Archived Topic

[Poll] Do you want Jake Heaps to succeed?

by DarthMagnus · 12/5/2011

Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
Simple question, yes or no. Let's get an idea of what the community is thinking.
S
Schmoe
Sure, I want him to succeed, but not at the expense of our current QB's family.
M
mormonrasta
Absolutely. He brought alot of notoriety to the program. He influenced a few very talented recruits to come here. I assumed he worked very hard and gave a great effort for the program. It just didn't work out. I wish him all the best unless it's against BYU, Arizona, or the Dallas Cowboys.
N
NebraskaCoug
Without a second thought. I wish Heaps the very best. I really hoped he would join the Cougar all-time greats.
G
Guest
Depends on where he goes.



Utah, no, never.

Other places? Meh, as long as he's not playing BYU.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Of course I wish him the best, but I voted 'no' because if he does really well else-where it would validate his concerns about our program. if he does poorly elsewhere, nothing is wrong with our program and it really was all heaps' issues.



i'd much rather the issue walk out the door and do poorly rather than send a NC-calibre talent to Boise or anywhere else and have THEM win with it.



Nothing against heaps or his decision since I wish him well, I just don't like what it proves if he does.
C
Cougs_Rule
THis is a relatively benign question. It would take a real hater to say "no."
D
DarthMagnus
dmcougar wrote:
THis is a relatively benign question. It would take a real hater to say "no."


Yeah, but I think it is a fair question and will show the general sentiment of the community here. I think what we'll see is that most people wish him the best and want him to succeed. But there will definitely be a number of haters.
C
Cougs_Rule
CougarClaw wrote:
Of course I wish him the best, but I voted 'no' because if he does really well else-where it would validate his concerns about our program. if he does poorly elsewhere, nothing is wrong with our program and it really was all heaps' issues.



i'd much rather the issue walk out the door and do poorly rather than send a NC-calibre talent to Boise or anywhere else and have THEM win with it.



Nothing against heaps or his decision since I wish him well, I just don't like what it proves if he does.


So you are ok participating in a system-wide (if we include the fans) denial and/or acceptance about weaknesses in our program--if this does indeed validate concerns about the program. And as well, be ok with the concept of scapegoating?
F
frdbtr
There isn't an "i don't care" So I can't vote.
Advertisement
N
NebraskaCoug
dmcougar wrote:
Of course I wish him the best, but I voted 'no' because if he does really well else-where it would validate his concerns about our program. if he does poorly elsewhere, nothing is wrong with our program and it really was all heaps' issues.



i'd much rather the issue walk out the door and do poorly rather than send a NC-calibre talent to Boise or anywhere else and have THEM win with it.



Nothing against heaps or his decision since I wish him well, I just don't like what it proves if he does.


So you are ok participating in a system-wide (if we include the fans) denial and/or acceptance about weaknesses in our program--if this does indeed validate concerns about the program. And as well, be ok with the concept of scapegoating?




I think there are too many variable for his success elsewhere to "prove" some kind of systemic problem with BYU. It may be perceived that way, and some will argue that perception is reality, but there are too many moving parts to jump to a conclusion about a BYU problem from Jake's success somewhere else. I hope he is able to salvage his dreams, learn that there really is "opposition in all things" in life, deal with adversity and come out on top.
S
snoscythe
I voted "no" simply because I don't want to deal with any more cognitive dissonance in the future.
S
SpiffCoug
I voted yes. But I really don't care if he succeeds or not. I only wanted him to succeed at BYU. I don't care what he does elsewhere.
C
CougarClaw
dmcougar wrote:

So you are ok participating in a system-wide (if we include the fans) denial and/or acceptance about weaknesses in our program--if this does indeed validate concerns about the program. And as well, be ok with the concept of scapegoating?


your assumption is that there is a system-wide problem we're denying. my statement is hoping that it doesn't exist at all. if Heaps goes elsewhere and continues to struggle, are we in denial about something? Is it scape-goating if there really was a single faulty party? probably.



Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you. ;)
C
cougarnerd
NO, because he's leaving. If he had stayed, I would've put YES.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Nope.



