Archived Topic

Roll call/places to eat for TX game

by byutx · 9/6/2011

Advertisement
B
byutx
I'll be making the trip down from Dallas and am wondering which fellow CC'ers will be heading down there. There is tons to do and see, but the best thing about visiting Texas, besides the hospitality, is the food. Let me plug my favorites: Mighty Fine Burger and the Salt Lick. MFB might be the best 3 burgers I've ever had. I highly recommend the hand scooped bluebell icecream shakes as well. The Salt Lick has fantastic brisket (bbq in TX=beef) and sausage. I also love their blackberry cobbler.



There are too many fantastic Tex-Mex places to count and every Austin resident will tell you which one is the best (there are literally 100's of "best Tex-Mex" joints in the area). Personally, I think San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley have far better Tex-Mex, but I hear Austin has some great options. As far as chains goes, Chuy's is pretty tasty. I've heard great things about Torchy's and Juan in a Million was featured on Man vs. food and is supposed to be really tasty.



I almost forgot the most important part: My crew will be cheering our hearts out from Section 104.
J
jonnylingo
I heard salt lick is a must stop. will be eating there thursday night. can't wait.
B
billbillbillbill
Our trip down got shortened to flying out late Friday night. I was looking forward to spending a couple of days in Austin prior but at least I still get to be at the game!



I didn't get the tickets but were purchased through Cougar Club so hopefully we get to sit around some blue clad fans.
J
jonnylingo
billbillbillbill wrote:
Our trip down got shortened to flying out late Friday night. I was looking forward to spending a couple of days in Austin prior but at least I still get to be at the game!



I didn't get the tickets but were purchased through Cougar Club so hopefully we get to sit around some blue clad fans.


My tickets are on the texas side. bought them from some season ticket holders. would have been nice to be around byu fans, but i thought the better seats might be worth it.
R
redneckjedi
Section 123, all the way at the top, baby. Trying to convince my wife to color her hair blue, but I'm not too confident in my persuasive abilities. :)
Advertisement
B
byutx
If you have time, take the treck out to Lockhart, TX-a tiny texan town that has some of the best original bbq around. Shmitty's and Kreutz Market are supposed to be legendary.



I also suggest you make the drive to San Antonio if you have time. Great dining on the Riverwalk. I love Lulu's cafe downtown (home of the best chicken fried steak and 3 lb cinnamon rolls) and am also a fan of Taco Palenque-not bad for fast(ish) food-get the Tampiquena plate.



Also, let me recommend Alamo Draft House throughout Austin and San Antonio. Great food + a decent movie is a great combination.
C
CAFB_04-12
Section 121 here...
C
CAFB_04-12
We need a "Cougar Corner" flag, like a travel gnome, that could be photographed at all the different stadiums.



Edit to Add: "Cougar Corner" would be especially appropriate at away games, where the team always puts visiting fans in the corner of the stadium.
G
Guest
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
We need a "Cougar Corner" flag, like a travel gnome, that could be photographed at all the different stadiums.



Edit to Add: "Cougar Corner" would be especially appropriate at away games, where the team always puts visiting fans in the corner of the stadium.


Agreed!
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
hawkwing wrote:
We need a "Cougar Corner" flag, like a travel gnome, that could be photographed at all the different stadiums.



Edit to Add: "Cougar Corner" would be especially appropriate at away games, where the team always puts visiting fans in the corner of the stadium.


Agreed!


We need to get a Cougar Corner flag flying in the back ground of College Game Day every week. If Washington State can do it every week so can we.
J
jonnylingo
byutx. you sound familiar with the area. any recommendations on good golf courses in austin?
B
byutx
jonnylingo wrote:
byutx. you sound familiar with the area. any recommendations on good golf courses in austin?


I have seen several beautiful courses in the area, but, alas, I am not a golfer and can't help you out. sorry.
M
Metal Bubba
I'll be there, but don't know the section yet. My brother bought the tickets. I'll be spending most of the long weekend in San Antonio, so if anyone has some recommendations in that area... let a brother know.



