Archived Topic

BYU in the WCC

by bigblahla · 11/25/2011

Advertisement
B
bigblahla
First time poster and Zags fan here.



So to the BYU faithful I ask now that you have seen your team perform in the beginning of OOC play where do you realistically think BYU will end up in conference play?



I have you battling for 2nd with USF and SMC. Yeah I'm prejudiced but not really as so far the Zags once more look like the top dog in the WCC.



Personally after watching the SMC collapse in Denver I think they are a fourth place team fighting it out with SCU but you have to give the Pioneers from Denver credit, that is a team on the rise.



I've watched two BYU games and the talent is there but not much cohesiveness as of yet at least not what you will need to bring to topple the Zags, USF or SMC if they are on their game.



I know it's early in the season but I have the feeling that you will be able to hear a pin drop at times in your arena when the Zags come to visit and the home folks will be leaving early.



When Landry becomes eligible these Zags will be a very formidable team. There isn't a harder working 5 in D1 ball right now than Big Rob Sacre, shooting 85% from the charity stripe.



I know Carlino will become eligible adding to your team dimension but as BYU fans where do you see the Cougars ending up in WCC conference play.



Go!! Zags!!!
S
scott715
I did not get to see the Zag-BYU game last year. I am still looking for a replay of the game. I got to see one of your games this year and your FM point guard looked awesome. We are replacing our backcourt so we need time to break in new players there. First game was rough but it is looking better. They are young but looks like they have the potential.



Haven't seen much of the other teams (a little of SC last night) but I would be happy if we can take second place but I look more towards the conference getting 3 bids in March.
A
ABYUFAN
The Zags look really good this year, I'm glad the we didn't open there. I see us about how the media did. I'm hoping that we can defend our home court through conference play



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
It just depends Abouo, Hartsock and Davies are a great front line. We need improved guard play. If our young guards Carlino, Winder and Harrison figure it out we should be challenging Gonzaga for the championship. If not it will be tough.
C
Cougarbib
Too early to say. I look forward to establishing a rivalry with the Zags. It seems like we won last time. Maybe it is your turn next. BYU imho will be a little bit off this year. Replacing Jimmer and Jackson will not be possible. Hopefully we just do not fall too far off at the guard line. The other guys are serviceable. We do not have a spectacular player - at least one has not emerged. Carlino should add to the team - but until I see him play - not ready to assume anything big there.



Provo is a tough place to play. Remind the Zags to pack a good lunch and do some extra wind sprints leading up to that week. Where is the nearest mountain? Do the wind sprints up at the top of it.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Very early. I expect BYU to have a lot to say about who wins the WCC. I would be very surprised to see BYU lose a conference home game. We could drop 3-4 on the road though.
B
BerliNY
Welcome to the board mr blahla.



I agree with your observations re: BYU's talent w/o cohesion. We'll see how things come together over the next month or so.



Right now I'm not sure I'd disagree with the media picking us 3rd, we have more potential than that but I don't think we'll realize all of it this year. Maybe.



I just read gonzaga's wikipedia page, it said the zags have won the conference title AND gone to the dance EVERY year since 1998?



Here's hoping for 3 tourney births from the conference and a killer season. The BYU-Gonzaga games are going to be legen ... dary.
S
scott715
Yeh, Mr blahla, can you get me some tickets to our game?
G
Gunk
bigblahla wrote:
First time poster and Zags fan here.



So to the BYU faithful I ask now that you have seen your team perform in the beginning of OOC play where do you realistically think BYU will end up in conference play?



I have you battling for 2nd with USF and SMC. Yeah I'm prejudiced but not really as so far the Zags once more look like the top dog in the WCC.



Personally after watching the SMC collapse in Denver I think they are a fourth place team fighting it out with SCU but you have to give the Pioneers from Denver credit, that is a team on the rise.



I've watched two BYU games and the talent is there but not much cohesiveness as of yet at least not what you will need to bring to topple the Zags, USF or SMC if they are on their game.



I know it's early in the season but I have the feeling that you will be able to hear a pin drop at times in your arena when the Zags come to visit and the home folks will be leaving early.



