Archived Topic

1-4 is Very Possible

by northerncougar · 9/12/2011

Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Losing to Utah, UCF and USU is a distinct possibility. Our offense is non-existent and I have seen nothing the past two games that tells me that we are magically going to figure it out this week.



Utah's D will be the best we have seen so far and UCF and USU's O will be the best we have seen to that point.



When my wife and my two college student daughters all tell me that it looks just like last year, it is a pretty telling thing.
L
Lawboy
Not buying this at all. Not the same as last year at all. Last year, our D stunk it up early and the D lost games for us. This year, we are in every game, chance to win, and the D is rock solid. Add to it that we just played 2 roadies at tough venues for BYU and were in both games all 60 minutes, and I am feeling good about coming home right now. LES is where the wins are, and that will continue. No way in HELL we lose 3 straight at LES with this team and D.
D
Dwight
Give me a break! They may all be difficult games and anything can happen in college sports. However, ending the season 1 point from a perfect season is also very possible. This time last year Heaps hadn't even completed a touchdown pass. When I saw the headline of your post I thought it looked like an article that Gordo Monson would write. :skeptic:
B
BoiseBYU
I do not see Utah's defense as the best we've seen so far....They are good to be sure, but I liked TX's speed and schemes a lot. USC is not an offensive team.
N
northerncougar
I hope I am wrong, but I posted last year the week of the USU game that we would lose and was mocked for a week. It has nothing to do with talent, it was that the team gave up. I watched the offense give up at the end of the half on Saturday.



Right now the offense completely sucks, Utah will stop the run, and Heaps/Doman can't/won't win it on Heaps arm. The game this week is very scary.



Neither Ole Miss or Texas has as good of offenses as UCF or USU. Our D can't win it by themselves.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Not convinced that Utah's defense is better than Texas or Ole Miss. Need to see some stats.
F
frdbtr
Wow, talk about a dark cloud. I think that 1-4 is very possible but not very probable. Last year we went 1-4 because the defense was HORRIBLE this year our defense is going to give us a chance to win every game. We had a great chance to win AT Texas but came up 1 point short. USU and UCF don't have NEAR the talent that Texas has and utah's offense is worse then ours. I have felt from the beginning that this team will not lose a game at home this year and I still feel the same way now then I did after the 1 point loss to Texas.
R
radius19
northerncougar wrote:
I hope I am wrong, but I posted last year the week of the USU game that we would lose and was mocked for a week. It has nothing to do with talent, it was that the team gave up. I watched the offense give up at the end of the half on Saturday.



Right now the offense completely sucks, Utah will stop the run, and Heaps/Doman can't/won't win it on Heaps arm. The game this week is very scary.



Neither Ole Miss or Texas has as good of offenses as UCF or USU. Our D can't win it by themselves.


Back away from the edge there. Texas is AT LEAST as good as UCF or USU's offense, more than likely better. Pretty sure of that fact. Are we all upset the team fell apart and became far too conservative in the second half? Absolutely. Doesn't mean we lose 3 in a row at home. Sorry, not going to happen.
S
SpiffCoug
Why stop there? If we're going 1-4, we could very well lose to San Jose St. I mean, if we're going to lose our next three, why would we be ready for the Spartans. And then we're going to lose to Oregon State. It is a road game. We might get a reprieve against Idaho State, but then TCU is going to kill us and so will Hawaii.



Oh no! BYU is going to finish the season 3-9 or maybe even 2-10!!!!
S
stuckinbig10country
If Jake Heaps doesn't improve, 1-4 is possible, and 2-3 is likely. Until Jake proves he can make plays consistently against man defense the Cougars are in trouble. There was only one throw where I felt Heaps had turned the corner against man defense. It was almost picked, but it was right where it needed to be and his receiver came up with it. If he starts hitting passes like that, the offense will improve.
Advertisement
G
golong
0-12 is a possibility too, but not likely. It's also very possible that BYU is 4-1. Anything is possible. Historically, BYU starts out slow its first two games, just as they have this year, but by the third game, they start scoring points. Plus, this year, the defense is very impressive. I think Utah should be worried about being 1-4, not BYU.
G
Guest
golong wrote:
0-12 is a possibility too, but not likely. It's also very possible that BYU is 4-1. Anything is possible. Historically, BYU starts out slow its first two games, just as they have this year, but by the third game, they start scoring points. Plus, this year, the defense is very impressive. I think Utah should be worried about being 1-4, not BYU.


