Archived Topic

Which Game A More Difficult Win: OleMiss or Texas???

by Cougs_Rule · 9/5/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
So I was wondering what the peanut gallery and the CC experts would predict. which game would be more difficult to Win given all variables of 1st game, SEC v Big-12, new OC's at both, experience level of QB, strengths vs weaknesses, corrections to result of 1st game,etc.

(sorry I cant think of a better way to ask that. Feel free you smart alecs not not put OleMiss, bc we already beat them--you know what I mean).
C
Cougs_Rule
Wow. I know its early voting, but since I'm the only one who voted for olemiss, I'm might be totally missing it.

I would think that olemiss' defense would be tougher and more agressive than texas'.

And if our offense will likely perform better vs tx we would be in a better position to win.

I get that tx offense might be better than olemiss' and maybe y'all are fearing the deep ball to that great WR.

Thoughts?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Ole Miss is a poor team guys. Texas will at least be able to throw the ball and I promise you they are a threat to put up 21 or so on us...Ole Miss never was. If we can't get into the endzone again then we will certainly lose. UT is about 10x better than Ole Miss in every way even in a down era.
W
Wickchad
I wouldn't be surprised if Ole' Miss' defense is better than Texas'. The difference is Ole' Miss didn't expect to win going in. Texas does expect to win. There is a big difference in mind set and sometimes that makes a good team great and is the missing link for a team like Ole' Miss.
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
Ole Miss is a poor team guys. Texas will at least be able to throw the ball and I promise you they are a threat to put up 21 or so on us...Ole Miss never was. If we can't get into the endzone again then we will certainly lose. UT is about 10x better than Ole Miss in every way even in a down era.

Well, if they don't score at least BYU will move the ball between the 25s and rack up some good stats though.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Interesting. I would think a mindset of "must-win" for olemiss would be more motivating than "we will win."

Also I dount Tx is 10x better in every category. Can't be much better on D. Maybe 10%, 20%?

And their O? 20%? 30%?

And if regression to the mean is in effect. Will our O be better and D slide a little?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
In the Pre-season (take it for what it is worth) AP Top 25, Texas is rated #26, right behind USC. Ole Miss is not even rated in the Top 48. Ole Miss did not receive 1 single vote.



I know BYU was lucky to escape with a W last Sat. If Coach Nutt had started his 3rd string QB (Stoudt passing 13/25 for 140) against us instead of Barry Brunetti (pasing 2/3 for 4 yds) I think the outcome would have been different. That kid lit it up!



I suspect Texas will have a QB superior to Ole Miss's Stoudt. I expect a high power passing & pretty good running game. The thing that brings me hope is that Ole Miss had a pretty good running game - and BYU's "D" handled it just fine.



So - Texas will be good - very athletic. Their Offense will be much more effective than Ole Miss. Texas makes me nervous. I hope Doman, Jake & Co work out their execution this week. They will need to be "spot on" to win this week. IMHO.

8)
M
MojoCougar
I'm thinking if BYU doesn't start fast against Texas, we won't like the end results. They let Ole Miss hang around and hang around, and then it took the defense to actually get the W. If they let the Longhorns get momentum and confidence. . . :skeptic:
D
Ddawg
MojoCougar wrote:
I'm thinking if BYU doesn't start fast against Texas, we won't like the end results. They let Ole Miss hang around and hang around, and then it took the defense to actually get the W. If they let the Longhorns get momentum and confidence. . . :skeptic:


100% agreed. If our Offense executes against Texas the way we did against Ole Miss - we'll hear "car keys jingling" in the 4th Qtr - and this time it will be Cougar fans heading for the exits with 2 min. to go.



Go Cougs! 8)
O
OleMissInPeace
mizzoucoug wrote:
Ole Miss is a poor team guys. Texas will at least be able to throw the ball and I promise you they are a threat to put up 21 or so on us...Ole Miss never was. If we can't get into the endzone again then we will certainly lose. UT is about 10x better than Ole Miss in every way even in a down era.


No way. Texas is prob about even with us. Their offense is probably better but their d sucks. Texas sucked just like we did last year. We didn't know which QB we were gonna start cause they were all new. Texas returns their QB and still ain't quite sure... I hope they have a run game.

I really wish Brandon would not have been hurt, looked like he was gonna have a good game running.



You guys thought you were gonna blow us out, I think this is the game you were really thinking of.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm with OMIP. I just don't think the D is as good. The O will be better at Tx. But I think our O will be better as well. During Fall camp I thought olemiss would be tougher than Tx. Just my thoughts.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
OleMissInPeace wrote:

You guys thought you were gonna blow us out, I think this is the game you were really thinking of.


I never thought BYU would blow Ole Miss out. I thought it would be a dog fight - which it was. I honestly thought both Offenses would execute better. Both defenses were where I thought they would be - tough & good execution.