:evil:
B
byutx
Metal Bubba wrote:
I'll be there, but don't know the section yet. My brother bought the tickets. I'll be spending most of the long weekend in San Antonio, so if anyone has some recommendations in that area... let a brother know.



:evil:

San Antonio is my favorite city in the U.S. There is a ton to do and I don't think there is a large city in America that pulls off the small town feel better than San Antonio. first of all, you gotta do the riverwalk. Is it touristy? sure. is it worth it? Absolutely. I also think the alamo is a must as well as the mercado (all 3 of these are free). Downtown has some decent architecture and historical sights if you're into that. The Buckhorn is a pretty neat but overpriced western/Texas history museum. Of course you have seaworld, 6 flags, the tower of the Americas and the San Antonio zoo. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.



Foodwise, for my tastes (I'm a bbq and tex-mex guy) there is no better place than San Antonio. I can personally recommend the following places:



-Lulu's cafe: down home cooking-I never had chicken fried steak until I had it there; get it with 1/2 queso and 1/2 gravy; also like the 3 lb. cinnamon rolls; this was featured on man vs. food



-Pico De Gallo: Mexican; it's just outside downtown and el mercado; good mexican at a decent price and it's not usually busy



-Rosario's: Mexican; just south of downtown; very, very tasty; good quality; a bit pricey



-Taco Palenque: REAL border Tex-Mex; this is my favorite for mostly nostalgia (served my mission in McAllen and frequented this place whenever I could); I think it is worth driving around to find. I believe there is one at the North Star Mall (San Pedro and Loop 410) and a newer location around the NW area of the loop. Look them up on line. If you go there, try the Tampiquena plate-it's about 10 bucks but worth it. Also try their Jamaica juice drink. I like it with sprite. Also love their beef carne asada quesadillas. I make it a point to go here whenever I am in town.



-alamo draft house: movie tavern; great food; I dig their bluebell shakes and their burgers and fries



-Other places I know are great from others whom I trust: Big Lou's pizza (get the brisket pizza), The Smokehouse (open pit-style bbq in the restaurant-Brisket and sausage are a must), Rita's on the Rio (Riverside Tex Mex), Alamo Draft house
Advertisement
T
ThrowbackBlue
byutx wrote:
I'll be there, but don't know the section yet. My brother bought the tickets. I'll be spending most of the long weekend in San Antonio, so if anyone has some recommendations in that area... let a brother know.



:evil:

San Antonio is my favorite city in the U.S. There is a ton to do and I don't think there is a large city in America that pulls off the small town feel better than San Antonio. first of all, you gotta do the riverwalk. Is it touristy? sure. is it worth it? Absolutely. I also think the alamo is a must as well as the mercado (all 3 of these are free). Downtown has some decent architecture and historical sights if you're into that. The Buckhorn is a pretty neat but overpriced western/Texas history museum. Of course you have seaworld, 6 flags, the tower of the Americas and the San Antonio zoo. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.



Foodwise, for my tastes (I'm a bbq and tex-mex guy) there is no better place than San Antonio. I can personally recommend the following places:



-Lulu's cafe: down home cooking-I never had chicken fried steak until I had it there; get it with 1/2 queso and 1/2 gravy; also like the 3 lb. cinnamon rolls; this was featured on man vs. food



-Pico De Gallo: Mexican; it's just outside downtown and el mercado; good mexican at a decent price and it's not usually busy



-Rosario's: Mexican; just south of downtown; very, very tasty; good quality; a bit pricey



-Taco Palenque: REAL border Tex-Mex; this is my favorite for mostly nostalgia (served my mission in McAllen and frequented this place whenever I could); I think it is worth driving around to find. I believe there is one at the North Star Mall (San Pedro and Loop 410) and a newer location around the NW area of the loop. Look them up on line. If you go there, try the Tampiquena plate-it's about 10 bucks but worth it. Also try their Jamaica juice drink. I like it with sprite. Also love their beef carne asada quesadillas. I make it a point to go here whenever I am in town.



