Archived Topic

"It's pretty stupid to get mad at a game"

by Cougarfan87 · 9/12/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
my son told me. I responded, "Watch your mouth!" :lol:



I was thoroughly frustrated with the game and would like to explain why:



-First, I didn't expect to win, but thought we would have a chance. It is even more frustrating that we had the game under control and gave it away.



-I was frustrated with the end of the first half. I knew we would need more points and running out the clock rather than letting Sorenson try one of his really long field goals was pretty frustrating. Three points at the end of the half might have made the difference (can't say it would have for sure because Texas would react differently based on the score).



-I was frustrated by the offense in the second half. Why did we stop passing to the tight ends over the middle for big gains. Where were the crossing routes? I don't blame the defense (except for the myriad diving at the feet and one arm tackle attempts), who had to be worn out because the offense wasn't doing anything with the ball.



-Doman Anae'd that second to last drive. Three runs and a punt. I don't blame Heaps too much because I think he has been a little hamstrung by Doman's play calling. Color me unimpressed so far with the "new offense" that looks like every other run-first-offense-and-try-and-get-a-deep-pass-off-play-action that I have ever seen. I do like throwing from under center, but I wish we ran more of a traditional west coast offense.



-Still frustrated by JJ dancing behind the line and not learning when to take a yard or two gain instead of losing three to try and get more.



All that being said, Jake is a true sophmore and Doman is a first year OC. The defense is what we thought it was, GREAT. However, the defense should be able to rely on the offense to score more than 16 points to secure the victory. That's where the focus needs to be, and I think we will get there eventually.



The future is still bright, though I have to learn to deal with frustrating games better. It is helpful to remember that these are just young men, not professionals, who you have to believe are doing the best they can. I am proud of these young men and the way they represent BYU. It is also helpful to remember that "it's pretty stupid to get mad at a game."
C
CAFB_04-12
There's no problem with getting mad at the game...it's an emotional sport and we have a lot invested emotionally.



The problem is not being able to let it go by Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.
A
AJP
Cougarfan87 wrote:
-Still frustrated by JJ dancing behind the line and not learning when to take a yard or two gain instead of losing three to try and get more.

I don't know what JJ you saw, but the one I saw did a good job creating something out of nothing and managed to not get tackled in the backfield much. That and he was able to get to the outside, which were the only runs of the night that were able to get anything.
C
Cougarfan87
AJP wrote:
-Still frustrated by JJ dancing behind the line and not learning when to take a yard or two gain instead of losing three to try and get more.

I don't know what JJ you saw, but the one I saw did a good job creating something out of nothing and managed to not get tackled in the backfield much. That and he was able to get to the outside, which were the only runs of the night that were able to get anything.


OK, perhaps I overstated losing three. He rushed the ball 14 times and had three rushes for no gain, two rushes for loss, and a few more 1 yard gains. That's the dancing I'm talking about. DiLuigi is a great pass catcher out of the back field, in the flat, and in the slot. He is good at running around the edge or bouncing a run inside to the outside. But he is terrible at picking holes up the middle. That's because he dances behind the line of scrimmage every time he gets the ball in the back field. Juice doesn't have the edge speed Diluigi has, but he and Karyia are much better at seeing a hole up the middle and running through it for positive gains.
C
Cougarbib
So when Juice gets over his migraine and Kariya gets over whatever had him puking Saturday, maybe we will have some more options and defenses won't be able to key on JJ. We will see decent defenses the next two weeks and they will try to stuff the run, pressure Heaps, and make BYU beat them with the pass. Role Reversal. How ironic.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
There's no problem with getting mad at the game...it's an emotional sport and we have a lot invested emotionally.



The problem is not being able to let it go by Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.


Amen. I almost threw our piano bench into the wall after the last 3-and-out, ranted for about 30 minutes, took some respite watching Utah lose in a similar fashion, and then spent the rest of the night cleaning the house and getting Sunday dinner ready (my wife is pregnant, not that I don't enjoy cooking/cleaning without an excuse). I was surprised how quickly I got over the loss, compared to that FSU game two years ago or any one of the last several TCU losses. Sometimes a little disconnect is healthy.



I realize forums like this exist for analysis, but everybody has a different relationship with their sports team. Some fans like to identify flaws and get really hung up on them, some fans like vitriolic debate. I don't. I'm not in denial about where our team is lacking, but I do feel that as a fan, I reserve the right to believe the best about my team, and since sports are merely a recreational aspect of life, I don't feel like I'm obligated to make myself suffer when they don't live up to expectations.
G
Guest
JJ does have a tendency to dance around too much. The problem is, it works about 1/2 to 3/4 of the time in getting him a bit more yardage, causing him to do it when sometimes you'd just wish he would hit the hole.
T
trueblue72
Dcr36 totally hear you bro. I almost threw my phone after the draw on third and a mile. So instead I picked up clothes I folded at half time and threw them and they knocked over some vase my wife had ( didn't break it, luckily) but the next day I was over it. After all it is a game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
JJ may like dancin, but he ain't got nothing on these guys.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12d1zyG2ojs
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.