Regarding Texas - I guess I am being influenced by teams gone past. Kinda like Notre Dame which is now Notre Lame.



As for Ole Miss - it looks like you found a QB! That Stoudt has an arm!
O
OleMissInPeace
And I'm not just hating on Texas. I think BYU is gonna have a much better time going up against Texas' zone coverages with young guys. Wesley and temple were being physical and playing man on man with your wr's most of the day. Even when Heaps made plays passing it was because he finally through an pin point accurate ball. On one of the deep balls Apo got it was tipped by Temple. I'm very pleased with the job new DB coach Keith burns has done with our guys. Wesley is doing great coming in as a Juco. I don't see Texas stopping the pass unless they get pressure on Heaps like we were able to some.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
crh55
Texas will no doubt be tougher, because they are texas.



But, Texas only had one more win than Ole Miss, and played an easier schedule. Their O line should be similar and their D will be comparable. But Texas had an amazing recruiting class and will probably play much better on offense.



The bottom line is that we have to figure out things offensively, or we can't expect another 4th quarter come from behind victory. We were the better team Saturday, but we also got pretty lucky.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Ole Miss was definitely not Rice and we faced a more difficult opponent than TX. IMO they were under-rated and will win some games once they start Stoudt and utilize the play action pass. When Stoudt and Scott hook-up more often with the hurry-up offense, they will be tough. They also had very good DBs and Safeties and a tough D. FS Sawyer will be in the NFL some day as well as a couple others on their D. Therefore, it was a good measuring stick for us and will help us in adjusting our offensive scheme for TX.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
H
Hookem
Their offense is probably better but their d sucks.


I'm with OMIP. I just don't think the D is as good.


I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that our D is better than you think. To say our D "sucks" would be as niave as saying that BYU has no "running" game.



We did finish top 10 (6th) in the nation last year in total defense. http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html



We have 7 returning starters. I may be wrong, but off the top of my head, only 1 of the new starters this year failed to get significant or meaningful playing time last year, because he's a true freshman. Which I've stated several times is a concern.



In fact our defense was the sole reason we ever even found ourselves with a chance to win any of those 7 losses. If you're looking at stats, scores, w/l solely, then you fail to realize how often our defense was put into a bad position last year, by the offense.



Not saying that you can't, or won't light us up, not saying we're going to win, just saying that you're a bit off on what you presume our strengths and weaknesses to be.
B
BroncoBot
If BYU can prevent the big plays in this game, I give us a shot. Who knows, maybe this will be our UCLA 2nd game we had in 08. Kinda similar first games that year vs WAshington, one point win, BYU struggled to get in the endzone etc. Maybe Doman, and more importantly Heaps, will come out with a vengeance and BYU slaughters a pretender Texas team. I can dream can't I?
H
Hookem
declocoug wrote:
If BYU can prevent the big plays in this game, I give us a shot. Who knows, maybe this will be our UCLA 2nd game we had in 08. Kinda similar first games that year vs WAshington, one point win, BYU struggled to get in the endzone etc. Maybe Doman, and more importantly Heaps, will come out with a vengeance and BYU slaughters a pretender Texas team. I can dream can't I?


FYI...IMHO, I think if you guys establish a running game, you will win. Even being ranked in the top 10 last year overall, our run defense has been a source of concern.
B
BroncoBot
Hookem wrote:
If BYU can prevent the big plays in this game, I give us a shot. Who knows, maybe this will be our UCLA 2nd game we had in 08. Kinda similar first games that year vs WAshington, one point win, BYU struggled to get in the endzone etc. Maybe Doman, and more importantly Heaps, will come out with a vengeance and BYU slaughters a pretender Texas team. I can dream can't I?


FYI...IMHO, I think if you guys establish a running game, you will win. Even being ranked in the top 10 last year overall, our run defense has been a source of concern.

BYU's run against good-great teams has been downright terrible, which is why BYU doesn't have much hope after getting down 14+. Defenses know we HAVE to pass and force our QBs into bad decisions. I'd have to be a miracle, I think, to average more than 2.5-4 yards a run.
C
Cougarbib
BYU running vs Texas will get about what we got Vs Ole MIss. Maybe a bit more if Juice Quezada is 100% and can contribute. JJ will be the mainstay as usual. If Heaps ever gets bold enough to take off on a broken play or QB draw, add another 30 yards. But we are going to need to throw it. No doubt. If Heaps is as accurate as he is capable of being, we will be able to do that well enough to score 21 points. If we hit a field goal - 24.



It is going to come down to our defense. Hopefully ours is a lot better than Rice had. We will do fine vs the run other than scrambling QBs. We might even do ok there - still untested. I do not know how well we will defend the pass.



BYU 17 Texas 16. If it is a blowout - BYU will be on the wrong end of it.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.