I don't think that chance exists anymore.
C
Cougarbib
BoiseBYU wrote:
I do not see Utah's defense as the best we've seen so far....They are good to be sure, but I liked TX's speed and schemes a lot. USC is not an offensive team.

I have to call BS on this one Boise - everybody know that everything about USC is offensive. They are an offensive team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Not convinced that Utah's defense is better than Texas or Ole Miss. Need to see some stats.

On paper Utah's defense will look ok. Hard to tell. Week 1 was a decent, but lower division opponent. And USC barely beat Minnesota who lost at home to New Mexico State.



So I don't know how to measure the Ute D. We should assume they will be competent at worst and maybe very good. I would guess they will be about like Ole Miss and Texas.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
northerncougar
stuckinbig10country wrote:
If Jake Heaps doesn't improve, 1-4 is possible, and 2-3 is likely. Until Jake proves he can make plays consistently against man defense the Cougars are in trouble. There was only one throw where I felt Heaps had turned the corner against man defense. It was almost picked, but it was right where it needed to be and his receiver came up with it. If he starts hitting passes like that, the offense will improve.


Bingo. That is my point. I don't see it happening in a week. I hope so, but if not, and we lose to Utah, it could very easily send us into a tailspin.



It isn't just a little change for us. We have a lot of changes we need to make on O. It won't be easy to do in a week.
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
Why stop there? If we're going 1-4, we could very well lose to San Jose St. I mean, if we're going to lose our next three, why would we be ready for the Spartans. And then we're going to lose to Oregon State. It is a road game. We might get a reprieve against Idaho State, but then TCU is going to kill us and so will Hawaii.



Oh no! BYU is going to finish the season 3-9 or maybe even 2-10!!!!


This is exactly what was said last year when I said we would lose to USU. I'm not saying it will, but it is much more of a possibility than many are accepting.



I do see the same thing with this team as last year, just offensively, not on both sides. Right now our offense is terrible. The O line hasn't lived up to it's pre-season billing (no surprise since this is the same thing every year), we have no run game, our receivers can't get open, our QB looks lost and our OC is new and struggling. I don't see how we fix those things in a week, or even several weeks.
B
BroncoBot
northerncougar wrote:
Why stop there? If we're going 1-4, we could very well lose to San Jose St. I mean, if we're going to lose our next three, why would we be ready for the Spartans. And then we're going to lose to Oregon State. It is a road game. We might get a reprieve against Idaho State, but then TCU is going to kill us and so will Hawaii.



Oh no! BYU is going to finish the season 3-9 or maybe even 2-10!!!!


This is exactly what was said last year when I said we would lose to USU. I'm not saying it will, but it is much more of a possibility than many are accepting.



I do see the same thing with this team as last year, just offensively, not on both sides. Right now our offense is terrible. The O line hasn't lived up to it's pre-season billing (no surprise since this is the same thing every year), we have no run game, our receivers can't get open, our QB looks lost and our OC is new and struggling. I don't see how we fix those things in a week, or even several weeks.

northern, I think I was one of those that ridiculed you leading up to the USU game. Sorry about that. And I think you have a point. The utah game is a big one because it really could send the team into a tailspin. UCF looks scaryy (at least on paper. Giving up 1.5 points a game!!!), and USU is killing it this year and I'm not sure our offense can keep up with their points, even if our D is doing a good job limiting their points.



Now the reason that we won't carry this over to the rest of the season is that SJSU is terrible. One of the worst out there. I could see BYU loosing 4-5 of their remaining games. I don't think they will, but wouldn't be shocked if they ended up 7-5 or 6-6 again. TCU looks good, as does Hawaii and if Texas was any indication, BYU will have a hard time stopping a shifty QB like Hawaii has.
N
northerncougar
declocoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Why stop there? If we're going 1-4, we could very well lose to San Jose St. I mean, if we're going to lose our next three, why would we be ready for the Spartans. And then we're going to lose to Oregon State. It is a road game. We might get a reprieve against Idaho State, but then TCU is going to kill us and so will Hawaii.



