Archived Topic

Nevermind Heaps, what's up with Quezada?

by Dcr36 · 9/27/2011

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Juice is averaging 2.3 YPC, compared to his 5+ YPC from last year. Different from Heaps, however, is that Quezada really can't blame that on stat inflation from the last half of 2010: While he didn't get the ball much against our early opponents last year, he still had a decent YPC when he did.



I know his he had an injury a few months ago, but it seems odd that it would still be bothering him at this point.
F
frdbtr
Dcr36 wrote:
Juice is averaging 2.3 YPC, compared to his 5+ YPC from last year. Different from Heaps, however, is that Quezada really can't blame that on stat inflation from the last half of 2010: While he didn't get the ball much against our early opponents last year, he still had a decent YPC when he did.



I know his he had an injury a few months ago, but it seems odd that it would still be bothering him at this point.


I think that his ankle is part of it but I think that the issue is the offensive line has not been blocking well this year. I think that Doman's offense is not being executed properly and is causing most of the problems that are being blamed on Heaps. Funny that Quezada is getting a pass though. Maybe it is because everyone can see the run game get blown up before he even gets to the hole, thus he gets a pass.
G
Guest
I think this is a very astute observation.



Quezada is obviously struggling mightily. Our running game has struggled in general, no question, but JJ is still averaging over 4 yards a carry, and the Kariyan has 3.5 yards. So at least as much of our running game problems is due to Doman's poor play calling as offensive line issues. But even if Doman were calling an appropriate amount of running plays, it's clear that Quezada would not be running the ball well.



I'm assuming he's still suffering from his ankle problem. Some people just never heal quite right, or it takes a lot longer than everyone thought. I'm wondering if that's not what we have here.
E
EM_Puma
I would hope that it is the ankle problem. He seems to go down way too easy. I have to love Kariyan last Friday as he knows how to fight for yards. My two most disappointing offensive players thus far this year has been Heaps and Quezada. There is still more time, but I guess I expected more than I have seen. What their exact issues are I don't know, all I know is I expected more.



I still hold back that it might have something to do with our predicability. Utah coach said that per the films, BYU did exactly what they had shown on film. If that really is true, then it's more the coaches fault than the players. Defense sees a certain formation and they respond exactly as if they know what is coming.



One cudo I have to give the offense though was that option on 4th down on UCF's side of the field was total steel cajones. We haven't seen a BYU team take that kind of a gamble in quite some time and how great it was that they actually used something we hadn't really seen all night, unlike some of our 4th down attempts.
S
stuckinbig10country
A few items. The offensive line, as usual, is the biggest disappointment on the team. Every year they are so over-hyped. Weber has to be gone after this year. He should have been gone last year. Almost as big of a problem as Anae, but his players like him.



The offense is out of sync (partially because the O-Line sucks). Juice and Kariya have been hurt on and off during camp and into the season. Heaps is not handling the pressure well and missing easy throws (although it seems to be a little more on the receivers than we have been saying).



The new offense has taken longer for the whole team to grasp than we would have liked. It seems as if they have made some adjustments to simplify it.



Jacobson's play has been atrocious as well. Heaps throws a ball to Apo in the first half that leads to a concussion by putting it up too high. So the one to Jacobson on a similar route, Heaps puts it down low to protect his receiver, and Jacobson doesn't come up with it when it hits him in the stinking hands. I think it's more Heaps than the receivers still, but the receivers haven't helped a ton.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Maybe the line would have been better if we had Ryker Mathews who is out for the year?
M
mizzoucoug
I don't get why anybody would be down on Quezada. Even last year he was only the 3rd option in most games. I think if he were the feature back of this team that his numbers would be better. Not enough touches for Juice.
S
snoscythe
The trainers found out at Ole Miss that Quezada suffers from "impact induced migraines." His practice load has been reduced to mitigate those, and when your practice load goes down, generally your in-game effectiveness drops and you aren't going to get sent in as much, especially if the coaches worry that a stiff hit could put you out of the game with a migraine.



If this turns out to be a long-term condition, I don't think Quezada will ever be more than a #3 back at BYU simply because of that limitation. Wrong sport to have an "impact induced" condition.
Y
Y12
hawkwing wrote:
I'm assuming he's still suffering from his ankle problem. Some people just never heal quite right, or it takes a lot longer than everyone thought. I'm wondering if that's not what we have here.


If this is the case, a medical redshirt might be the best option. Let him fully recover and not waste a year of eligibility with less than 10 carries a game.



J.J. and Kariya will be better with more reps in practice and games.
S
SpiffCoug
if he's played in all four games, it might be too late for a medical RS.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.