Archived Topic

The Honeymooners - Coaches

by Cougarbib · 9/15/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Ok - for which BYU Coach is the Honeymoon most over. I have listed the various coaching Honeymooners below. Vote once.



Mendenhall picked Hill and Anae and Higgins, endorsed them, and then ran them out of town. Rumor was that he was forced to take them and they were not his choice in the first place. So we cut him some slack and let him hire the new guys - not worrying a bit that they lacked experience. These are his guys. He did turn that D around though. He is definitely a very good defensive coach. Is he the Head Coach to take us to the elite level? Can he pick and develop Assistant coaches - especially coordinators.



Doman. Best QB coach in the country we said last year. He has a solid track record. Players, fans, and peers like him a bunch. Local hero. But can he really call the plays any better than Robert Anae. Is he the OC to take us to the elite level?



Cahoon. Well the drops were absent vs Ole Miss and pretty low Vs Texas. But Receivers can't seem to get open. Old Man Reynolds is getting more out of the tight ends in terms of improvement than Cahoon seems to be getting out of the wide receivers. Maybe playing and coaching are two different things.



Dupaix. Well - we got the same running backs. They were supposed to be better with the added experience. Seen any improvement? Did things go backwards? Did Old Man Reynolds actually do a better job last year with these same backs?



I left off Reynolds. Enough people called him old and washed up last year to make it clear the honeymoon ended for him long ago. And Weber – most fans were disappointed that he did not get run out of town last year and at least one fan has called for that again this year on this site. So no honeymoons here. Defensive coaches are not contenders. They are dong too good of a job and there were really no honeymooners on this side of the ball other than Mendenhall himself - and he is rock solid as DC - and K Popps who seems to be doing just fine.
C
Cougarbib
Both this poll and the Players 2 poll have been enabled for revoting should you choose to do so. So vote early and vote often - you can change your mind anytime - like Saturday night for example, should you choose to do so.



Explain your picks. I picked Bronco because his last set of coaches were run out of town and his new guys need to deliver.



I am actually on board with all four of them - but if the newbies don't deliver in a reasonable period of time, it is on Mendenhall for being way too optimistic about learning curves.
G
Guest
I'm not sure you understand what 'running out of town' means. I don't think any of the coaches were run out of town, but rather given a great opportunity to find other employment, which they did.



The thing is you can't just throw around terms which mean something other than what happened without intentionally or unintentionally skewing the results to the question you're asking.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
I'm not sure you understand what 'running out of town' means. I don't think any of the coaches were run out of town, but rather given a great opportunity to find other employment, which they did.



The thing is you can't just throw around terms which mean something other than what happened without intentionally or unintentionally skewing the results to the question you're asking.

Maybe I don't and I admit that I used the phrase loosely. Here is what it meant to me. Hill was fired summarily, without notice, mid season, not too long after Bronco promoted him to DC and very soon after the last time Bronco publicly praised him. Fans also ram him out of town. Maybe even players. Eggs incident and fan upheaval. I think he left town. Admittedly Anae was handled with much more subtlety and perhaps compassion. So he gracefully found a lower level job but at a BCS school and left town. Higgins landed squarely on his feet at Purdue after similarly compassionate treatment as Anae. I not focusing on how they were treated, however, because business is business. My main point lost in all of this is that neither of his coordinators met fan expectations and the vast majority of fans were glad to see them go. Bronco has now hired his own OC and offensive staff and they are not yet meeting fan expectations. Fans are not calling for any firings yet, but they are generally starting to move from blue-goggled honeymoon next level assumptions to expecting them to show it.



I think the sooner all of the honeymoons end, the better. People become accountable. If the pendulum swings all the way over to lynch mob hysteria like I thought it did last season - that is not good. Most realities are in the middle - not at the extremes.



We beat Utah and fan sentiment will rise with that tide. We lose - worse backlash than this week.



