Archived Topic

Some disturbing comments

by stuckinbig10country · 9/23/2011

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
from none other than Pres. Samuelson. It was reported on cougarboard.com, and has been confirmed by at least one other source at the meeting.



Basically said don't hold your breath on a BCS conference invite. Some nonsense about the expense of being in a BCS conference.



So let me break this week down for everyone...



Get blown out by our rival.

Almost see the end of any opportunity for future relevance in college sports due to probable super conferences.

Get a reprieve and seen as the likely replacement in the conference that on the field is the 2nd best conference in the country.

Get told that the President and owner's of the university don't care what the fans want.



IF BYU REJECTS AN OFFER FROM THE BIG 12, BYU SPORTS WILL NOT BE RELEVANT AND POSSIBLY NON-EXISTENT VERY SOON!!!!!!!
U
Ungoy
If this is in fact true, it sounds like a deliberate attempt to put BYU sports into the tank, so as to eventually dissolve them permanently.
D
Ddawg
I do not buy it. I think they are lowering expectations if the DO NOT get an invite, The Big 12 is looking at a lot of teams. If BYU had beaten the Yewts - I think the Cougs would have been @ the top of the list. That humiliating loss did HUGE damage to BYU's chances of getting into the big 12. IMHO - it may have ended any hope of an offer.
B
BYUROCKS
Ugh, if we get left out again...
C
CannonCougar85
stuckinbig10country wrote:
from none other than Pres. Samuelson. It was reported on cougarboard.com, and has been confirmed by at least one other source at the meeting.



Basically said don't hold your breath on a BCS conference invite. Some nonsense about the expense of being in a BCS conference.


The original poster of Samuelson's comments said those things, but other posters who were at the same meeting said that this was an overly pessimistic view of his comments. This gist of his comments were this:

1. No invite has been extended.

2. BYU feels they are in a sweet position now.

3. BYU doesn't need the money.



Plus too there is no guarantee that Samuelson had even heard about the new developments happening tonight in the Big 12 when he made these comments.



-Cougar Nation needs to take a deep breath and see how this all plays out. We are in good hands, stop freaking out.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Word this morning I am being told is that Pres. Samuelson feels misquoted, or at least misinterpreted. And is not happy about it. FYI.
1
1967cougar
Ddawg wrote:
I do not buy it. I think they are lowering expectations if the DO NOT get an invite, The Big 12 is looking at a lot of teams. If BYU had beaten the Yewts - I think the Cougs would have been @ the top of the list. That humiliating loss did HUGE damage to BYU's chances of getting into the big 12. IMHO - it may have ended any hope of an offer.

I don't think the Puke game's outcome has any bearing on conference affiliation possibilities. They look at the multi-year performances of many sports, as well as the academics, potential fan base, etc. I don't believe the results on one paltry game will have any effect whatsoever.
C
CannonCougar85
Another fact about this meeting is that it started at 5pm and ended at around 6:40. All of the Big 12 press conferences happened between 5:30 and 6:30. There is no way that Samuelson was fully updated on the situation when he supposedly made those comments.
Y
Y12
1967cougar wrote:
I do not buy it. I think they are lowering expectations if the DO NOT get an invite, The Big 12 is looking at a lot of teams. If BYU had beaten the Yewts - I think the Cougs would have been @ the top of the list. That humiliating loss did HUGE damage to BYU's chances of getting into the big 12. IMHO - it may have ended any hope of an offer.

I don't think the Puke game's outcome has any bearing on conference affiliation possibilities. They look at the multi-year performances of many sports, as well as the academics, potential fan base, etc. I don't believe the results on one paltry game will have any effect whatsoever.


BINGO! If we learned anything last year, one bad game, or even a bad decade, will do little to hurt a team with future conference alignment. Just look at TAM, they have been sub-par for much of the last several years, but the SEC is willing to take them.
C
Cougs_Rule
Some cougar fans need to find a big rock and sit on it. get yourself grounded!

the loss to the utes will have no bearing. We almost beat one of their best teams at their house. Get some perspective. Now there may be other reasons tat we dont get in and somehow we will be just fine. College football is a mess right now anyway.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Lawboy wrote:
Word this morning I am being told is that Pres. Samuelson feels misquoted, or at least misinterpreted. And is not happy about it. FYI.

pharisees and sadducees hard at work again.
L
Lawboy
declocoug wrote:
Word this morning I am being told is that Pres. Samuelson feels misquoted, or at least misinterpreted. And is not happy about it. FYI.

pharisees and sadducees hard at work again.


From what I have heard, Pres. Samuelson perhaps conveyed things in a way where he did not mean to, but said it all the same. Something about people getting blue in the face over a Big XII invite--one that has never come. From here accounts vary, but something about BYU not wanting to be part of CFB arms race, and Samuelson not sounding like Big XII was what is needed or wanted. Again, from there, interpretations took over, so could have been wrong.



I do not know what to think though. Find it curious that BYU, which has been so careful with this sort of thing, would have someone make such a statement that could be interpreted one way of the other. Best to deflect, or not comment at all.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.