Archived Topic

Utes Running Game

by SpiffCoug · 9/12/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
It's clearly their strength.



Against USC, they ran 25 times for 81 yards (3.2 ypc). Through two games, BYU has given up 230 yards on 72 carries (3.2 ypc). Can BYU shut down the Utes running game? If we can, I like our chances with Wynn.
W
Wickchad
SpiffCoug wrote:
It's clearly their strength.



Against USC, they ran 25 times for 81 yards (3.2 ypc). Through two games, BYU has given up 230 yards on 72 carries (3.2 ypc). Can BYU shut down the Utes running game? If we can, I like our chances with Wynn.


Wynn will probably get benched and we will make our opponent realize their back up is better for the third week in a row.
B
BroncoBot
Wickchad84087 wrote:
It's clearly their strength.



Against USC, they ran 25 times for 81 yards (3.2 ypc). Through two games, BYU has given up 230 yards on 72 carries (3.2 ypc). Can BYU shut down the Utes running game? If we can, I like our chances with Wynn.


Wynn will probably get benched and we will make our opponent realize their back up is better for the third week in a row.

HA HA, BYU does have a knack for that. TCU 2005. UTah 2005 (they started the new QB for BYU after BJ went down against NM and he sure looked good that game). Any others that I'm missing?



Shut the run down, and pressure Wynn into bad mistakes. The only time Wynn looked competent the other night was when USC went prevent.
L
Lawboy
We may struggle to score 20 against Utah, but they will struggle to score 10 against us. In fact, I suspect they score less than 10. Calling it now.
B
BroncoBot
I'm just hoping that Pendelton reintroduces himself to Mr. Wynn a few times. Those two should be best friends by the end of the game.



I'd agree though. Utah should have a very difficult time moving the ball in provo!
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
declocoug wrote:
I'm just hoping that Pendelton reintroduces himself to Mr. Wynn a few times. Those two should be best friends by the end of the game.



I'd agree though. Utah should have a very difficult time moving the ball in provo!


If Pendelton could introduce Ziggy and KVN as well, I will be pleased.
C
Cougs_Rule
I hate to say this, but from purely a x's and o's standpoint--rivalry aside for a moment--this bodes better for Utah. They have a better run game than we do. And if both D's start to get tired by the 4th. they will stop our run game better than we will stop theirs. it looks like the stats would back that up. But thats more about us not having a very good run game. So unless Jake can get it going and keep it going with the pass, or find ways to get it into the endzone, this game may be another nail-biter.
Y
Yndian
I'm just glad we're playing in Provo instead of Salt Lake so we won't be affected by the elevation.
C
Cougarbib
Yndian wrote:
I'm just glad we're playing in Provo instead of Salt Lake so we won't be affected by the elevation.

Classic. You should have used this in the Ute joke thread.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
I hate to say this, but from purely a x's and o's standpoint--rivalry aside for a moment--this bodes better for Utah. They have a better run game than we do. And if both D's start to get tired by the 4th. they will stop our run game better than we will stop theirs. it looks like the stats would back that up. But thats more about us not having a very good run game. So unless Jake can get it going and keep it going with the pass, or find ways to get it into the endzone, this game may be another nail-biter.

Utes will try to make Jake beat them. I think they will contain, if not shut down our run. Of course last time I felt that way we ran for well over 200 yards in the Rice Paddy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Yndian wrote:
I'm just glad we're playing in Provo instead of Salt Lake so we won't be affected by the elevation.

Don't forget the nasty weather north of point of the mountain. Those beer showers are something else.
C
Cougarbib
Being serious momentarily. The Utes were a blocked field goal away from taking USC into OT after stinking it up early like we did vs Ole Miss and then fighting their way back into it. They did this without an overpowering running game. Wynn was not dominating by any stretch, but he did enough to give his team a chance to beat USC in LA.



The Utes are us on offense. Good or even great at times and then horrible at other times. Wynn is Heaps with a little more experience and less arm strength. He doesn't seem to be afraid to take a hit even having had surgery. Maybe the girly - Samson and Delilah hair gives him confidence. In any event, neither of us has a great running game or passing game. If our guys are back healthy, I am going to give us a slight edge on the running game. Of course, I mean Mendenhall, Kariya, and Juice back healthy to augment and block for DiLuigi. I am going to give Wynn and company a slight edge tossing the old pigskin.



We will both play well on defense aided by playing against an anemic offense.



Special teams - well Special Teams breaks the tie and BYU wins on a blocked extra-point attempt.



BYU 17 Utah 16



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
MLB recruit Wolford on the utah game



Next week, BYU will face rival Utah. It appears Wolford understands the rivalry between the two schools, and he made a bold prediction for the game.



Upon being asked who would win, he said, “Oh, the Cougars, and you know they’re going to win. Utah doesn’t even have a chance against BYU, not at all. They don’t have a chance against BYU. I bet BYU’s offense picks it up this week and gets rolling. I would say BYU wins 31-7, is my pick. Utah doesn’t have a chance against BYU and I just have a feeling their offense is going to come alive. When it does, and I believe it will, I don’t think Utah will have much of a chance.”



http://byu.scout.com/2/1105956.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I like this kid. Hope he walks the walk.
D
Dwight
I thought the Ute O-line was banged up and depleted during fall camp. How is it that they have such a great running game?
A
a1247
Dwight wrote:
I thought the Ute O-line was banged up and depleted during fall camp. How is it that they have such a great running game?




I don't think Utahs running game is all that good if you take there running stats from the Montana State game away. There stats are about the same as Byu's if you do.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Yndian wrote:
I'm just glad we're playing in Provo instead of Salt Lake so we won't be affected by the elevation.




Suhweeeet! Ha ha ha! Great observation! ;)
J
jonnylingo
This game is going to be close. I originally thought we were going to wipe the floor with them. I am not confident in our ability to do that at this point at all. I would say we are even teams. I think it will be yet another close game unfortunately.



We will see who has better coaches on saturday.
M
mizzoucoug
BYU playing at home is worth 10 points alone imo. I have been down on Heaps as much as anybody, but he plays better at home without a doubt. BYU wins by 13.
C
crh55
Dwight wrote:
I thought the Ute O-line was banged up and depleted during fall camp. How is it that they have such a great running game?


Watching the USC game, the Utah O-line looks like a major weakness. The USC defense was in the backfield the whole game, rushing and sacking Wynn. Hopefully Bronco deploys an aggressive attack and KVN and Pendelton will be able to pin their ears back and get into Wynn's head.



The main issue is that we have to score int he mid 20's to win these tough contests. The defense will hold teams under 20. The offense just has to be more balanced, throw down field, finish in the Blue Zone, and play 2 halves.



We got this one!
R
redneckjedi
Is it possible that Doman and/or Bronco have been holding things back in order to unleash it on this game? Seems a little illogical given the situation we were in in the second half last week, but we still only lost by one...



As far as Utah's run game goes, I think with all their OL problems Bronco will have a field day. Bronco knows what to do with bad OLs - just ask Sam Bradford.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.