-alamo draft house: movie tavern; great food; I dig their bluebell shakes and their burgers and fries



-Other places I know are great from others whom I trust: Big Lou's pizza (get the brisket pizza), The Smokehouse (open pit-style bbq in the restaurant-Brisket and sausage are a must), Rita's on the Rio (Riverside Tex Mex), Alamo Draft house


Couldn’t agree more! San Antonio is certainly in my top 3 of US cities—one of those few cities in the country with a palpable atmosphere. GREAT food all around the city including the riverwalk. I agree with all of your restaurant recommendations but would also add The County Line to that list (have locations in both SA & Austin). They serve one dish “the Cadillac” which includes an all-you-can-eat sampling of every BBQ item on their menu served in Texas-sized portions which will no doubt leave you with the meat-sweats.



Also hearing a ton of recommendations from Austin locals and travelers alike to eat at The Franklin—recently voted #1 in the country for BBQ.



Luckily enough I have “business” this Friday in San Antonio and get the pleasure of extending my stay through Saturday to attend the game in Austin and enjoy some great Texas food in the process. I’m really looking forward to it.
M
Metal Bubba
byutx wrote:
I'll be there, but don't know the section yet. My brother bought the tickets. I'll be spending most of the long weekend in San Antonio, so if anyone has some recommendations in that area... let a brother know.



:evil:

San Antonio is my favorite city in the U.S. There is a ton to do and I don't think there is a large city in America that pulls off the small town feel better than San Antonio. first of all, you gotta do the riverwalk. Is it touristy? sure. is it worth it? Absolutely. I also think the alamo is a must as well as the mercado (all 3 of these are free). Downtown has some decent architecture and historical sights if you're into that. The Buckhorn is a pretty neat but overpriced western/Texas history museum. Of course you have seaworld, 6 flags, the tower of the Americas and the San Antonio zoo. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.



Foodwise, for my tastes (I'm a bbq and tex-mex guy) there is no better place than San Antonio. I can personally recommend the following places:



-Lulu's cafe: down home cooking-I never had chicken fried steak until I had it there; get it with 1/2 queso and 1/2 gravy; also like the 3 lb. cinnamon rolls; this was featured on man vs. food



-Pico De Gallo: Mexican; it's just outside downtown and el mercado; good mexican at a decent price and it's not usually busy



-Rosario's: Mexican; just south of downtown; very, very tasty; good quality; a bit pricey



-Taco Palenque: REAL border Tex-Mex; this is my favorite for mostly nostalgia (served my mission in McAllen and frequented this place whenever I could); I think it is worth driving around to find. I believe there is one at the North Star Mall (San Pedro and Loop 410) and a newer location around the NW area of the loop. Look them up on line. If you go there, try the Tampiquena plate-it's about 10 bucks but worth it. Also try their Jamaica juice drink. I like it with sprite. Also love their beef carne asada quesadillas. I make it a point to go here whenever I am in town.



-alamo draft house: movie tavern; great food; I dig their bluebell shakes and their burgers and fries



-Other places I know are great from others whom I trust: Big Lou's pizza (get the brisket pizza), The Smokehouse (open pit-style bbq in the restaurant-Brisket and sausage are a must), Rita's on the Rio (Riverside Tex Mex), Alamo Draft house


Awesome. Thanks for the info. Maybe I can get my good buddy Timmy Duncan to pay for the expensive. We went to college together, don't you know.



:evil:
M
MountainMD
Saltlick and County Line are good. Chuy's is excellent. With a quick trip required for me, I will have to focus on the 2 very best stops in Austin... Threadgill's (on the river) and Texadelphia (Philly cheese steaks with a Texan twist.)
M
MountainMD
Section 119 for me...
C
cougarcaveman
Section 102 seats 35-40. Should we feel guilty when a large contingent of the priesthood leadership from our ward will be in Austin/ New Braunfells rather than at stake conference; while our wives have to take our 26 kids (combined) on the 90 min drive for stake confernce, both Sat and Sunday Sessions.



At least we will not be called to any new Stake callings right? By the way, we need a ward to Crash Sunday morning in the New Braunfells area.



Did not look at the stake calendar prior to ticket purchase. Thats our story and were sticking to it.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.