Oh no! BYU is going to finish the season 3-9 or maybe even 2-10!!!!


This is exactly what was said last year when I said we would lose to USU. I'm not saying it will, but it is much more of a possibility than many are accepting.



I do see the same thing with this team as last year, just offensively, not on both sides. Right now our offense is terrible. The O line hasn't lived up to it's pre-season billing (no surprise since this is the same thing every year), we have no run game, our receivers can't get open, our QB looks lost and our OC is new and struggling. I don't see how we fix those things in a week, or even several weeks.

northern, I think I was one of those that ridiculed you leading up to the USU game. Sorry about that. And I think you have a point. The utah game is a big one because it really could send the team into a tailspin. UCF looks scaryy (at least on paper. Giving up 1.5 points a game!!!), and USU is killing it this year and I'm not sure our offense can keep up with their points, even if our D is doing a good job limiting their points.



Now the reason that we won't carry this over to the rest of the season is that SJSU is terrible. One of the worst out there. I could see BYU loosing 4-5 of their remaining games. I don't think they will, but wouldn't be shocked if they ended up 7-5 or 6-6 again. TCU looks good, as does Hawaii and if Texas was any indication, BYU will have a hard time stopping a shifty QB like Hawaii has.


I am not hurt or bothered by the mocking of my opinion. In fact, I hope that my opinion is 180 degrees from the truth. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. I was just pointing out that too many are unwilling to accept the truth of what we have seen on the field, and the same thing happened last year. I woke up at 3:00 am on Sunday morning and the first thought through my mind was the loss. It took me a while to go back to sleep. It isn't the loss that frustrated me, it is how we lost. We got out played and out coached in the 2nd half.



I am worried that we haven't done anything that so many people thought BYU was capable of on offense this year. We were supposed to have this amazing offensive line, high tempo, risk taking offense, with a sophomore QB who would start up where he left off last year. We were supposed to finally have the amazing WR's who would be huge targets for Jake. All false.



These things all spell potential disaster for the next few games.



We are 108th total offense, 275.5 ypg. We are 113th rushing offense, with 67 ypg. We can talk all we want about the defenses we have played, but when Southern Illinois gains 100 more yards than we did against Ole Miss, and Rice gains the same as we did against TX, it is pretty easy to say that it isn't their defense as much as our offense.



Sad and pathetic.
Y
Y12
northerncougar wrote:
Losing to Utah, UCF and USU is a distinct possibility. Our offense is non-existent and I have seen nothing the past two games that tells me that we are magically going to figure it out this week.



Utah's D will be the best we have seen so far and UCF and USU's O will be the best we have seen to that point.



When my wife and my two college student daughters all tell me that it looks just like last year, it is a pretty telling thing.


TIC?



Utah will probably be the worst defense we have seen so far, and UCF worse than that, and USU even worse--they gave up 42 points to an Aburn team that is replacing almost all its starters. When the game was on the line USU surrendered 2 TD.
B
BroncoBot
Y12 wrote:
Losing to Utah, UCF and USU is a distinct possibility. Our offense is non-existent and I have seen nothing the past two games that tells me that we are magically going to figure it out this week.



Utah's D will be the best we have seen so far and UCF and USU's O will be the best we have seen to that point.



When my wife and my two college student daughters all tell me that it looks just like last year, it is a pretty telling thing.


TIC?



Utah will probably be the worst defense we have seen so far, and UCF worse than that, and USU even worse--they gave up 42 points to an Aburn team that is replacing almost all its starters. When the game was on the line USU surrendered 2 TD.

UCF pitched a shutout and held another team to 3 points. I don't care who you are, that's good defense. Utah is always problematic for BYU. Its sad how much they must be in BYU's head.



I just hope our players don't have the same attitude about these games as a lot of fans.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.