When Landry becomes eligible these Zags will be a very formidable team. There isn't a harder working 5 in D1 ball right now than Big Rob Sacre, shooting 85% from the charity stripe.



I know Carlino will become eligible adding to your team dimension but as BYU fans where do you see the Cougars ending up in WCC conference play.



Go!! Zags!!!


If we can gel, I see us battling for the top spot. If we flounder, than it will be a fight for 2nd or 3rd and we'll end up being a bubble team (crossing my fingers that the Pac will once again suck).



There are a lot of new players on this team and our backcourt is definitely still a work in progress. What we do have going for us this season that we didn't last season is we have a lot more speed out on the court and can cover ground real quick, which comes in handy when playing the zone. Although it fell apart down the stretch against Wisconsin, our zone has been absolutely stifling this season.



We're strugging with passing a bit this season, which I suspect will get worked out more as the season progresses and a starting PG emerges.



Outside shooting is hot and cold. Noah Hartsock is our best player, not Davies. Followed by Charles Abouo. Hartsock is much improved from last season, can power it in down low, hit the turn around or drop a 3. Noah is currently 4th on the all-time list for block for BYU.



I think we can handle Sacre as we did last season in the tournament without Davies. Pangos is who I worry more about as BYU typically struggles against dominant Gs (haven't seen Pangos play yet, though).



I'm not too worried about Landry, though he ought to give us another body to worry about down low. Abouo actually played with Landry on the Ivory Coast national team, so I'm sure Abouo will be able to fill us in on Landry's tendancies. Odds are Abouo will actually guard him and there aren't many that can score on Abouo.



Looking forward to conference play. Very glad BYU is part of the WCC.
B
BYULV
I think the Zags have the advantage overall and will likely win the conference, but I wouldn't count a win in the Marriott center for gonzaga too quickly. BYU will shoot much better at home, play better defense and wear down teams not used to playing at altitude. Also, since both games are in Febryary, that gives us a lot of time to gel as a team which is really what we need right now . . . And getting Carlino eligible and Collinsworth back on the court.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
If we can gel, I see us battling for the top spot. If we flounder, than it will be a fight for 2nd or 3rd and we'll end up being a bubble team (crossing my fingers that the Pac will once again suck).

Well considering Washington St lost to UC-Riverside and Arizona St lost to DePaul and Utah is atrocious and UCLA has already lost to a WCC team, I think it's a safe bet the Pac-12 will be be pretty sucky once agian.
B
bigblahla
One thing I've learned as a Zag fan watching the WCC is nothing is a given.



Two years ago at LMU the game started with maybe 1000 fans when word spread the Lions were playing more than competitive the stands magically filled for the 2nd half to watch LMU win the game.



The WCC is truly a conference where the bottom team can knock off the top team at any time. There are no givens.



The Zags seem to have the deepest talent pool at this time. As far as handling Big Rob well he has improved his "O" has a hook shot over each shoulder can shoot short to mid-range jumpers to 12' with high accuracy. If you do not double team him you will regret it.



Winning in your arena would be an honor and no easy task but unlike the past few Zag teams this team has the potential to be an offensive juggernaut capable of efficiently scoring from all 5 positions on the floor.



Landry adds another dimension at the 3. Our current 3 Mike Hart is our energy guy but doesn't look for his shot. Landry is as capable defender who can slash, finish at the rim and shoots well from the three. He gives the Zags another dynamic.



Looking forward to the start of what I hope to be a long and competitive rivalry and we do owe you one for last season.



Good luck in OOC play.



Go!! Zags!!!
M
Mars


Right now, I'm of the thought that we lose 4 WCC games this year and finish tied for 2nd place. Those losses would be @ Gonzaga, vs. Gonazaga, @ St. Mary's, and @ Portland. We will see how things shake out though. Going undefeated at home and winning the conference are among Coach Rose's top goals this season, and history tells us that he can do it too.
M
mizzoucoug
If Carlino pans out this team will win the WCC.
S
SpiffCoug
Didn't San Francisco rise up a year or two ago to knock of St Mary's or Gonzaga late in the year at home?
Advertisement
B
bigblahla
San Francisco has beaten the Zags the last two years at home. Both games came down to the final play.



