Archived Topic

Who Should Start the 2nd Half Vs USU if Heaps gets pulled

by Cougarbib · 9/26/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Assuming Jake Heaps struggles against a 1-2 WAC doormat USU that has been showing some signs of POTENTIAL - there is that word again, and Doman and Bronco finally decide to sit him for a half game, who do you want to see run out to the hurry up huddle for the 2nd half if not sooner?





Riley Nelson - with Lark doing mop up if opportunity arises

James Lark - with Riley continuing to do WildCat as appropriate



Now my iPad 2, fresh out of the box is not showing the option to add a poll - so can one of my CC Buddies turn this into a poll?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Riley Nelson isn't a D1 starting QB. We've already seen that. James Lark was beaten out by Riley Nelson the last two years.



Sorry, but I see no circumstances where Heaps will be pulled at all this season.
B
Brayden Green
We are not a "wildcat" team. You have been watching too much "high school musical" Bib2... (see what I did there?)



I really doubt we have more than 5 plays learned and in functioning operation in the wildcat formation.





You have a new iPad2?



Do you also have an iPhone?



What other cool stuff do you have?!?!?!?! I. MUST. KNOW. !!!!
D
DarthMagnus
I've simulated this game 9 times now in NCAA Football 2012 and Jake consistently manages to impress me. Real big improvements over last Friday's UCF game (I didn't simulate that one, so going off of actual game.) After a turnaround like this in just one week, I really don't see hime getting pulled after the first half. BYU's offense is moving the ball better and scoring touchdowns.
D
Ddawg
If jake was to get pulled (which I don't think will happen) - you would have to go with a "known." That is Riley Nelson. I cannot see putting a true "unknown" in the game unless forced to do so through injuries - which is possible.
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
Heaps wont get pulled, I know all of you that love Riley are going to say give him a shot. he threw one pass and it horrific, I know you can't base everything off of one throw, but guys lets be real. If there was a better option we'd have seen it by know. After Bronco defended jake's play and said there was only a handful of throws that were bad or the wrong read. I thought Bronco had lost his mind, so I went back and watched the game with a much more open mind, guess what Bronco was right. There were 4 really bad reads/ and or throws he made. But then there were that many good throws and reads he made that were dropped, by his receivers. So, you know what, this idea of pulling Jake isn't going to happen especially at this point in the schedule. So lets just forget this idea, unless he does something to warrant being replaced by 2 qbs who aren't D1 talent.
S
snoscythe
DarthMagnus wrote:
BYU's offense is moving the ball better and scoring touchdowns.


Where's the evidence of that???



BYU had drives of 54, -5, 48, 33, 16, 40, 38, 24, 12, and 9 yards. That't not moving the ball well in any scenario.



As for "scoring touchdowns," yeah, they scored all of 2 in the last game, but only when special teams or turnovers gave them the ball inside UCF's 40 yardline. The touchdowns were 38 and 24 yard drives.



When you can't convert third downs, you can't sustain drives, and when you can't sustain drives you can't consistently score. BYU has shown, if anything, a trend of getting worse on third down conversions, especially when passing on third down, whether it be third and long or third and short. BYU is #116 in the nation in third down pass efficiency....to say the least, that's not good. In overall pass efficiency, BYU is #93, but when you get to the second half, we once again find ourselves at #116.



No one is asking Heaps to be #1, or even to 25. We're just asking that the kid be average, especially in crucial moments of the game.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
We are not a "wildcat" team. You have been watching too much "high school musical" Bib2... (see what I did there?)



I really doubt we have more than 5 plays learned and in functioning operation in the wildcat formation.





You have a new iPad2?



Do you also have an iPhone?



What other cool stuff do you have?!?!?!?! I. MUST. KNOW. !!!!

What you need to know is that the iPad is why I can only use quote when quoting very short posts, can't add a poll, and can't PM. In case you wonder why my responses to your posts often do not quote your OP. Same with my iPhone and old iPad.



Well if they only have 5 plays they should be able to get the 6-8 reps per game. Watch Remember The Titans - works like Novocaine after a while when executed to perfection. That wasn't wildcat but the principle holds.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Sno

He is just saying that Jake plays better in practice and on Xbox video games than he played vs. Utah at LES. Video games when properly played will put Heaps in the B CS NC game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
PS. I'm willing to work on making the site more Ipad2 friendly if and when Bib buys me an Ipad2 ;)
Advertisement
I
Isola
Ddawg wrote:
If jake was to get pulled (which I don't think will happen) - you would have to go with a "known." That is Riley Nelson. I cannot see putting a true "unknown" in the game unless forced to do so through injuries - which is possible.

I disagree. The problem is that we have two known commodities (Heaps and Nelson) and neither of them are impressing. If Heaps gets pulled, don't go with a known mediocre. Go with Lark or Munns, both 4-star guys, who has never been given a shot in a real game experience. Let's see what they could do.
G
Guest
Isola wrote:
If jake was to get pulled (which I don't think will happen) - you would have to go with a "known." That is Riley Nelson. I cannot see putting a true "unknown" in the game unless forced to do so through injuries - which is possible.

