Archived Topic

Confidence, Over Confidence, Swagger, or Naivette?

by Cougarbib · 9/5/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
This Jake Heaps pre-game quote about Apo and Hoffman. "when I throw to them, DBs will have to Pass Interfere or give up a reception, they are unstoppable"

What adjective would you apply.



I categorize it as Naivette in that Heaps clearly wasn't expecting the speed and athleticism of the SEC defensive backs. At least Apo was competitive at an SEC level - but did Jake really expect him to dominate at that level?



It will be interesting to see what gets said this week before our WRs try to dominate Big 12 DBs.



I think they can compete - I don't expect them to dominate.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I would call it "miscategorization" by Jake.

:-) jk.

I will give you this one Bib. Part Naïve. Part Overconfident. Maybe that overconfidence has come in playing against our DB's. But also from being elite at HS.

Besides, Bib, your main man, JimmyMac didn't exactly lack in confidence or arrogance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
I would go with hyperbole if that were an option



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
I'd like to believe we were simply keeping the playbook closed to prep for UT.
B
BerliNY
Hubris?
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
amnesia? Apo hadn't played at the D1 level yet, and Hoffman played last year with limited results against quality defenses. Seems like Heaps forgot that against good teams last year, BYU struggled with the passing game in general. Seems he forgot everything about 2010 except the miners game. Wish I could do the same.
S
SpiffCoug
I characterize it as reading way to much into comments.
S
Schmoe
Hyperbole for dramatic emphasis.
S
snoscythe
Confidence. However, I think Jake Heaps owes a personal apology to everyone who has ever read these comments of his. Personalized "deepest regrets" cards would be most appropriate if he wants to be truly accountable.
C
Cougs_Rule
Nice one. IN the famous words of Sno, many months ago, " I could listen to this all day."
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Cougarbib2 wrote:
This Jake Heaps pre-game quote about Apo and Hoffman. "when I throw to them, DBs will have to Pass Interfere or give up a reception, they are unstoppable"

What adjective would you apply.



I categorize it as Naivette in that Heaps clearly wasn't expecting the speed and athleticism of the SEC defensive backs. At least Apo was competitive at an SEC level - but did Jake really expect him to dominate at that level?



It will be interesting to see what gets said this week before our WRs try to dominate Big 12 DBs.



I think they can compete - I don't expect them to dominate.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I read a Heaps apology in code...I helped translate for you all ;)
L
Lawboy
Confidence. And I like it, because he was pumping his WRs, not himself.



I wonder what many of you would have written about Detmer on the first game he started as a sophomore. 18-29, no TDs, 0 picks and sacked 4 times. Yeah we won, but was against a poor NM team. Ugly win. Hmmm.



Dude is a true sophomore and not the finished BYU product yet. Will not be for another year or more.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
Confidence. However, I think Jake Heaps owes a personal apology to everyone who has ever read these comments of his. Personalized "deepest regrets" cards would be most appropriate if he wants to be truly accountable.


I would like mine sent with flowers. Actually no, strike that. I'll just take the money that Heaps should have ordered the flowers with.



Make that payable to :



In care of:



Cougarbib2's lack of leadership internet apology posting tour

1234 Rising Tide Lane

Hawaii, (but I often visit California, and did I mention I have an iPhone?)
B
byucougar1
Any tour needs a bus - and bib threw Heaps under it - thank goodness someone pulled him out before he got run over again. Making some miscues is one thing - needs improvement. 13-16 in second have shows me that we got back on the road to recovery sans riding over the speed bump.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
Any analysis of this comment is incomplete without also considering Jake's hair. Or his abs. ;)
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
byucougar1 wrote:
Any tour needs a bus - and bib threw Heaps under it - thank goodness someone pulled him out before he got run over again. Making some miscues is one thing - needs improvement. 13-16 in second have shows me that we got back on the road to recovery sans riding over the speed bump.


Ouch! Ha-ha-ha!
G
Gunk
He just spent the summer playing catch with them, of course, he thinks they're hot $h!z.



There is no question Heaps likes the limelight and talking to press (press like him too), so I'm sure this is a bit of Heaps trying to put together a cool sound bite. I like the attitude, but he'd be wiser waiting until there is proof in the pudding before he makes such remarks.



In his quest for a great sound bite his quote could end up as motivational material for the opposing team. I like swagger. I like confidence, but he needs to go sit down with the PR team or take a page from Jimmer.
C
Cougs_Rule
Dcr36 wrote:
Any analysis of this comment is incomplete without also considering Jake's hair. Or his abs. ;)


What about his wardrobe? Dont forget the one-armed JIMMER look. He had to compete with the half-shirt Riley. Wonder what Lark will come out with?



Sorry, trying to compete with Blue's post. Im still laughing my lunch off. Sorry BiB.
B
BYULV
I think he was just trying to lift all boats with his rising tide ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
BYULV wrote:
I think he was just trying to lift all boats with his rising tide ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm not really sure, but I think you might be coming on to me here? ;)



:lol:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.