Archived Topic

TA&M to SEC is now official

by scott715 · 9/26/2011

Advertisement
S
superchargedcougar
how long until BYU is officially invited?
S
SpiffCoug
To the SEC? probably a real long time
S
superchargedcougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
To the SEC? probably a real long time


hahaha i meant to the Big12
L
Lawboy
It means something happened to make the SEC willing to move forward wihout fear of a huge lawsuit. That is what it means. An that is a really big deal
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
From what I hear, Texas wants BYU, and to leave it at 10, OU wants 12 teams, so they are looking at a combo of BYU/TCU/WV/Louisville.
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
It means something happened to make the SEC willing to move forward wihout fear of a huge lawsuit. That is what it means. An that is a really big deal

This. What happened is that the Big 12 Presidents all pledged the next 6 years TV revenue to the conference. That saved the Big 12 for at least 6 years. So what damages could Baylor really claim - for the next 6 years, nobody will lose anything. Without damages, there is no likelihood of any award unless idiots are chosen for the jury.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
BYUROCKS wrote:
From what I hear, Texas wants BYU, and to leave it at 10, OU wants 12 teams, so they are looking at a combo of BYU/TCU/WV/Louisville.

Texas may be the smartest school in all of college football. Staying at 10 schools now that the conference has survived and schools are locked and loaded - Missouri may still be an exposure until the TV Revenue Pledge is signed - is the best path to getting a Big 12 Team into the BCS NC game almost every year because their will be no conference championship game getting in the path. Oklahoma needs to check their egos and listen to the wisdom of Texas.



And BYU needs to jump on board. If Missouri stays it would be great to punk them every year. There is a lot of history and bad blood between Brigham Young and Missouri dating back to Governor Boggs. Just saying.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Here's what I want (I'm not asking much) is word from someone official down the Big 12 way that yea or nay, the Sunday play thing would be or not would be an issue. I want something like the interview of the new Big 12 commish that said there seemed to be an issue with current Big 12 team(s) adding another Texas team (which takes TCU, Houston or SMU completely out of the equation). But at least the TCU folks now know and can end all speculation. That's the subtle way the commish could say that BYU is out of the equation too, by just broadly saying, "any team that would have any limitations as to what days conference championships could be played is out of the equation..." would allow us to likewise know that we are where we are at and that's where we'll stay for now. I don't know that I've seen any Cougar fan out there that doesn't want to be a part of the Big 12. But we just don't want to be drawn out either in speculation and we'd likewise like an end to the potential if there is an end that exists.
C
Cougarbib
If we get "no Sunday Play" and rights for non-conference or conference home games not picked up by Big XII Tier 1 or Tier 2 TV agreements, to provide access to our fans - how could you say no. If we get the delayed game rebroadcast rights for BYU TV for the Tier 1 and Tier 2 and Conf road games - gravy. Really nice gravy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
birdie702
I'd take the six years of stability with the Big 12 over 10 years as an Indy. If BYU doesn't jump on this opportunity, I'm burning all three of my BYU t-shirts. :D
S
scott715
Rumors are that BYU is dragging their feet on this. If the Big12 would publicly announce our invite. We would have to accept. If we didn't accept, public opinion would make us look like idiots.
B
BYULV
birdie702 wrote:
I'd take the six years of stability with the Big 12 over 10 years as an Indy. If BYU doesn't jump on this opportunity, I'm burning all three of my BYU t-shirts. :D


I've seen those shirts, and like an old, tattered flag they should have been burned long ago. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
BYULV wrote:
I'd take the six years of stability with the Big 12 over 10 years as an Indy. If BYU doesn't jump on this opportunity, I'm burning all three of my BYU t-shirts. :D


I've seen those shirts, and like an old, tattered flag they should have been burned long ago. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah... Seriously, we left the WAC a long time ago. Time to update your shirts. But please don't make a YouTube video about it



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
Rumors are that BYU is dragging their feet on this. If the Big12 would publicly announce our invite. We would have to accept. If we didn't accept, public opinion would make us look like idiots.

Conferences never announce before an acceptance has already informally been given. They might admit they are discussing or exploring, but even that is unusual other than possibly to say that the school has applied or shown interest. Nobody likes rejection. Only desperate teams and conferences seem to ignore this custom, to sway public opinion or bring pressure, and it usually backfires.



I am not sure if Big 10 or others ever stated outright and officially that they invited ND, but that might be an exception that has been made - and backfired.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
Doesn't the Big 12 need to have at least 10 members for their ESPN contract to stay valid. If A&M is gone they are down to 9 teams and will have to renegotiate with ESPN from what I've heard.



Go Cougars! ...to the Big 12 ;)



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
K
KYCoug
Just read the ESPN article, it does not take affect until next July so I guess the Big 12 has until then to make some changes.
R
redneckjedi
CougarClaw wrote:
birdie702 wrote:
I'd take the six years of stability with the Big 12 over 10 years as an Indy. If BYU doesn't jump on this opportunity, I'm burning all three of my BYU t-shirts. :D


I've seen those shirts, and like an old, tattered flag they should have been burned long ago. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah... Seriously, we left the WAC a long time ago. Time to update your shirts. But please don't make a YouTube video about it



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


My concern is that he only has three. I have at least 5 blue BYU shirts, 3 white ones, and a gray one. And none of them are old enough that my wife has threatened them with burning. ;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.