I disagree. The problem is that we have two known commodities (Heaps and Nelson) and neither of them are impressing. If Heaps gets pulled, don't go with a known mediocre. Go with Lark or Munns, both 4-star guys, who has never been given a shot in a real game experience. Let's see what they could do.

Nelson is not a known commodity, unless you're going by the spring and fall practice games in which he outplayed Heaps.
K
kfilly20
I was there, he didnt outplay heaps in the spring game, not even close. Nelson is not the answer, I honestly cannot believe anyone really truly thinks that, it blows my mind. Heaps did play pretty damn bad against UCF, the previous 3 games he wasn't great but he wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people were making it out to be. How many QB's "get it" 4 games into their sophmore season? Can you name some please? Please?



Nelson is not a known commodity, he just isn't he is a decent back up and that is it. Get over it. If Lark or Nelson were playing head and shoulders above Heaps in practice they would get their shot, but they aren't, so get over it. He is our QB and he will stay our QB.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
PS. I'm willing to work on making the site more Ipad2 friendly if and when Bib buys me an Ipad2 ;)

I love the iPad after initially resisting all things Apple, but many sites like Facebook, etc., don't work quite right on it. Maybe we should all chip in and get one for Hawk.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Isola
hawkwing wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
If jake was to get pulled (which I don't think will happen) - you would have to go with a "known." That is Riley Nelson. I cannot see putting a true "unknown" in the game unless forced to do so through injuries - which is possible.

I disagree. The problem is that we have two known commodities (Heaps and Nelson) and neither of them are impressing. If Heaps gets pulled, don't go with a known mediocre. Go with Lark or Munns, both 4-star guys, who has never been given a shot in a real game experience. Let's see what they could do.

Nelson is not a known commodity, unless you're going by the spring and fall practice games in which he outplayed Heaps.

I guess I feel like I saw enough of him last year. In the Washington game he played well, but I did not like having 1/3 of his touches be runs.



And the Air Force game was a disaster. More runs than passes and a sub 100 PER. 39 touches and less than 200 yards.



With over 100 career passes or runs, I feel like I have seen enough to know that I want to see what Lark can do instead of seeing Nelson again.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Isola wrote:
Isola wrote:
If jake was to get pulled (which I don't think will happen) - you would have to go with a "known." That is Riley Nelson. I cannot see putting a true "unknown" in the game unless forced to do so through injuries - which is possible.

I disagree. The problem is that we have two known commodities (Heaps and Nelson) and neither of them are impressing. If Heaps gets pulled, don't go with a known mediocre. Go with Lark or Munns, both 4-star guys, who has never been given a shot in a real game experience. Let's see what they could do.

Nelson is not a known commodity, unless you're going by the spring and fall practice games in which he outplayed Heaps.

I guess I feel like I saw enough of him last year. In the Washington game he played well, but I did not like having 1/3 of his touches be runs.



And the Air Force game was a disaster. More runs than passes and a sub 100 PER. 39 touches and less than 200 yards.



With over 100 career passes or runs, I feel like I have seen enough to know that I want to see what Lark can do instead of seeing Nelson again.

He was injured. He played well against Washington when he was at his best, got worse as the injury got worse. I'm willing to give him another shot.
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
PS. I'm willing to work on making the site more Ipad2 friendly if and when Bib buys me an Ipad2 ;)


:lol:
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
If jake was to get pulled (which I don't think will happen) - you would have to go with a "known." That is Riley Nelson. I cannot see putting a true "unknown" in the game unless forced to do so through injuries - which is possible.

I disagree. The problem is that we have two known commodities (Heaps and Nelson) and neither of them are impressing. If Heaps gets pulled, don't go with a known mediocre. Go with Lark or Munns, both 4-star guys, who has never been given a shot in a real game experience. Let's see what they could do.

Nelson is not a known commodity, unless you're going by the spring and fall practice games in which he outplayed Heaps.


Now you are just projecting. He didn't outplay Heaps in either game. Heaps and offense drove down the field and scored almost at will. Riley and offense? Not so much.



Did you mean to say that Nelson outplayed Lark? Cause that is the truth.
G
Guest
Riley's team won both games.
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
Riley's team won both games.


Oh, please... :roll:



Because they both played with and against the exact same players, every single rotation. That's right, I remember. Is it that hard to believe that our first team defense was that much better than the first team offense, even then? But here is the deal, we moved the ball against them anyways.



You are being disingenuous at best, to say that Riley outplayed Heaps in either one of those games, let alone both.



Riley outplayed Lark in every facet of the game. Lark had a ton of hype coming into the game, (he had been "out-playing" Nelson in practice - which could mean absolutely nothing because we don't know the scenarios they were using etc etc )

and when Lark got in, he laid a couple big eggs.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.