Archived Topic

ESPN: BYU is in if OU Stays

by jonnylingo · 9/8/2011

Advertisement
R
Raiderboy
Based on the news, it sounds like OU to the PAC or a PAC 16 is unlikely.



The SEC surely wants OU for it's 14th team though. I can't see why they wouldn't, and that has got to be tempting for OU.



I'm not surprised about the report that BYU is strongly interested in the Big12. If exposure is what we want, we'll get more in the Big12 with consistently bigger games and a major conference championship game that likely leads to a BCS title game. In the BigXII, we will be able to play for the BCS title game some years even with a loss. Rarely maybe even 2 losses.



I think the arguments that independence and the WCC are superior are silly. Also silly that the WCC could possibly be hurt by a decision to move all sports to the Big12 after a year. That'd be like us saying we were hurt by Utah to go to the PAC.



And if we go to the Big12 and it falls apart after 2 years? The WCC and independence will be waiting with open arms, along with other opportunities.



The Big12 is the way to go gentlemen. I see very few negatives, and those few negatives are very little things.



I can just picture the posts on utefans.net screaming for it not to work out. They absolutely love that they are in a major conference and we aren't. Going to a better, albeit seemingly less stable conference would be a nice little slap back at our little brothers from the north.
C
CAFB_04-12
Not sure why OU would go to the SEC. The road to the BCS championship is much easier in the Big XII.
S
SpiffCoug
Does the article really say BYU is in if OU stays?
Meanwhile, if Oklahoma commits to the Big 12 and Texas A&M leaves for the SEC, the Big 12 is going to pursue BYU as a 10th member, according to the source. The source said there was strong interest from the Cougars prior to last week's comments from Oklahoma president David Boren that the Sooners were exploring their options. BYU, formerly of the Mountain West, is an independent in football and its other remaining sports compete in the West Coast Conference.


To me all it says is that if Oklahoma remains in the Big 12, then they're going to pursue BYU and that they was interest. I don't read that as saying BYU would become a member.
L
Lawboy
This is nothing too new. BYU has been the pick to replace A&M for a few weeks now, if not longer. Just that some details are leaking out now because things are getting really crazy with the expansion talks.



I really wish this could get put to bed ASAP. It really is overshadowing the season right now. That is what is wrong with all of this.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Am I the only that thinks it odd that a conference called the Pacific 12/16 would try to put a team from Oklahoma in its conference. Oklahoma is East of Texas and is closer to the Atlantic ocean than the Pacific Ocean.
A
AJP
Gunk wrote:
Am I the only that thinks it odd that a conference called the Pacific 12/16 would try to put a team from Oklahoma in its conference. Oklahoma is East of Texas and is closer to the Atlantic ocean than the Pacific Ocean.

That's news to me :whistle:



Regardless, I do agree that geographically Texas and Oklahoma clearly do not fit in the Pac 12, but we're already gonna have TCU in the Big East :skeptic:
B
blue42
Gunk wrote:
Am I the only that thinks it odd that a conference called the Pacific 12/16 would try to put a team from Oklahoma in its conference. Oklahoma is East of Texas and is closer to the Atlantic ocean than the Pacific Ocean.


Actually Oklahoma is north of Texas and Norman Ok is amost directly north of Austin.
G
Gunk
blue42 wrote:
Am I the only that thinks it odd that a conference called the Pacific 12/16 would try to put a team from Oklahoma in its conference. Oklahoma is East of Texas and is closer to the Atlantic ocean than the Pacific Ocean.


Actually Oklahoma is north of Texas and Norman Ok is amost directly north of Austin.


I'm wrong and I'm right. OU is East of the northern Texas pan-handle and north of main body of Texas. Either way, it's not a Pacific coast state.



http://www.myonlinemaps.com/images/oklahoma-map.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Am I the only that thinks it odd that a conference called the Pacific 12/16 would try to put a team from Oklahoma in its conference. Oklahoma is East of Texas and is closer to the Atlantic ocean than the Pacific Ocean.


Actually Oklahoma is north of Texas and Norman Ok is amost directly north of Austin.


I'm wrong and I'm right. OU is East of the northern Texas pan-handle and north of main body of Texas. Either way, it's not a Pacific coast state.



http://www.myonlinemaps.com/images/oklahoma-map.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


It's further west than the "mid west" so why shouldn't it be in the PAC-whatever? ;)
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Not to name drop but as I look at TH sitting across the lobby, looking relaxed, visiting w some donors, not answering emails, taking any calls, etc, I just have to wonder. If anything is happening, its likely done and determined, because he's just hanging out. I know that is a realtively meaningless data point, but wouldn't it be cool to get the scoop? Don't bother asking. I'm not going to bother him. :-)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
Lol. Tom can relax because he knows what's going on. We DON"T so we SPECULATE and FUMIGATE and RUMINATE cause we don't have no freaking CLUE.



Looking at the schizophrenic message boards compared to your description of the man making the decisions couldn't be more different.



Also...if he's in front of donors...do you think he's going to show up looking like he's been on the phone all night or put his hand in an electric socket? Got to get the MONEY man!
C
CAFB_04-12
He was probably in Alaska fishing anyways.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.