Geez - it is rivalry week and the lights are on but nobody is home.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Well technically, yeah, it's Bronco. But he has clearly earned the benefit of the doubt whereas Doman is beginning to walk to line. Of course it's too early to really judge, but there was too much coach-derived hype about this team to all of a sudden make excuses and expect us to ratchet down our expectations.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Not even sure why I am playing this game because I don't think that the honeymoon should be over for any of the new coaches 2 games in and Bronco's honeymoon has been over for a while but has done so well that he has earned the right to not be right 100% of the time because we know he will get it right more times then not. Lets exercise some patience here. I will admit that if BYU loses to utah this weekend and the offense looks bad again, that for most fans Doman's honeymoon will be 100% over but I am willing to let him grow up a bit here even though a loss to the utes would really sting.
Y
Y12
My vote is Cahoon. I thought the receivers would be getting open 1000000% better than they have been.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
Not even sure why I am playing this game because I don't think that the honeymoon should be over for any of the new coaches 2 games in and Bronco's honeymoon has been over for a while but has done so well that he has earned the right to not be right 100% of the time because we know he will get it right more times then not. Lets exercise some patience here. I will admit that if BYU loses to utah this weekend and the offense looks bad again, that for most fans Doman's honeymoon will be 100% over but I am willing to let him grow up a bit here even though a loss to the utes would really sting.

I am not suggesting that fans are calling for any firings. Honeymooners is a term I am using in two threads to focus on coaches or players that the vast majority of fans seemed to just assume would take us to the next level. For example, you would have taken a ton of heat in this forum or other boards for even suggesting that Doman or Cahoon might struggle early due to learning curves. If you suggested Doman lacked experience, someone claimed Doman had been much more involved in the offensive game planning and was actually calling the plays late in the season. So Honeymoon over does not mean let's fire them. It means maybe it is OK to provide constructive criticism now rather than just assume Doman is better than Chow or Sark ever were as OC or that Jake Heaps = Jim McMahon and will win the Heisman and lead us to a NC and skip his senior year for the NFL. Fans are now expecting them to back it up on the field vs quality defenses. That is healthy. Lynch mob would not be.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
It is purely coincidental that the graphic has bgun to take on the appearance of a raised middle finger. That is usually reserved for the Ute fans.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
I voted for Bronco simply because his honeymoon has long been over. And the marriage is a good one.
Advertisement
Y
Y4LYFE
Running backs are worse so I guess Dupaix
B
BroncoBot
Y4LYFE wrote:
Running backs are worse so I guess Dupaix

Does Dupaix coach the oline? If he does, then you are absolutely correct. But the way that line was not blocked, can't expect the RBs to do everything.
C
Cougarbib
declocoug wrote:
Running backs are worse so I guess Dupaix

Does Dupaix coach the oline? If he does, then you are absolutely correct. But the way that line was not blocked, can't expect the RBs to do everything.

The honeymoon for Weber was clearly over last year if not sooner. He was no sacred cow going into this season. That is why he wasn't on the honeymoon list. I have already seen at least 1 fire Weber post on CC this year. For him the honeymoon is long over and the marriage is on shaky ground. For the honeymoon guys, the marriage is still ok - even healthier because there is balance in the relationship now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
I stuck with my original vote. Wow - I didn't expect anything like we saw tonight. I must credit Bronco re accountability. I suspect a bye week would come in handy about now. Maybe Bronco can recapture his own Heart and Soul and pass it on to the team. The DL, and I do sympathize withthem due to time the O leaves them on the field, has endurance issues. Perhaps they got too many days off from practive as did the offense.



The D knocks the crap out of teams with bodies lying everywhere and then is tired in the 2nd half anbd can no longer stop the run.
M
Mars


Dupaix seems like a great recruiter.



Doman seems like a great... QB Coach. Do we have to wait one entire season before demoting him?



We need a half-decent OC. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
At a minimum, Doman needs to move up in the box. The in-game coaching is clearly distracting him. The game is too emotional down on the field for him right now. He needs some emotional and physical distance.
V
vancouvercougar
I think we could use a QB coach (other than Doman) so Doman could concentrate on the entire offense.



Pretty short honeymoon.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


Dupaix seems like a great recruiter.



Doman seems like a great... QB Coach. Do we have to wait one entire season before demoting him?



We need a half-decent OC. Any suggestions?

Isn't Bosco around somewhere?
C
Cougarbib
declocoug wrote:


Dupaix seems like a great recruiter.



Doman seems like a great... QB Coach. Do we have to wait one entire season before demoting him?



We need a half-decent OC. Any suggestions?

Isn't Bosco around somewhere?

He is around but not a coach. We have the max number of allowed coaches right now. Can't add without subtracting one. Reynolds is an option, but Doman should give it a shot from upstairs first.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.