Archived Topic

Is this what I waited all offseason to see?

by mizzoucoug · 9/3/2011

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Heaps = Engemann. He's a statue who can throw the ball 100 mph but has no instincts for just making the play.



Doman = Anae. WTF is up with this playcalling? Yes the running game is going fine but this is no different from last season. We have invisible receivers and TE's yet again! If JJ has to be our #1 guy all year again then this team is really going to suck.



I'm embarrassed for our guys so far and I see no reason why we put up any points in this game.
B
BigCougsFan
Let me guess... You want Doman's head on a platter already?



The game is not even over yet bro.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
No I don't but these are the exact same play calls from last season. I don't see any semblance of the "Old school BYU offense" out there. Apo, Hoffman, and the TE's were invisible just like last year against the few good teams we played.



Yeah we won, but things need to change quickly. That was a terrible team that we barely beat today.
B
BoiseBYU
mizzoucoug wrote:
No I don't but these are the exact same play calls from last season. I don't see any semblance of the "Old school BYU offense" out there. Apo, Hoffman, and the TE's were invisible just like last year against the few good teams we played.



Yeah we won, but things need to change quickly. That was a terrible team that we barely beat today.

I hate to see yuo when we lose
B
BigCougsFan
It was the first game of the season. You make the greatest imrpovements going in to week 2 from week 1.



I don't think we were clicking 100% at the end of last year. It won't just be corrected that easily. I wish it could though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
No, I saw a lot more bootleg rollouts this year. Saw more play action from the I-formation. Heaps needs to get better and make the plays, but he's still young.



It's just a good thing that Ole Miss had such a terrible time on offense today.
D
Dcr36
FWIW, I really didn't have any major objections to the 2nd half offensive gameplan. You change the pick-six to a TD and have the FG hit and you've got a better boxscore. Hope Sorenson plans on making 35-yarders in the future.



Doman's in a tough position these games. He's got to both learn on the job and put together wins.



Ol' Miss had one selling point going into this game and it was their O-line. We stuffed the run game and were in their backfield on a pretty regular basis.
B
Brayden Green
I expected more from the offense, and didn't like the miscues.



That said, I'll take it. When was the last time Anae came back from 10 down?
V
vancouvercougar
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I expected more from the offense, and didn't like the miscues.



That said, I'll take it. When was the last time Anae came back from 10 down?


When was the last time Anae came back from 13 down?



I loved watching Bronco congratulate the D after the Ole Miss field goals. Preventing Ole Miss TD's won this game.
K
Kajdin
I don't remember Anae using that much play-action and misdirection. Following the ball was difficult for the camera men sometimes.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Good points about Doman. But you can't help but be disappointed with Jake's throws today. He missed some wide open players multiple times and telegraphed almost everything downfield. I get that he is young but he's been pumped all offseason as being "ready" but he's far from it.
C
Cougy_Monster
Settle down a bit. It's the first game of the year and Doman's first ever as an OC.



I LOVE that we came back to win. For whatever reason Anae could never orchestrate that. Overall the play calling was good on offense. Not great yet, but good. And I have no reason to assume it won't improve over time. Really the only problem with the offense today was Heaps needed the first half to find his groove. If he picks up next week where he left off today we will have a fun time next week.



Heaps is gonna be great. He was off target for a bit today, but he didn't let it get inside his head.



The defense is an 11-headed monster. Great cohesiveness and great leadership and play calling by Bronco.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
redneckjedi
1. We won the game.

2. We put up decent numbers, including nearly 100 yards on the ground, against an SEC defense.

3. We scored a lot more than we did in Anae's debut.

4. We got great experience in hostile territory.

5. Jake was 4/4 for 48 yards and a TD on the touchdown drive. He got better under pressure, not worse.

6. Even if our offense takes a few more games to warm up, our defense is awesome.

7. The teams we play while the offense warms up are going to have their own issues on offense, and we're further along than they are.

8. We won the freaking game.



That is all. Step off the ledge, and slowly back away.
B
bplewe
I think the main reason we looked so conservative was their CB's. Against everybody but Texas Apo and/or Hoffman will have 100 yards and multiple touchdowns.
D
Dcr36
bplewe wrote:
I think the main reason we looked so conservative was their CB's. Against everybody but Texas Apo and/or Hoffman will have 100 yards and multiple touchdowns.


Yeah, we were supposed to match up well there. We had the height advantage, but I think speed-wise they were a dead heat with Apo, Hoffman and crew. Probably led to some timidness in taking deep shots.
Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
Dcr36 wrote:
I think the main reason we looked so conservative was their CB's. Against everybody but Texas Apo and/or Hoffman will have 100 yards and multiple touchdowns.


Yeah, we were supposed to match up well there. We had the height advantage, but I think speed-wise they were a dead heat with Apo, Hoffman and crew. Probably led to some timidness in taking deep shots.


With guys like that that want to use their speed to beat you, you use it against them. And that's exactly how Apo got his TD. Sold the post hard, waited for the CB to bite, and broke it back to the corner on a double move. Same thing with the play-action dump offs that were regularly going for big yardage, especially the big gainer to Alisa. As Doman gets more comfortable, he'll be able to focus more on the defense and make calls to exploit it. I think he did pretty well for his first try.
S
Schmoe
Is exciting college football what you waited for all offseason? I dunno, it's what I was waiting for.
M
mizzoucoug
Dcr36 wrote:
I think the main reason we looked so conservative was their CB's. Against everybody but Texas Apo and/or Hoffman will have 100 yards and multiple touchdowns.


Yeah, we were supposed to match up well there. We had the height advantage, but I think speed-wise they were a dead heat with Apo, Hoffman and crew. Probably led to some timidness in taking deep shots.


That first deep throw to Apo was just a bad, short throw. Apo had his guy beaten. 2nd throw was short as well but Apo again had the step. I didn't see any reason to not keep taking shots downfield.
C
Cougarbib
mizzoucoug wrote:
Good points about Doman. But you can't help but be disappointed with Jake's throws today. He missed some wide open players multiple times and telegraphed almost everything downfield. I get that he is young but he's been pumped all offseason as being "ready" but he's far from it.

if fans ever start litening to the coaches, DOman has been quoted several times this camp as saying Heaps has all the tools but is not there yet and isnot as good yet as BYU fans think he is. Doman knew. Last year they knew. Just listen to the coaches. Heaps is a Soph in week 1. He will get better and better over time. He will cruise against 6 or 7 of our late-season opponents and hopefully he will also get better against the good ones.
G
golong
As I see it, all this bodes well for next week and Texas. Texas will be so focused on our defense, and assume our offense is awful, but the offense will recover, the talent is there, and I expect a better game from Heaps and company next week. Doman will get better, Heaps will settle in, and plays will be made, points will get on the board.



Sorenson and Stevenson had also better get their heads in the game. Botched punts are game losers, and missed field goals can cost you the game against good teams.



Texas, on paper, is better than Ole Miss. I think we'll be competitive next week, and it won't take us three quarters to score points.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.