Archived Topic

Back to the Basics

by byucougar1 · 9/24/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Nice quote noted from the SL Trib writer,



“We simplified the number of runs with fewer looks and easier assignments,” BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said. “We sacrificed a lot of the deception or possible disguise.”



"In other words, with quarterback Jake Heaps in the midst of an inconsistent game, the Cougars decided to play smashmouth football in the second half."



This is the same approach we took last year until Jake was able to get comfortable in the pocket and make timely, high percentage completions. I can live with this if it means we always position ourselves to win more games due to lack of turnovers and scoring inside the red zone. We don't need to be sexy just simple and efficient.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Interesting. I personally think BYU needs to implement more deception into the run game. We're not good enough to just line up and pound it. That has not worked this season and never really has because we don't have physical OL-men. Look at JJ's TD...a little fake toss the other way. I love that stuff. That has Boise written all over it, and it worked! This team needs misdirection desperately because I-form and play-action is not happening.
N
NCPUMA
smashmouth football will work great against Wyoming and Idaho.. but we'll look stupid against anyone decent at this point.
V
vancouvercougar
mizzoucoug wrote:
Interesting. I personally think BYU needs to implement more deception into the run game. We're not good enough to just line up and pound it. That has not worked this season and never really has because we don't have physical OL-men. Look at JJ's TD...a little fake toss the other way. I love that stuff. That has Boise written all over it, and it worked! This team needs misdirection desperately because I-form and play-action is not happening.


Lining up and pounding it worked for this game. I think the deception stuff will come once they get the basic stuff firgured out.
F
frdbtr
byucougar1 wrote:
Nice quote noted from the SL Trib writer,



“We simplified the number of runs with fewer looks and easier assignments,” BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said. “We sacrificed a lot of the deception or possible disguise.”



"In other words, with quarterback Jake Heaps in the midst of an inconsistent game, the Cougars decided to play smashmouth football in the second half."



This is the same approach we took last year until Jake was able to get comfortable in the pocket and make timely, high percentage completions. I can live with this if it means we always position ourselves to win more games due to lack of turnovers and scoring inside the red zone. We don't need to be sexy just simple and efficient.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




No, he said nothing about the pass game. He said that they simplified the RUNNING game to have less deception and just ran right at them. It is what I have been saying all along. Doman has not been coaching the offense in a way that has the players prepared enough to just run the plays without thinking about what they are supposed to do to execute properly. If the running game had to be simplified to be executed correctly, then I would think that the passing game is also causing the players issues. That is why I have not been coming down on Heaps this year. I still think that the problems we are having in our offense is coaching.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.