Archived Topic

BYU in Talks with Big 12

by pjmuli · 9/1/2011

Advertisement
P
pjmuli
SLTrib reporting on what this board has already known:



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/52495048-77/byu-conference-officials-football.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



It would seem to me the reason why this would not happen is because of concerns held by the Board of Trustees and what it implies for the institutions and faiths of the West Coast Conference. If I am being honest, I have a hard time thinking that the Board of Trustees will (a) care about the BCS, (b) the money, and (c) the Big XII more than they will care about the spirit of the commitment made.



Maybe someone else can enlighten me...but even if Tom Holmoe and President Samuelson are green lighting a move to the Big XII, that may not be enough.
L
Lawboy
I would be shocked if BYU turned this offer down due to an affiliation with the WCC. Yes, they gave us a soft place to land, but no, we had no idea that things would happen so fast. I think those schools would be disappointed, but are smart enough to get it. Let's give them credit. I have been told that Indy was made with an eye towards a future BCS invite, perhaps in 2014 or so, and this is sooner than expected for sure. We have to take it, or we might be left out.



Also told that the BoT could be meeting today to discuss. This fits the timeline I was given previously that has proven correct thus far by 1 source. THings could change, but I do find it interesting that BYU would finally admit talks with the Big XII for over a week, but then deny any offer? That's why we said nothing. Is that for plausible deniability? IF so--not buying it. I do not think we get this far down the road unless we plan to accept, similar to A&M not getting this far down the raod unless they plan on accepting the SEC offer that is sure to come.



1 more domino will fall--A&M's SEC invite--and then I suspect the next domino will have a BYU logo on it, and it will ead to the Big XII.
K
KYCoug
My question is when did we suddenly become concerned with "commitments" to conferences. We were called traitors when we left the WAC and many felt the same way when we left the MWC. Now conference loyalty is suddenly important?
B
byufan4ever
Yeah, but we didn't join the WAC or MWC saying we'd be there long-term and then jolt after one year.
L
Lawboy
I still say go back to the original presser that the WCC had when they announced BYU was joining, and their commissioner said they are glad to have BYU "for as long as BYU wants to be here". THey knew the realities of what could happen. THey are not dumb, and neither are teh BYU admin who negotiated that deal. BCS was always in play.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Still not convinced we say yes. Maybe because I want it too much I just assume it won't happen. Anyone think the BOT blows the whole thing up?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KYCoug
byufan4ever wrote:
Yeah, but we didn't join the WAC or MWC saying we'd be there long-term and then jolt after one year.


To me it's business, if I make an agreement with a supplier I would like it to be long term but if the situation changes and I get a much better deal elsewhere I'm gone. Everyone seems to try to make this "commitment" to the WCC an "eternal marriage". They don't even offer all the sports we have teams for and after we totally dominate every sport they do have for a couple of years they will be glad to see us go. I say if the situation has changed then we should look out for our best interest and that's not to a uneven relationship to a conference we have no natural ties to.
R
radius19
The situation surely has gotten sticky. If BYU was trying to avoid throwing a pie in the face of the Big XII if they don't join the conference by keeping it quiet, that cat is out of the bag. It really is impossible to not embarrass them now if BYU does not join the conference. Does this lead the Big XII to give BYU the assurances that they were driving for that apparently weren't met in time for their press release yesterday? Who knows, maybe we'll never know what is going on, I sure don't expect to know everything. I'm just really really praying that the players aren't concerned about this at all and are completely focused on saturday.
J
jonnylingo
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Still not convinced we say yes. Maybe because I want it too much I just assume it won't happen. Anyone think the BOT blows the whole thing up?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


be convinced. all the stars point to that. saying no would have huge consequences for the big12 and for byu.
B
byufan4ever
KYCoug wrote:
Yeah, but we didn't join the WAC or MWC saying we'd be there long-term and then jolt after one year.


To me it's business, if I make an agreement with a supplier I would like it to be long term but if the situation changes and I get a much better deal elsewhere I'm gone. Everyone seems to try to make this "commitment" to the WCC an "eternal marriage". They don't even offer all the sports we have teams for and after we totally dominate every sport they do have for a couple of years they will be glad to see us go. I say if the situation has changed then we should look out for our best interest and that's not to a uneven relationship to a conference we have no natural ties to.


I work in business and I know what you're saying, but your word has to mean something and does to the owners fo BYU. We have a company that has spurned us on several partnerships in the past and we will never do business with them again. They did nothing wrong legally, but they have damaged their REPUTATION. Enough said.
Advertisement
R
rblack
If we are going, which I don't know, I predict that they are waiting for the week leading up to the Texas game. This will generate the most publicity. It will develop conversation regarding the game and it will get people to tune into the Texas game. If I am right, you will start to have (intentional) leaks flying on Monday that an invite has been extended and you will have an announcement on Thursday.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.