Archived Topic

How would you react?

by stuckinbig10country · 9/23/2011

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Get yourself on record. I'd be bleeping pissed.
U
Ungoy
If BYU had the invite and turned it down, I'd be bleeping upset. There would have to be a d@mn good explaination for that.
D
DarthMagnus
For what it is worth, here are my thoughts. Just pasted them from another thread.



From what I have been able to gather from amigos in the AD, the main reason BYU jumped to independence so quickly after the PAC expanded was because many people thought it was the beginning of CFB Armageddon. BYU had been preparing for quite a while to go indie in the case that CFB Armageddon started and BYU didn't have an immediate home in one of the power conferences. Being indie would enable BYU to be very aggressive and flexible in pursuing a better conference while at the same time being an easy snag for a power conference that was looking for additions.



BYU did not make the move just so they could get a short term upgrade later. They went independent with the express intent of getting into a long term power conference. If the Big 12 can't make an extremely persuasive case that it will be one of the power conferences, BYU isn't going to want to jump in, despite the fact that for the immediate future it would be a big step up from the MWC.
D
DarthMagnus
But, strategy may have changed. It can change on a whim, even at BYU.



I personally think we should jump at the chance. There is something to be said for the flexibility and marketability of being independent. Especially given Texas' and Oklahoma's long term instability in the Big 12. If those two leave and certain teams follow, the conference is dead.



But BYU I think this is BYU's best chance to get in bed with Texas and Oklahoma. Hopefully we can tie our wagon to theirs. I don't see too many other opportunities coming down the line.



And as an added bonus, imagine the basketball schedule (I sure as heck hope it isn't a football only deal). Texas, Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Oklahoma State etc. at the Marriot Center every year. HOLY CRAP YES!
S
stuckinbig10country
I've never understood why the Big 12 has been unstable. The conference on the field has really only been 2nd to the SEC in terms of results.



If it wasn't for the last couple of off-seasons, the Big 12 would be considered the 2nd best BCS league, and probably still should be as far as results.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I'd be upset because it didn't work out not because I thought BYU made a mistake.
B
ByuIcoug
If we do not go to the big12 I would be really upset. It would make no sense not to. Why would we want to stay in the WCC? Last time I checked coached Rose was upset when we went to the WCC because it was a step down from the MWC. We talk about exposure, what more exposure would you want playing OU and Texas every year and maybe a big 12 championship game. We have seen how it works playing 4 tough games at the start of the year. Seems like the cougars are afraid the Rise Up and play with the big boys.
B
BYUROCKS
Ungoy wrote:
If BYU had the invite and turned it down, I'd be bleeping upset. There would have to be a d@mn good explaination for that.




Ditto, if we turn it down, I would be MEGA MAD, more so because the LDS leadership, have give the BYU leadership permission to do it, if they see fit.
M
Mingjai
I'd definitely be very angry if BYU turned down a Big XII invite. This may be the year when BYU finds out how hard it is to draw fans out to watch a 6-3 BYU play teams like Idaho and NM State in November. String a few years like that together and BYU's home attendance will be down to 50,000 a game with lower season ticket renewal rates.



On the other hand, mid-November conference games against Missouri and Ok State would be big draws.
B
blue42
I would be disappointed if they don't accpet an invite unless it is because the Big 12 wouldn't budge on the no Sunday play rule or stipulates BYU needs to do something that is contrary to LDS beliefs. If that is the case I would fully support the decission not to accept any invite. I really think that is one of the reasons the higher ups really like the WCC.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Only legit reason I see for BYU to turn down the offer is Sunday play. That is it.
W
Wickchad
If they turn down an offer that guarantees no Sunday play and gave BYU an equal standing in the conference as the other members I would be pissed. I would put up with the crappy home games for a couple of years while we wait to see what happens. If the Big 12 falls apart in the next 3 years all will be forgiven. If the Big 12 stays together and becomes a superconference without an invite to BYU, I don't know that I could continue to stay interested in watching them play. If your best game of the season is a game with Utah and rest of your schedule is full of WAC, C-USA, FCS teams that would suck. I'd probably just start watching the NFL.
B
birdie702
I'd take out my frustration on my Ute neighbor...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYUNLVFAN
I'm a fan of the BYU that plays Division I football.... not the team that would be Division II if that occured. I'd have to find a new team
S
SpiffCoug
BYUNLVFAN wrote:
I'm a fan of the BYU that plays Division I football.... not the team that would be Division II if that occured. I'd have to find a new team

I'm a BYU fan. I don't care if they're playing NJCAA or 5A High School ball. I'll still go to the games and cheer for the Cougars of BYU.
Advertisement
B
BYUNLVFAN
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm a fan of the BYU that plays Division I football.... not the team that would be Division II if that occured. I'd have to find a new team

I'm a BYU fan. I don't care if they're playing NJCAA or 5A High School ball. I'll still go to the games and cheer for the Cougars of BYU.


That's good because that's what it will feel like if BYU is left on the outside of realignment
I
IowaCougar
I have to put myself in the "wonder why" category. I'm sure if they turned it down, there would be some very good reasons, and those would come out eventually. I don't think it would do any good to go off half-cocked.



That being said - I'd still be disappointed.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.