Two years ago a Zag guard made a bad mistake at the wrong time allowing a score tying the game at the end of regulation. USF went on to win in overtime.



Last year went down to the end and was decided by a very subjective call with the Zags on the wrong end.



USF on all cylinders can be a fun game. All five starters can score if Blackwell and Green both show up whoever they play will have a battle as Williams, Doolin and Colario always come to play.



Santa Clara knocked off Villanova yesterday. If Roquemore and Foster are on the Broncos can be a handful. LMU, Pepperdine and USD will knock somebody off they always do. I don't expect much from Portland this season but could be surprised as Rev is a good coach.



Then there are the Gaels the SMC Gaels. The Gaels don't like the Zags much. They won their first game ever under RB at GU last season then proceeded to collapse at the end of the WCC conference race allowing the Zags back in for a share of the title extending our streak to eleven.



No Gonzaga team wants to be the one to break the streak. The competition in conference will be fierce but from what I've seen so far if we play to our potential we have the talent to earn number twelve.



Go!! Zags!!!
Q
Qman
I think everyone believes that top to bottom Gonzaga has the most talent on their roster top to bottom. Usually that determines the conference champion, but we will see how things go. Also college teams change so much by the time conference play begins. Inexperienced players get experience. Injuries happen. It is way to early to speculate with any sort of accuracy.
G
Gunk
One immediate draw back to being in the WCC is getting your hands on tickets for the games.



I live in the Bay Area and I just tried to purchase some tickets for the St. Mary's game. You can only buy tickets if you're a season ticket holder. So, I tried StubHub. Cheapest ticket is $70!



I realize St. Mary's doesn't want their stadium over-run with BYU fans, but the season ticekt holders already have tickets. They don't need to buy tickets. So by making tickets available only to the season ticket holders St. Mary's is basically allowing the season ticket holders to profit off the game. Yet, it still won't keep BYU fans from attending the game as the season ticket holders are just selling the tickets online to whomever and it's the BYU fans that are most likely to buy them as they can't get their hands on them any other way.



Dumb move.
B
BerliNY
Gunk wrote:
One immediate draw back to being in the WCC is getting your hands on tickets for the games.



I live in the Bay Area and I just tried to purchase some tickets for the St. Mary's game. You can only buy tickets if you're a season ticket holder. So, I tried StubHub. Cheapest ticket is $70!



I realize St. Mary's doesn't want their stadium over-run with BYU fans, but the season ticekt holders already have tickets. They don't need to buy tickets. So by making tickets available only to the season ticket holders St. Mary's is basically allowing the season ticket holders to profit off the game. Yet, it still won't keep BYU fans from attending the game as the season ticket holders are just selling the tickets online to whomever and it's the BYU fans that are most likely to buy them as they can't get their hands on them any other way.



Dumb move.


Really dumb move. That's a lot of revenue that could be going to the Ath. Dep. instead of to the season tix holders. I guess they'd be more likely to donate the proceeds to the school, but still ...
A
ABYUFAN
Gunk wrote:
One immediate draw back to being in the WCC is getting your hands on tickets for the games.



I live in the Bay Area and I just tried to purchase some tickets for the St. Mary's game. You can only buy tickets if you're a season ticket holder. So, I tried StubHub. Cheapest ticket is $70!



I realize St. Mary's doesn't want their stadium over-run with BYU fans, but the season ticekt holders already have tickets. They don't need to buy tickets. So by making tickets available only to the season ticket holders St. Mary's is basically allowing the season ticket holders to profit off the game. Yet, it still won't keep BYU fans from attending the game as the season ticket holders are just selling the tickets online to whomever and it's the BYU fans that are most likely to buy them as they can't get their hands on them any other way.



Dumb move.

A group of us are going to the Santa Clara game, should be a good one, you may want to try them - no requirements to be a season ticket holder there...
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.