Archived Topic

Someone has to say it. (Bad Coaching)

by Brayden Green · 9/18/2011

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Our coaching isn't very good.



Bronco was awesome in the post-game interview, and I really like the guy. He owned up to just about everything, including the lady in the 3rd row spilling her drink.



I just don't know that we are very well coached. We lose to good/great teams, always.



I mean, it is a lot of little things. Not having a snapper, not having a return game, not having a run game, a LOT of stupid penalties, guys blowing coverages and tackles left and right.



I would like to see some responsibility from/for the players. You have people making terrible mental mistakes and not seeing any fire from the coaches, or anyone up in anyone's face.



"It's okay, try not to do it again."



Ho-Hum. Ho-Hum.
G
Gunk
Kind of agree with you here.



There's a lot of patting on the back, it's-alright, better-luck-next-time with these coaches. Don't worry, football is the 5th most important thing.



First year of independence and we're laying an egg.
D
Ddawg
I'm tired of slogans. We can all feel warm & fuzzy - it does not win football games. Discipline, basics, controlled aggression, focus, heart, 2nd effort, determination, smash mouth violence, execution. That's how we win - then we feel good.



Someone needs to slap jake upside his head - toughen him up - tell him the self dillusional hype is over - done. Time to grow a pair, grow some heart, get mentally tough & play football.
B
Brayden Green
we need accountability from our players. If I were a coach, I would tell my offense that all of their jobs are up for grabs. And I would look extra hard at the Oline and running backs to make sure they got the point.
G
Gucci33
Every one from Bronco on down should have their jobs on the line last night was pathetic and it starts at the top!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
P
profgeek
There seemed to be a complete lack of intensity and accountability. Then they totally gave up with a quarter left. We are averaging 1 TD per game so far. Once we hit the soft part of the schedule, we'll start scoring, but nobody will be paying any attention by then (except ESPN, wondering what kind of lame reasoning locked them into this contract). Yes, it starts at the top. The game isn't a mission zone conference, but that's what it sort of looks like is happening. "Atta boy, it's OK, and you'll get it together sometime down the road" is nice, fatherly, and a great "teaching moment." But, hey, the teaching should have been done by now. It's performance time, not dress rehearsal.
N
nuk13
I've thought about this for a while. The MWC is starting to look good. We played into shape and finished strong. We're now splattered all over the field with bewildered looks. I'd rather win whether we see it on tv or not.
S
Schmoe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
we need accountability from our players. If I were a coach, I would tell my offense that all of their jobs are up for grabs. And I would look extra hard at the Oline and running backs to make sure they got the point.


This. Our offense is losing us games, the defense can't be on the field the whole game, they get worn down and eventually the other team is able to run roughshod over them. We NEED our offense to become a consistent machine that moves the ball methodically down the field and puts it in the endzone, or at least hang on to it for more than three downs.
B
Brayden Green
I heard a stat that we are the 9th worst scoring team on opening day in all of college football. The 9th worst! In ALL of football!!!



We start 1-2 EVERY. DAMNED. SEASON.



We are something like .250 against BCS conference teams in the last decade, and something like .400 against teams in the top 25.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I heard a stat that we are the 9th worst scoring team on opening day in all of college football. The 9th worst! In ALL of football!!!



We start 1-2 EVERY. DAMNED. SEASON.



We are something like .250 against BCS conference teams in the last decade, and something like .400 against teams in the top 25.

Delete the Crowton years and Bronco's numbers will come up a bit. Then compare them to Lavell vs same conferences. I don't think you will find much difference. But don't include Crowton in Lavell's or Bronco's.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Bronco MUST get involved with the offense. He needs to instill some discipline and accountability for that half of his team. He HAS yet to engage the offense as the head coach of this football team. He has let the offense be completely AUTONOMOUS of his influence and that must be rectified.



The two sides of the ball do NOT give the same effort, do NOT play with the same passion and do NOT care about winning and losing to the same level. The offense shrugs off turnovers like it ain't no thang. They think they're actually real close to being ok offensively.



There is no accountability on that side of the ball. The same issues that plagued us last year and led to Anae's dismissal are still prevelant. Until Bronco engages HIS offense, they will continue to flounder.
B
Brayden Green
Ditto Spiff. Well said. This year's offense = last years defense pre-Jamie Hill firing.
B
Brayden Green
Per Gre Wrubell tweets:

gregwrubell Slow starters: this is the fifth time in seven seasons under Bronco Mendenhall that BYU is 1-2 through its first three games.


Only once in seven seasons has BYU opened 3-0 through 3 games: 2008, when BYU started 6-0 before losing at TCU--first game of a 4-3 finish.


BYU's cumulative record in the season's first three games under Bronco is 10-11; BYU's cumulative record in all remaining games is 47-12.
G
Guest
The coaching in this game was the worst coaching of a football team I have ever seen. Ever.
S
SpiffCoug
The last time I saw BYU quit like this was in 2003 when Boise curb stomped us 50-12. At least then it was snowing and Todd Mortensen and Jackson Browne were finishing the game for us.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.