I want Bronco and Doman to be right on this one so everyone claiming they don't know how to coach top talent can eat crow.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
Ungoy
Gunk wrote:
Nope.



I want Bronco and Doman to be right on this one so everyone claiming they don't know how to coach top talent can eat crow.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Nice, so you'd rather one fail in order to uphold another. How very good spirited of you. I want Heaps to succeed wherever he goes. Whether or not he succeeds has no bearing on this coaching staff, it just means he wasn't cut out to play here under the circumstances that were laid before him. I want Heaps to be successful except if he plays against BYU. I also want our coaches to be successful as well. There's nothing wrong with wishing for both sides to be successful.



This proves that BYU fans are no different than USU fans when Riley transferred. They vilified him, and still vilify him.
B
Brayden Green
Absolutely. Why would I wish a very good (mormon) kid, that is a hard worker, and a patriarch of his new family to fail? I would seriously have to be a social degenerate and have issues to be wishing that a 20 year old kid bottoms out. Do/did I wish Haloti Ngata to fail? Or all the other LDS talents that didn't go to BYU for higher ecehelon programs? (Excluding the dbag families from kahuku that have been playing us the last few years.)







The caveat: if he goes to Utah (still our most hated rival) and/or plays BYU I wouldn't want him to succeed. But anything else, sure. And my honest opinion: He is going to KILL wherever he goes. I literally think he will be in the mix for d) all of the above, in a few years. Just sad that he isn't doing it for BYU.
D
Ddawg
frdbtr wrote:
There isn't an "i don't care" So I can't vote.


+1. I voted "Yes", with an explanation. I'm not a Jake Heaps hater. Not at all. However, I felt he was started too quickly, too soon.



I wish there was a 3rd choice: 3. Don't care.



I do not have any ill will towards Jake. However, he is no longer @ the Y helping the Cougs win. I feel about Jake the same way I feel about the QB @ Kansas - nothing. Who cares. He is no longer on my radar. Jake quit too quickly & is missing a great opportunity to grow, mature, develop character & learn from adversity. He will be poorer for it.



Go Cougs.
F
frdbtr
I'm going to add to my position that I don't care. Here is my Bold prediction. The rumor is he is looking at various pac 12 schools (not utah) and South carolina. Well, if he goes to any school in the pac 12 or the SEC, I predict that he never starts another college game, obviously he will never make an NFL roster if this happens.



I know this opinion has not been popular with some posters and you may just think I am hating on Heaps and that I really don't know his exact reasoning as to why he transferred but I am really not a Heaps hater. What I am seeing is someone who was has been handed every opportunity to succeed on a silver platter at BYU. The media and the fans would have rioted last year if the coaches had given Riley the starting job last year over heaps, even after Riley out performed him in the WA game (and it wasn't even close). Riley then got injured and Heaps was handed the starting job without the coaches even looking at anyone else. He struggled really bad last year and the fans and the media wouldn't accept that it was Heaps that was the problem but instead blamed recievers for dropping his throws, Robert Anae for not utilizing him correctly and Bronco for allowing the 2qb system to stunt his growth. He played pretty well at the end of last year so everyone relaxed and expected that he come out and dominate this year. Once again we saw the Heaps that we saw in his early starts last year. I fell into the trap of blaming others at that point since he had played well at the end of last year.



Bottom line is, he was handed everything he needed to succceed and has failed. Different QB comes in and the offense starts dominating like we expected to see it dominate with Heaps. What changed? The play calling was essentially the same. All the players who were struggling before were now dominating, because of a different QB. Aaaaaand to top it all off, once he was benched he got weekly interviews with Bronco, trying to coddle him into accepting his new role and working harder.



What did it get? A transfer 15 minutes after the plane lands home from Hawaii. I don't care how you want to frame it, he left the very second he had to encounter any adversity. Call it what you want, I call it quitting. Quitters are not successful, since anything worth while in life will not come to you without hard work. Flame on dmcougar.



Don't come on here and say that this means that I actually care because it does not and I don't, I will not be following him wherever he lands. If someone wants to point out how wrong I am in this prediction 3 years from now if he ends up being successful then go right ahead and I will eat crow then.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.