Archived Topic

Sheide to be enshrined

by bigbluepuma · 9/22/2011

Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
One of the biggest wrongs in BYU history is being corrected (in part) this weekend, when this great BYU quarterback is inducted into the BYU sports hall of fame. He started it all. He was an amazing QB. He won the conf. championship when the AZ schools were in the WAC, without the big linemen the team began to get a decade later, and without a lot of other talent around him. He has, through the years, been overlooked in almost every mention of great BYU QBs. It has always made me really mad to see how he has been snubbed. I am thrilled to at least see the school officially correct the snub of the century. Now if only all the pundits will follow suit and begin to remember this great man and football pioneer. Congrats, Gary. No one deserves it more than you!
M
mtnradio
Well earned indeed!!!



Congratulations to Gary!
V
vancouvercougar
Gary finished one year before I started at BYU. Everyone talked about Sheide back then. Glad to see him receive this well deserved honor.
S
snoscythe
He's BYU's equivalent of John Hanson.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Very happy to hear this.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
Good for Gary! Who's John Hanson?
S
snoscythe
Florwood wrote:
Who's John Hanson?


Thanks for making my point. He was the first president of the United States.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Y
Y12
How Sheide fell through the cracks baffles me. Anyone who thinks LaVell would have still been around at BYU for Gifford Nielsen to rise to greatness w/o Sheide is crazy.
B
birdie702
Read a nice article on the DN about Sheide. It's a shame this didn't happen many moons ago. Whoever dropped the ball (not our RBs) owes Sheide an apology.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
P
profgeek
Ditto everything above. I had graduated from BYU before he came (or Lavell became head coach), but lived in Arizona and, of course, followed BYU sports. When Sheide was a senior, BYU came to the Fiesta Bowl (in it's first or second year ... can't remember for sure). I can't remember who we were playing (I think it was Oklahoma State), but I was at the game and we were winning until Sheide was injured and was out for the game. It became apparent to me at that point, for the first time, of the relevance of a single QB in Lavell's system. Gifford Nielsen followed him, them McMahan, Wilson, et. al. He was the first of a long line and it's about time he was recognized as such. Great player.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
snoscythe wrote:
Who's John Hanson?


Thanks for making my point. He was the first president of the United States.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


From the wikipedia link, it sounds like that is debatable. He was the first President of the Congress, but there was no executive branch under the Articles of Confederation. So really, he would be more akin to the President of the Senate (the VP) or the Speaker of the House. I'm not sure how you become the first of an office that doesn't yet exist--President of the United States, so I would tend to be a little more traditional and go with George Washington as the first President, the only one ever unanimously voted into office (receiving all 69 electoral votes).
I
IowaCougar
It was my freshman year - the fans were fickle, and it was hard some games to get enough students gathered to fill the "card stunt" section. Gary Sheide and Jay Miller set the NCAA record for receptions by a receiver in a single game (I think it was 22). It really did bring in a new era for BYU, and started the football factory.
Y
Y12
I don't know if vanity is the correct word, but this is telling about BYU and the equality former players are given.



Had Sheide not gotten injured against Oklahoma State, he would have been a very, very high draft pick and had a solid to good, or maybe even great NFL career. If that was the case, no way does he get relgated to oblivion like he has.



Virgil Carter, on the other hand, has risen in fame and noteriety the last few years, and I think his NFL career has a lot to do with it. Carter's stats and accomplishments pale in comparison to Sheide.
D
Ddawg
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Gary Sheide is a giant BYU QB. Gary & Lavell laid the foundation that BYU Football is built on. About time!!!



Anybody have any idea what Gary Sheide is doing of where he settled? I've wondered over the years what happened to him.
B
bigbluepuma
Ddawg wrote:
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Gary Sheide is a giant BYU QB. Gary & Lavell laid the foundation that BYU Football is built on. About time!!!



Anybody have any idea what Gary Sheide is doing of where he settled? I've wondered over the years what happened to him.


He's coaching football in Highland, UT.
Advertisement
S
superchargedcougar
Really glad this is happening. I wasn't even close to being alive when he played, but I have heard of him and his accomplishments and I'm glad that BYU finally wised up and gave him the credit he deserves
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.