to be successful.



This proves that BYU fans are no different than USU fans when Riley transferred. They vilified him, and still vilify him.


LOL! Seriously, suppose Heaps transfers to some lowly Pac12 school desperate for a QB with a pulse, and Heaps happens to lead the team to the Rose Bowl. Say Heaps goes on to win the Heisman and become a star NFL QB, everything Heaps and his entourage feel he's destined to accomplish. You really believe no one will shake their head at Bronco and company for not holding on to such a player? Don't forget the likely hood of once Heaps is a star QB the "truth" about Bronco and why Heaps transferred will come out. And, people will believe it because after all Heaps would be such a talent. Recruiting would suffer.



Nope, I think it better for BYU he flame out. Nothing personal. I just think it's better for BYU and Bronco. Fanbase would never forgive Bronco.



Everyone predicting his immanent success needs to keep in mind he plays scared, lacks leadership skills, stares down receivers and couldn't hit a receiver in stride if his life depended on it. Some of those he can iron out with practice. The intangibles, leadership skills, toughness and ability to perform under pressure, are harder to come by and him quitting the moment things got tough isn’t taking him any steps closer.
T
tww
This whole poll question is really rather silly. I believe that the die is now cast for Jake's downfall. He is in for a rough ride on life lessons. What hurt Jake most at BYU was entitlement. He will probably negotiate that entitlement again wherever he ends up. The entitlement he insists on is like a drug that will be his undoing. The best thing that could happen to him is for him to hit bottom so that he can get his head straight with a good dose of reality.



No BYU QB ever has been given what Jake was given and it may have crippled him. Transferring won't change that.
M
Mars


I'd love to see him go to Washington State, play for Leach, and beat Utah. For once.
R
rblack
I hope he is able to find a program he can succeed in. It would be nice to see him overcome. That said, if he plays at any school that subsequently plays BYU, I hope that KVN can teach him how to take a hit and that the BYU secondary can teach him the consequences of overthrowing your receivers. I would hope that the lessons extended to multiple sessions.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Mars wrote:


I'd love to see him go to Washington State, play for Leach, and beat Utah. For once.




That I agree with. I would love to see Washington St. beat the Yewts led by Jake. Suhweeeet! Ha-ha-ha-ha!!!
M
Metallicat
I would like the option "Sure, but not as much as I want Oneil Chambers to succeed" Although "Meh" would have been an acceptable answer as well.



In all seriousness, I guess I would be happy for him so succeed somewhere, but I really do respect Chambers that much more after this.
G
Guest
rblack wrote:
I hope he is able to find a program he can succeed in. It would be nice to see him overcome. That said, if he plays at any school that subsequently plays BYU, I hope that KVN can teach him how to take a hit and that the BYU secondary can teach him the consequences of overthrowing your receivers. I would hope that the lessons extended to multiple sessions.


Remember Bryan Kehl's sack(s) of Ben Olsen? That was sweet.
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Absolutely. Why would I wish a very good (mormon) kid, that is a hard worker, and a patriarch of his new family to fail? I would seriously have to be a social degenerate and have issues to be wishing that a 20 year old kid bottoms out. Do/did I wish Haloti Ngata to fail? Or all the other LDS talents that didn't go to BYU for higher ecehelon programs? (Excluding the dbag families from kahuku that have been playing us the last few years.)







The caveat: if he goes to Utah (still our most hated rival) and/or plays BYU I wouldn't want him to succeed. But anything else, sure. And my honest opinion: He is going to KILL wherever he goes. I literally think he will be in the mix for d) all of the above, in a few years. Just sad that he isn't doing it for BYU.


So, in sum, it's a sign of social degeneracy to wish for a very good, hard-working mormon kid and a patriarch of a new family to fail only if he is not a Ute? :skeptic:



You can't try to stake out the moral high ground like that and then just flush it away with something even more petty at the end of it--I'm sure the Utah team has quite a few very good, hard-working, married mormon kids on the team.
B
Brayden Green
The end was TIC. Maybe I didn't quite present it like that. I want any good Mormon kid to succeed in life. In fact, I just want kids to succeed in life, no matter where they go to school, or what beliefs they might have.







On a side note: Ease up a bit. Not everything in life is a challenge against you ;) :)
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
The end was TIC. Maybe I didn't quite present it like that. I want any good Mormon kid to succeed in life. In fact, I just want kids to succeed in life, no matter where they go to school, or what beliefs they might have.







On a side note: Ease up a bit. Not everything in life is a challenge against you ;) :)


Sorry if that came across more snide than it was intended. I was aiming for ironic, and I guess I landed in douchebagistan. You'll note my vote--I don't want him to succeed because I want to avoid cognitive dissonance--a very selfish and idiotic reason, but nevertheless the way I feel.
B
Bluma
Him succeeding elsewhere will say that BYU dropped the ball on him, but other than that, I have no ill wishes towards him. Maybe BYU just wasn't the right fit for him scheme- and staff-wise.
S
snoscythe
BTW--it should be noted that the poll asks whether you want Heaps to succeed, not whether you want him to fail. I think there's a middle ground between the two, and I'd be fine if he ends up in that lukewarm area.



Like LeBron James I don't think he'll win any sort of championship unless he joins a team that would contend for it with or without him and where he doesn't have to be "the guy," and for the same reasons LeBron can't.
L
Lawboy
I root against teams, not individuals.
J
jonnylingo
I hope jake succeeds. most definitely. I think he did a lot for byu and i hope that after he leaves he is succesful. He needed a fresh start. I think he made the right decision in leaving. things had gotten too ugly at byu with the riley/heaps thing.



I will follow him and cheer for him unless he is playing against byu.
Page 2 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.