Archived Topic

How Long is Heaps Leash?

by SpiffCoug · 9/19/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
If Heaps and the offense continue to perform at their current level, how long until a change?
C
Cougs_Rule
Longer than you want.

depends on the number of other team members mistakes. If there are turnovers associated with other players the leash will be longer.
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, the leash probably is some contingent. If Heaps plays like he did in the first half, but guys are fumbling the ball like it's going out of style, there's not he can do about that. If penalties are ending/killing drives that's another factor.
S
stuckinbig10country
I think the QB will probably not be replaced, unfortunately.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
I hate to say this, but Heaps will actually be booed on Friday night and the coaches will be making a change after halftime. I know we all hold out hope that "next game he'll turn the corner" but if he can't do that against UCF (the weakest D we've seen so far) then he's out. It could get ugly in Provo this week...
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I was actually somewhat surprised there weren't any boos last night. I think I heard a few towards the very end, but hardly any at all. Maybe the fans were too shocked to boo?
S
Schmoe
We have too many problems beyond the QB on offense, so the leash will still be longer than it should be. Our O-line needs to figure out how to play as a unit, cover all the gaps, etc. Our O-coordinator needs to have faith in his most dependable running back and use our three-headed monster like last year, etc. The only unit that I'm happy with on O is receivers, both tight ends and WR's have done well, despite what those defending Heaps will claim. Those who say that the whole team is playing poorly are lying and looking for a way to shift blame from Doman and Heaps.
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
I hate to say this, but Heaps will actually be booed on Friday night and the coaches will be making a change after halftime. I know we all hold out hope that "next game he'll turn the corner" but if he can't do that against UCF (the weakest D we've seen so far) then he's out. It could get ugly in Provo this week...

How do you figure UCF is the worst D? Their D is allowing less than 1 TD a game over 3 games.
M
mizzoucoug
Just a guess considering who they have played so far and the likely level of talent they are able to get based on being a smaller, less-known team.
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
Just a guess considering who they have played so far and the likely level of talent they are able to get based on being a smaller, less-known team.

They'll be hungry to prove last week was an anomaly. And if you haven't noticed, BYU's offense haven't played at a high school level. :angry:



I was asking sincerely. I don't know UCF in and out, just assuming that they'll be good.
Advertisement
B
BYUBALLIN
i think its crap that anyone wants to booo him...he is playing college ball not making millions in the nfl..second he is a soph a soph give him time to grow...we are a young team and will take are lumps...Heaps gives us the best chance to win, riley is not the answer...keep playing Heaps..
G
Gunk
Good question. I think it does depend a bit on the circumstances, but if Heaps comes out and performs how he's done in the last 3 games I'm guessing we'll see a substitution in the 3rd quarter.



So far, Heaps plays a somewhat decent first half. The opponent makes some adjustments. We make none (coaching) and Heaps ends up panicking when he sees something new from the defense, becoming useless. If that happens, I expect and hope for a substitution.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.