Archived Topic

Another thing no one is mentioning

by Brayden Green · 9/12/2011

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
What is up with the qb/snap exchange?



Last week it was bad snaps... Now the snaps are looking good, when the center decides to actually snap the ball.



In the game, I saw maybe 6 or 7 times that Heaps was clapping for the ball, and it wasn't getting snapped. There were a few that went right down to 0, but the one that killed us was the delay of game right at our end zone in the 4th quarter. (it was funny to watch people yell "C'mon Jake!" in the chat when this happened.)



I'm not sure how any of this escaped fall and/or spring camp...
C
CAFB_04-12
I saw only one time when Heaps was clapping for the ball. He started clapping at one second on the play clock, and BYU took a delay for that because Brown didn't know the time on the clock. The center is looking at blocking assignments when they get to the line. The problem is that they get to the line with less than 10 seconds to go sometimes.
B
Brayden Green
true. I saw it happen 4 or 5 times, and they should have called DoG probably a couple more times...
S
SpiffCoug
Man, for the snaps being just a minor issue contributing to poor play, you seem to be spending an awful lot of energy drawing attention to them.



How about we just don't allow for excuses?
T
trueblue72
The issue here, is they're not getting out of the huddle soon enough. But it seems like when they get out with more than 10 sec left on the clock brown takes all the remaining time to make his calls. I have never seen a center that takes so long to make blocking assignments. We just need to pick up the offensive pace and this will become a non issue.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
Man, for the snaps being just a minor issue contributing to poor play, you seem to be spending an awful lot of energy drawing attention to them.



How about we just don't allow for excuses?


Just pointing out where/why things aren't clicking. And when I don't know why, I ask (like now). Not really making excuses for anything, I think.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm sorry but if the snaps are in anyway contributing to Heaps' and offenses' atrocious play, then they are mentally weak and will never develop into what we all hoped and thought they would be.
B
Brayden Green
Not really the snaps, the snaps were fine, if not a little late this week.



Just wondering why something so basic doesn't look to be clicking like usual. I think that true blue is right, that they aren't getting out of the huddle soon enough, and partly because Brown isn't making reads fast enough.



If that is the case, we need the playcalls to get in there a little faster, to give the guys time to make their reads.
S
SpiffCoug
That I can agree with. Doman's learning curve has surprised me by its steepness.
B
BYULV
I'm still puzzled by the decision to go with the huddle in the first place this year. The no huddle offense was o e of the bright spots last year and in past years has been problematic for defenses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BYULV wrote:
I'm still puzzled by the decision to go with the huddle in the first place this year. The no huddle offense was o e of the bright spots last year and in past years has been problematic for defenses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I really miss it too...
C
Cougarfan87
I agree about missing the no-huddle offense. It helps your team establish a rhythm and keeps the defense on their heels. The huddle slows everything down and makes for a much more start and stop type offense--which is hard on both engines and fans. :D
S
SpiffCoug
Whatever they do, it's clear the rhythm and tempo of the offense needs fixing.
L
Lawboy
Did you ever think to consider that the stadium would be really loud, and that the clapping was part of the cadence? I have seen it used to initiate a timing sequence many times in domed stadiums. And with 100k fans cheering, it gets loud. The clapping was to initiate the snap, not because it was late.
B
Brayden Green
Lawboy wrote:
Did you ever think to consider that the stadium would be really loud, and that the clapping was part of the cadence? I have seen it used to initiate a timing sequence many times in domed stadiums. And with 100k fans cheering, it gets loud. The clapping was to initiate the snap, not because it was late.


Nope. The Leg hitch (and/or hands flipped forward) is always the snap indicator for BYU in the shotgun.



The claps came seconds after the leg hitch, when the clock was literally at 2,1, and 0.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Did you ever think to consider that the stadium would be really loud, and that the clapping was part of the cadence? I have seen it used to initiate a timing sequence many times in domed stadiums. And with 100k fans cheering, it gets loud. The clapping was to initiate the snap, not because it was late.


Nope. The Leg hitch (and/or hands flipped forward) is always the snap indicator for BYU in the shotgun.



The claps came seconds after the leg hitch, when the clock was literally at 2,1, and 0.

Yep, because the snap indicator can't be changed. And Texas had what two or three offsides/unabated to the QB calls that there's no way BYU was changing up the snap count and/or using different indicators.
R
redneckjedi
One issue with Brown making the calls is that Texas was doing a ton of shifting in its alignment throughout the play second clock in the second half. I don't know if you can just call for a zone block or what to mitigate that, but it's tough to get blocking assignments made when guys just keep moving around.
S
SpiffCoug
redneckjedi wrote:
One issue with Brown making the calls is that Texas was doing a ton of shifting in its alignment throughout the play second clock in the second half. I don't know if you can just call for a zone block or what to mitigate that, but it's tough to get blocking assignments made when guys just keep moving around.

The answer is to run the offense quicker. Limit the time Texas has to make those shifts.
R
redneckjedi
SpiffCoug wrote:
One issue with Brown making the calls is that Texas was doing a ton of shifting in its alignment throughout the play second clock in the second half. I don't know if you can just call for a zone block or what to mitigate that, but it's tough to get blocking assignments made when guys just keep moving around.

The answer is to run the offense quicker. Limit the time Texas has to make those shifts.


110% agree, especially if you can catch them mid shift when they're not ready and hit 'em in the mouth. But given that we weren't doing so, Brown's job was tough.
G
Guest
redneckjedi wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:
One issue with Brown making the calls is that Texas was doing a ton of shifting in its alignment throughout the play second clock in the second half. I don't know if you can just call for a zone block or what to mitigate that, but it's tough to get blocking assignments made when guys just keep moving around.

The answer is to run the offense quicker. Limit the time Texas has to make those shifts.


110% agree, especially if you can catch them mid shift when they're not ready and hit 'em in the mouth. But given that we weren't doing so, Brown's job was tough.


I agree with this, one that that has always annoyed me is that BYU wants to know what and where the defense is going to be. They let them get set, even when running hurry-up. Sometimes they just need to catch the defense unaware and unprepared.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.