Archived Topic

Glad they are still here

by Cougarbib · 9/4/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Guys that have taken a lot of heat for being in the way of more athletic players earned their scholarships today. JJ is the man. Kariya was solid and key at times. Uale made some big plays. Jacobsen's catch and yac on the crossing pattern came at a critical time. And, yes, Apo had some moments.



Jake was inconsistent. Stood by again while a pick 6 ran past him according to BYU TV commentators. Doman was criticised for confusion and slow pace of getting plays moving. Maybe the slow pace helped keep the defense and offense fresh although time was ticking away. Big plays were in short supply. Juice left with a headache. Hope he is OK.



Defense was all that was advertised and then some. I am still a bit worried vs an experienced QB that can throw and run. Too many heroes to list, but Kyle, Hebron, Pendleton, basically the front 7 all day. Oh and that safety recovering a fumble. Freshman or soph - right - Sorensen?



Weather was not a big facxtor.



If Jake settles down and throws more accurately and consistently against good defenses, this team will be incredible. If he does not, well we will lose a few games.



None-the-less, when Riley came in, it seemed to break our fragile momentum. I guess if Riley ever proves he can throw from that formation, then maybe that would create big play opportunities. It needs to demonstrate more upside to be worth the momentum risk.



Bronco looked relieved, tired, frustrated, worried, and dazed at the end. Did I mention emotional and happy after he took a moment to reflect. At half he said the defense would need to stop when given a short field and create more turnovers to win. Is he a prophet?



Huge win. Give Ole MIss some respect. They were a worthy opponent today.
C
CAFB_04-12
I didn't think Riley plays killed momentum any more than any other play. I think everything he did was for positive yards. His option toss came a bit too early, I think, but otherwise I think it will be a good wrinkle to have in the offense.



Wonder what they're looking for when they line Riley up in the fake punt look?
C
Cougarbib
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I didn't think Riley plays killed momentum any more than any other play. I think everything he did was for positive yards. His option toss came a bit too early, I think, but otherwise I think it will be a good wrinkle to have in the offense.



Wonder what they're looking for when they line Riley up in the fake punt look?


WHen Heaps settles down - I would be less concerned about the momentum issue. Heaps threw a pick 6 a couple of plays later iirc. Maybe unrelated. Maybe he forced it feeling he needed to score or maybe another situational swithch in the Blue zone.



I am a big Riley Nelson fan. Don't get me wrong. When he completes a pass ro two - then teams will be more likely to make mistakes when he suddenly pops onto the field.
D
Dcr36
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I didn't think Riley plays killed momentum any more than any other play. I think everything he did was for positive yards. His option toss came a bit too early, I think, but otherwise I think it will be a good wrinkle to have in the offense.



Wonder what they're looking for when they line Riley up in the fake punt look?


If I remember correctly, Riley ran two plays. One went for 7, one went for 2.



4.5 yards per play = I can live with him getting two touches a game.
C
CAFB_04-12
Yes. It will force teams to gameplan for an option possibility.
Advertisement
M
MountainMD
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I didn't think Riley plays killed momentum any more than any other play. I think everything he did was for positive yards. His option toss came a bit too early, I think, but otherwise I think it will be a good wrinkle to have in the offense.



Wonder what they're looking for when they line Riley up in the fake punt look?


I like the Riley on the punt look - didn't we see him quick kick a time or two last year as well - with a good chance at a conversion with punt return trams on, I like it...



I disagree a little with Riley plays killing momentum - while there were no "loss plays" with him, those drives stalled quickly after good starts each time I saw it happen. Actually, this is where I think we stalled all together - got cute every time we got between the 40's and stalled... stick with how we got there and I think we would have rolled a little better, but we killed drives with 1st & 2nd down passes or Riley plays... I liked the aggressiveness personally, but have to admit it didn't work...
J
JamieVallen
I also disagree with Riley killing momentum. Also think JJ is still not that great of a back, he's definitely alright and usually doesn't hurt us, (except when he tends to fumble or get close to it by not holding the ball quite high and tight,) I like him a lot better as a receiver like he did well tonight, (although believe he dropped 2 he could of had). I just feel he thinks he's faster than he is and tries to scamper instead of just hitting the hole. Everytime he decided to just hit the hole tonight he seemed to get a lot more positive yardage. I doubt he'll learn given that's he's already a senior, but I think that Bryan Karia has gotten the idea of just, "Hit the hole." I know he's bigger than JJ but JJ really doesn't have the speed he thinks he does. He does have the speed to run to the outside, but only when he's still on his high school team or when he plays bottom dweller WAC/MWC teams. I know I'll probably take some heat for this, but I feel it's the truth.



****"I'D ALSO LIKE TO LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT THIS IS MY 311th POST WHICH JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS, WAHOO!" :D
B
Brayden Green
Riley's plays did not kill momentum. Bad snaps, and bad throws killed momentum.



I like it, here and there. Maybe even once a series. There is nothing wrong with keeping the offense off balance.
S
SpiffCoug
Jake needs to step into his throws more. It's what is affecting his accuracy. Because he's not consistently stepping into his throws, he's not getting consistent delivery. His throwing motion is the same,but without a proper step the ball isn't released consistently.
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Riley's plays did not kill momentum. Bad snaps, and bad throws killed momentum.



I like it, here and there. Maybe even once a series. There is nothing wrong with keeping the offense off balance.

GREAT great point. those bad snaps really did a number to the offenses timing. They took what, about 2 minutes to get to Heaps? I forgot all about that.



I liked the Nelson look. It will keep teams guessing, and after using him for simply running 3-4 games, he'll start throwing and teams won't be ready for it. I'd love for him to get a LOT of playing time against that team that likes to give games away from Logan, UT.
Advertisement
M
MountainMD
While you will be correct with your assessment of Nelson, it will mainly be because after 4 games, we won't be playing anyone who could stop him anyway. Unfortunately, I do think that there is an overall disruption to our offensive timing and that against the talented defenses we will be seeing for about 3 more weeks, I don't think the benefits outweigh the risks.
C
Cougs_Rule
RIley and the use of the wildcat does deserve its own thread.

It made very little sense when he was used. BUt I think it is a set up, a "show" if you will, for upcoming games. It will look like he is going to run and then he will step back and throw.



BUT, MY MAIN POINT IS, 4TH and short--PERFECT, PERFECT time to bring him in.

1. Jake is limited on QB sneak that long.

2. The D knows we will run it up the middle (ala Utah last year--and we did it again for crying out loud!!)

3. Riley, like Doman did against Utah at the end of the game for that touchdown years ago, could stretch it out and find a seam to get the 1st down!!!
U
Ungoy
Just so that nobody forgets, The second wildcat option run did not hurt any momentum. Riley ran for 6 yards on 2nd and 9, and on 3rd and 3 Heaps hit Jacobson in the slot for a 19 yard gain to the 19 yard line. The next play, Heaps hit Apo in the endzone for the TD. There was no loss or detriment to BYU's momentum after Riley's 4th quarter run.
B
beauso79
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Yes. It will force teams to gameplan for an option possibility.


LOL, that option Riley ran was terrible. He got rid of the ball way to early. Didn't draw the defense to him at all



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
beauso79 wrote:
Yes. It will force teams to gameplan for an option possibility.


LOL, that option Riley ran was terrible. He got rid of the ball way to early. Didn't draw the defense to him at all



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Hey, he's only a Jr. and hasn't seen much game action for 11 months. ;)



In all seriousness, he'll get better at it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.