Archived Topic

Who should start at QB?

by hawkwing · 9/24/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
We've seen yet another game where Jake Heaps has been worse than mediocre, he's been downright bad this whole year. But is anyone any better?



Which QB should start against USU? Why?
D
Dcr36
hawkwing wrote:
We've seen yet another game where Jake Heaps has been worse than mediocre, he's been downright bad this whole year. But is anyone any better?



Which QB should start against USU? Why?


Dang it, I just started a similar thread. Sorry about that.



I'm in the frustrating position where I don't want to give up on Heaps yet, but I have a hard time believing that between Nelson, Lark, and Munns, we don't have AT LEAST 1 QB who would be better in game-time scenarios. I think Heaps should start (and expect he will), but I think he should be given a short leash and even if he plays well enough to get through the rest of the season as the starter, I think the QB position needs to be up for grabs come offeason.
B
BYULV
I've been behind Heaps from day one, but the guy is just not getting it done and not finding ways to be successful when the initial plans are not working. I see no harm in giving Lark a shot. Could he really be worse than what we have seen so far this year, I doubt it. I still don't see Riley as the solution, but again, doubt he could be worse. Heaps is still the guy I'd like to see long term, but sitting a game or two might give him a chance to work out whatever demons are keeping him down.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Alex Kuresa got my vote! But it was TIC. I'm fine with giving anyone a shot at this point. Guys are working too hard to not get a chance.
L
Lawboy
I am sure many of you were the same ones wanting to give up on BEck, too, right? Even good QBs take time to get it sometimes. Jake is not playing great, and it is clear, but not time to make a change yet. The USU game, like last year, will be the one which is the measuring stick. Blow that one, and I think the job opens up again.
Advertisement
C
cougman
We've seen most of those cats up there in game time situations. Never seen Munns. Dude is 6'5 and had at one point serious talent. How bout a look?
S
SpiffCoug
JIMMER!!!
C
cougman
Lawboy wrote:
I am sure many of you were the same ones wanting to give up on BEck, too, right? Even good QBs take time to get it sometimes. Jake is not playing great, and it is clear, but not time to make a change yet. The USU game, like last year, will be the one which is the measuring stick. Blow that one, and I think the job opens up again.




Not trying to be antagonizing or anything like that, but if Heaps comes out and plays great, are you cool with that? That being - play great against garbage teams and play like garbage against decent teams.



That's essentially what happened last year. Once we got done with the tougher portion of our schedule, Heaps played great. We all thought that would translate into this year, but it hasn't. It looks like he regressed, but in reality, he's probably just facing tougher teams and can't process like he can against New Mexico or whoever.
B
BroncoBot
Lawboy wrote:
I am sure many of you were the same ones wanting to give up on BEck, too, right? Even good QBs take time to get it sometimes. Jake is not playing great, and it is clear, but not time to make a change yet. The USU game, like last year, will be the one which is the measuring stick. Blow that one, and I think the job opens up again.

Nope. I was one of Beck's biggest supporters (and still am) I saw the potential he had and knew that he was playing on a team that had serious issues. I see the opposite with this team. Heaps has some issues and the entire team is trying to drag him along. Other parts (RBs, TEs,WRs, o-line) have struggled at times, but the common denominator seems to be Heaps. Remember that he took over a team that was playing very well in 2009 with Hall, and didn't have a new offensive coordinator. Nor did he have to deal with the ugly break up BYU went through with Crowton. He should have been able to take that offense and get them to perform at a level similar to Hall. I'm not saying he should have won every game that Hall would have won or that he had no challenges. I am saying he hasn't dealt with those challenges very well when they've come up.
B
BroncoBot
cougman wrote:
I am sure many of you were the same ones wanting to give up on BEck, too, right? Even good QBs take time to get it sometimes. Jake is not playing great, and it is clear, but not time to make a change yet. The USU game, like last year, will be the one which is the measuring stick. Blow that one, and I think the job opens up again.




Not trying to be antagonizing or anything like that, but if Heaps comes out and plays great, are you cool with that? That being - play great against garbage teams and play like garbage against decent teams.



That's essentially what happened last year. Once we got done with the tougher portion of our schedule, Heaps played great. We all thought that would translate into this year, but it hasn't. It looks like he regressed, but in reality, he's probably just facing tougher teams and can't process like he can against New Mexico or whoever.

Actually some of those garbage games turned into surprisingly close Ws, which doesn't help Heaps' case in my mind.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
The thing about Heaps is that so far, he is making pretty good reads. His issue is that he is not making the throws he needs to to go with the read. I still think it goes to the fact he is a true soph, and the game has still not totally slowed down for him, especially against fast teams. Which means he rushes things at times.



I know I compared him to Beck, and I think the comparison is fair to both.



Here is a post I read from someons else that really sums it up for me:



"In so many skills, athletics or otherwise, you have to cross that threshold where things seem to slow down and you finally "get it". Jake will get there and he has all the tools. I just think most of us assumed he'd gotten there by the bowl game last season.(me included--Lawboy).



Part of that has been the caliber of teams we've played this season vs. the teams we played the 2nd half of last season. 3 of those teams, especially, in UT, Ole Miss & UCF had a lot of speed and the game likely was played faster than those teams in that stretch last year. Utah was just a flukey collapse that happens sometimes (I mean, 7 T/O's?, 6 fumbles?).



I still remember Beck going thru similar growing pains. He only completed 50% of his passes his freshman year (5 tds, 5 ints) and only 56% his soph year (15 tds, 8 ints) but those percentages jumped to 64% his Jr year and 69% his senior year.



I still think Heaps will be a great one before his career is over. He's just proof of why Lavell used to mostly start juniors back in the day.



It takes QBs a while to develop, and starting out as freshmen like Beck and Jake did means you have to live with the growing pains."
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
I am sure many of you were the same ones wanting to give up on BEck, too, right? Even good QBs take time to get it sometimes. Jake is not playing great, and it is clear, but not time to make a change yet. The USU game, like last year, will be the one which is the measuring stick. Blow that one, and I think the job opens up again.


The fact that people I generally find reasonable want to use a BYU QB's performance against USU as a measuring stick tells me that the kid needs to go. Utah State is sitting on a pass efficiency defense ranking of #105 right now....opposing quarterbacks are averaging a PER of over 152 against the schmucks. But we're going to wait for that for a measuring stick? After we've faced the #3, #7, #25 and #46 ranked pass efficiency defenses, you are going to say "Hey, wait for a cupcake! That's BYU's measuring stick!" If expectations are that low, it's really telling.



It's even more troubling when people come on here and tell us "Heaps is making all the reads, he just isn't making the throws."



What was Heaps supposed advantage over every other QB on the roster? What was he graded #1 QB in his class by one ranking service for? He was accurate and could make all the throws. Now we're being told, everything is great!....He just needs to learn to make the throws. It doesn't add up.
G
Guest
I was one of the few that fought tooth and nail for Beck. I thought he had IT during the struggles, because I could see effort, and improvement.



I'm not seeing either with Heaps now, in fact its quite obvious that he's regressing.
C
Cougy_Monster
Put in Tanner Mangum
L
Lawboy
snoscythe wrote:



Utah State is sitting on a pass efficiency defense ranking of #105 right now....opposing quarterbacks are averaging a PER of over 152 against the schmucks.


That is my point. If he can't perform vs his first crappy pass D, he should get pulled. Absolutely. If he can not flip the switch now, at home, vs a bad pass D, he deserves to sit.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
I would like to see Lark.



Sadly, we'll see Heaps. But should things progress poorly, I hope Doman sits Heaps. I'd rather watch a new QB flounder and go home knowing that the poor performance was due to a new QB than watch the supposedly #1 High School QB, 5 Star recruit with the arm, the talent and the buckets of potential continue to be BYU's worst enemy.
C
cougman
Gunk wrote:
I would like to see Lark.



Sadly, we'll see Heaps. But should things progress poorly, I hope Doman sits Heaps. I'd rather watch a new QB flounder and go home knowing that the poor performance was due to a new QB than watch the supposedly #1 High School QB, 5 Star recruit with the arm, the talent and the buckets of potential continue to be BYU's worst enemy.


No chance that Doman is allowed to make that call. That's Bronco's call, and it seems like he's pretty much tied himself to Heaps.
B
BYUNLVFAN
BYU quarterback play right now is pretty bad. Could it get worse? Yes. Is it poor enough to get a look at another quarterback to see what he can do? Yes. I vote Lark
B
ByuIcoug
This is getting funny now. Heaps could throw for 300 yards and 3 touchdowns and you guys would still be calling for Lark. What do you think Lark is going to do with zero game experience? I am sorry you guys should move to Denver and yell for Tebow to get into the game. We are 2-2, heaps has not played lights out but with the 4 tough teams we have played and the O-line like a bunch babies what more do you want from the kid. Be patience he will turn into one of the greats.
G
Guest
ByuIcoug wrote:
This is getting funny now. Heaps could throw for 300 yards and 3 touchdowns and you guys would still be calling for Lark.


He could? I'd love to see it!



All I want from Heaps is an average performance, but he started out bad, got worse, and is now terrible.
Page 1 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.